Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Planning required for gate?

Options
  • 11-05-2021 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Hi

See pics attached. Would planning be required for a gateway into field as outlined in red?

Thanks

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 40,981 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Agricultural gate?

Do you own the area you want to come out onto?

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

BullBauld wrote: »
    Hi

See pics attached. Would planning be required for a gateway into field as outlined in red?

Thanks

As there looks to be a fence there already...a gate would be classed as part of that existing fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭BullBauld

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Agricultural gate?

Do you own the area you want to come out onto?

Yes just an agricultural gate for access. I own the field and the house/driveway.

I have access to the land off the main road behind me where I took that picture but it's horrid dangerous, a very busy road. Would be handy to pull in/out from my own driveway.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭landcrzr

Officially, yes you probably need planning as the road is greater than 4m wide.
    Unofficially, if its going to be safer and it's onto the drive in front of your own house.... at worst you might need to get retention.

landcrzr wrote: »
    Officially, yes you probably need planning as the road is greater than 4m wide.
    Unofficially, if its going to be safer and it's onto the drive in front of your own house.... at worst you might need to get retention.

Cheers for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭monseiur

I assume that the driveway is your private property, why would you need planning for a gate from this to your field ? The gate that you propose to erect does not lead directly on to the main road, same a gate between two of your fields. If you were proposing to put a gate between, say, the two Eircom poles in photo then you would have reason to be concerned re. planning etc.

monseiur wrote: »
    I assume that the driveway is your private property, why would you need planning for a gate from this to your field ? The gate that you propose to erect does not lead directly on to the main road, same a gate between two of your fields. If you were proposing to put a gate between, say, the two Eircom poles in photo then you would have reason to be concerned re. planning etc.

Thanks. Just making sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Hagimalone

Be careful, in one sense its safer but it is very dangerous in another way. If you propose coming out the gate and turning left with a bale trailer, you will be turning back against yourself and same entering the field from this direction. Sightlines are very poor, it's perfect if you are just coming out in a tractor. But you have to think about contractors.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Very poor advice. The proposal would require planning. Whether directly to the road or via a hard shoulder is irrelevant. Its either creating a new entrance or intensifying the use of an existing entrance. Either way planning is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭monseiur

muffler wrote: »
    Very poor advice. The proposal would require planning. Whether directly to the road or via a hard shoulder is irrelevant. Its either creating a new entrance or intensifying the use of an existing entrance. Either way planning is required.
    Judging by the photo there is no hard shoulder, it's the OP's private driveway. The entrance / egress is on to private property.
    Big difference when it comes to planning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Judging by the photo there is no hard shoulder, it's the OP's private driveway. The entrance / egress is on to private property.
    Big difference when it comes to planning.
    You're obviously not familiar with planning requirements.

Advertisement