Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spice bag

• 13-05-2021 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Digging up an old thread but where does the best quality Spice Bag in Galway please?

Thanks,
    Pa.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Redo91

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,

Digging up an old thread but where does the best quality Spice Bag in Galway please?

Thanks,
    Pa.

Got to be Xian Street food.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Xian is extra nice because of the sausage they throw in there which reminds me of chorizo.

We've found the Cappagh megabox to be nearly as good and plenty generous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Xian, hands down.

They have a spice bucket (which includes chicken, wings & sausage), but when I got it, it was in one of those take away boxes so the condensation built up. The spice bag is, well, a bag and transports much better. It's also €7 v €12, and I think it is much better value in terms of portion size.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I've tried the Spice bag from Xian Street food in Claregalway. Nice but someone said it's not the same people who run the restaurant in town. Anyone tried food from both locations?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Xian, hands down.

They have a spice bucket (which includes chicken, wings & sausage), but when I got it, it was in one of those take away boxes so the condensation built up. The spice bag is, well, a bag and transports much better. It's also €7 v €12, and I think it is much better value in terms of portion size.

Ah, yeah it is super-delicate to transport fried food. For my location that's why Cappagh works so well because it's really close, arrives in a cardboard pizza box, and I lop that straight into a pre-heated oven for 15 mins until ready to serve up.

Ruining the crispiness in a plastic container is a crime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,079 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The cappagh Chinese does nice curry sauce in the spicebox but I recall being a bit turned off by the chicken.

++ for xian
    Have tried too many

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

+1 for Xian, had one on Saturday. They should have sent a poet to describe it, instead of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Jaden wrote: »
    +1 for Xian, had one on Saturday. They should have sent a poet to describe it, instead of me.

Same as. My wife ordered one and I didn't Saturday night:confused: - I have never had one before in my defense.

Tasted hers and had an immediate transcendental out of body experience. Now I feel hollow inside and question my wasted life and what i have done with it up to my spice bag awakening last Saturday night.

All hail the Xian Spice bag!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

....had an immediate transcendental out of body experience. Now I feel hollow inside and question my wasted life and what i have done with it up to my spice bag awakening last Saturday night.

All hail the Xian Spice bag!

You are that poet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭topcat77

Xian spice bag or bucket?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Some unrelated old news removed.

topcat77 wrote: »

Either will do.
    I usually get the bag the oh gets the small bucket (it huge).
    Bag has crispy chicken and the few shredded veggies and chips.
    And the bucket comes with all the above plus chirizo ( or some kind of sausage) and chicken wings included I believe!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Notch000

i've never had a spicebag :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭Hoboo

topcat77 wrote: »

Humans shouldn't be eating buckets :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭wassie

That's right. You smoke them....then go out and get a spice bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭dmc17

Notch000 wrote: »
    i've never had a spicebag :(

Neither have I. Might have to venture in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Spice bag from The Rose Garden in Westside shopping centre is very very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Joejopper

Jalan Jalan best spice bag imo

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

Have mainly had from Xi An. Used to be about once a week .

Only other one i really remember is Chans which is a bit soggier. Xi An seems to make everything crispy including the onion and things it bungs in with the chicken and the chips. May actually verge on the dry buut I found it something I was returning for.
    To th eexclusion of teh rest of their menu I think. Which is worth getting to know too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 NebraTZ

Xian - by miles

• Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭dinneenp

NebraTZ wrote: »
    Xian - by miles

Next time I'm in town I'm definitely trying it. High expectations now!

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭-Vega-

Going to throw Samyo out in Salthill in the running here. They have a sexy meal where they give a Spicebag and a sauce or two and a coke. Really tasty, the spicy sausage in Xian is nice but Xian spice bags have dropped off.

Gotten greasier, way too salty and just full of burnt bits. The main guy that made them before and got the fame isn't there as far as I know? Its definitely dropped in quality!

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Paddico

Redo91 wrote: »
    Got to be Xian Street food.

Think this made me laugh .... I'm sure theyve never heard of a spice bag in downtown Xian, but sure we'll call it street food all the same :D

Advertisement