Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicago Police Started Secret Drone Program Using Untraceable Cash

• 12-05-2021 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,117 ✭✭✭✭

https://gizmodo.com/chicago-police-started-secret-drone-program-using-untra-1846875252

That's gonna be a 'no' for me. Public institution, public funds, public knowledge, public oversight.
    The Chicago Police Department started a secret drone program using untraceable money seized in drug raids and other criminal investigations, according to a bombshell new report from the Chicago Sun-Times.

The drone program is reportedly used for crime scene photos and terrorism-related issues, among other investigations, according to internal Chicago Police Department emails obtained by activist group Distributed Denial of Secrets and reviewed by the Sun-Times.

The emails, sent by Karen Conway, director of Chicago’s police research and development, indicate roughly $7.7 million was spent on operating expenses for various programs in the city using off-the-books cash, though it’s not clear how much of that money was invested in drones. The money, so-called “1505 funds,” is used on plenty of other shady police stuff like Stingrays for cellphone tracking.

Chicago’s police corruption and abuse of power was infamous in the 20th century, but reached new heights in the past decade after it was revealed the CPD operated a black site in the city where torture and extrajudicial interrogations were conducted. And revelations about how Chicago is funding a secret drone program through unaccountable funds is almost predictable, given the history of Chicago politics.

When asked about the drone program, Chicago Police told the Sun-Times that they investigate “every tool available” as well as any “innovative opportunities” for maintaining “public safety.”

“CPD has strict guidelines for all tools and programs to ensure individual privacy, civil rights, civil liberties and other interests are protected,” a CPD spokesperson told the Sun-Times. “We also meet with community partners to make certain that all enforcement efforts meet the highest standards and have support among the individuals Chicago police officers are sworn to serve and protect.”

Clearly their 'strict guidelines' need work if they overlook "other interests" - like public oversight. The only reason journalists learned about it was a hack by Distributed Denial of Secrets group.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭hawley

I'm finding this article difficult to fully understand. How are the CPD able to get away with torturing suspects in an disused building? I know that their police force is notoriously corrupt.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,117 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

hawley wrote: »
    I'm finding this article difficult to fully understand. How are the CPD able to get away with torturing suspects in an disused building? I know that their police force is notoriously corrupt.

That, sadly, was news to me as well but it came to light years ago

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/oct/19/homan-square-chicago-police-disappeared-thousands

Disgusting things happen when there is no oversight

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Drexel_3

hawley wrote: »

That's fairly shocking tbh. Not doing themselves any favours getting up to **** like that

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

Is this now the “news from the USA” forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I definitely trust that all the drug money was used for secret drone ops and none of the cops took any for themselves..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Have American police personally harmed you? Every single thread on the topic you are all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭hawley

Overheal wrote: »
    That, sadly, was news to me as well but it came to light years ago

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/oct/19/homan-square-chicago-police-disappeared-thousands

Disgusting things happen when there is no oversight
    I wasn't aware of just how much corruption there was in the CPD. The idea of torturing and disappearing people is so out of line with how we see things happening in democracies. How was this level of corruption allowedto continue unfettered?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Normal One wrote: »

No, we also get “updates” of migrant crime in Sweden.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 25,348 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Why click on a thread clearly titled "Chicago Police Started Secret Drone Program Using Untraceable Cash" just to whinge about the thread being about said US city?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,112 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

No, we also get “updates” of migrant crime in Sweden.

At least that's all kept to one thread...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

At least that's all kept to one thread...

Mod

Quit backseat modding. Discuss the topic or dont post. Those are the options.

Advertisement