Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neura hot water tank leaking.

• 09-09-2017 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

I just found my Neura 300L hot water tank leaking. It is heated using a geothermal heat pump. It was installed eight years ago. In that time the company that supplied it has gone out of business.

I am trying to find a supplier online.

Does anyone know if it's possible to just swap out the tank and keep the heat pump?

Also if anyone knows of a supplier it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 AppleMuncher

Hi

This is possible, I had to do it with my own system.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Northern lassie

Just resurrecting this thread ... my Neura tank is leaking too. Wondering would anyone know of a supplier/fitter of these ..... not that the guy in Mayo as he won't answer his phone... disaster to deal with.

Alternatively would anyone have contact details ... email if possible ... for Neura in Austria ... have tried their phone number but its not working.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Cyloncity

Just resurrecting this thread ... my Neura tank is leaking too. Wondering would anyone know of a supplier/fitter of these ..... not that the guy in Mayo as he won't answer his phone... disaster to deal with.

Alternatively would anyone have contact details ... email if possible ... for Neura in Austria ... have tried their phone number but its not working.

Thanks

Hi, I recently moved to an old place with a neura geothermal heat pump installed and was eager to find out any info on the system and after many hours trawling the internet found that the company are no longer. A lot of their work seemed to go to Pico energy in Austria. Through an email there, I got directed to Glenergy as some sort of Irish rep. I haven't gone any further as thankfully ours is working but if you need the specific name pm me and I can give it to you.
    I have no idea if this will be a dead end as that's as far as I got.
    Would be interested to hear how you find the system before the leak.

Thanks for reply Cyloncity

Will shoot off an email to Pico Energy and see what they say about supplying a hot want cylinder.

We built our house in 2007 and put in geothermal heating and solar panels. We love the system, with underfloor system the house is always nice and warm and the bills are okay too. However the big problem is maintenance. The company we used for installation went out of business in the bust and since then it has been very tricky. That is a big worry. If our cylinder problem get bad, we're really screwed!

Thanks for reply Cyloncity

Will shoot off an email to Pico Energy and see what they say about supplying a hot want cylinder.

We built our house in 2007 and put in geothermal heating and solar panels. We love the system, with underfloor system the house is always nice and warm and the bills are okay too. However the big problem is maintenance. The company we used for installation went out of business in the bust and since then it has been very tricky. That is a big worry. If our cylinder problem get bad, we're really screwed!

The system was put in here around then I believe too. Very likely to be the same company(Carlow based). If the company is out of Business I assume it's ok to name them? I registered just to reply to your question. I know very little about plumbing but I think the bigger problem might be the heat pump itself. I'd guess a tank should be fairly interchangeable? Some scary stories regarding prices to fix compressors and inverters because of the odd setup on the neura system. No idea if true but fingers crossed they stay working.
    Are your solar panels for hot water only? That's what we inherited. It's a separate tank with a heater on the front if additional heat is needed. The tank for hot water is by another Austrian company Austria email😀 and they still exist at least so they might also be able to give you some info on the heating tank. Can post links as I'm a newbie but it's easily found . Pm if you like.
    Ours is not on their list but is an older 500 er model. They may even have produced the heating tank too.
    Also do you have any radiators? We have some but they are struggling a bit to heat sufficiently.
    Be very interested to here how you get on with Pico energy. Can give you an email for some guy there that contacted me if you like.
    There seems to be more neura customers out there than I thought so if anyone is interested, I wouldn't mind forming a support group ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Blacksky

I have a Neura Heat Pump installed circa 2004. No great issues with it for the first 12 years other than possibly more expensive to run than I initially thought.
    First problem occurred following a power cut which damaged the inverter. Simple solution at that time was a replacement supplied by original supplier. (At that time was no longer in this business but provided an inverter to me). Cost was 1400 euros but this was covered by my house insurance.
    Second problem was leaking water tank. Once again relatively simple as I contacted the original manufacturer of these tanks in Austria and they supplied a replacement. Cost was 800 euro with approximately 400 euros extra for transportation. My plumber was able to fit it as its only a matter of disconnecting the original pipe work and water heat pump (located on the front of the water tank) and reconnecting to the new tank. Approximately 200 euros.
    Also replaced the compressor in 2016. Replaced by a refrigeration contractor who fitted and supplied same for 1800 euros.
    This same contractor re-gassed the system recently following an issue with a leak. Possibly caused by a car reversing into unit in garden!!.
    Pico Energy have assumed the business of Neura with Glenergy their Irish agents. Located in Kilcoole, Wicklow.
    Good idea from previous poster in relation to a group who have Nuera Heat Pumps installed.
    Anyone require further information about tank supplier, compressor replacement/repair please pm me.

Thanks for replies.

I have contacted Pico and Glenergy to ask about supplying a water cylinder. Will post back when I get replies.

I'd be interested in joining a Neura group to share information. Although, neither of us are very technically minded and reply on our plumber to help us out a bit.

Thanks for replies.

I have contacted Pico and Glenergy to ask about supplying a water cylinder. Will post back when I get replies.

I'd be interested in joining a Neura group to share information. Although, neither of us are very technically minded and reply on our plumber to help us out a bit.

Best of luck with replies!
    I started a thread in plumbing and heating ( probably wrong place) to see could we gather a group for support or ideas.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058175521/1/#post116802295

Might take a while but would be nice even to see if people have manuals or what not, that might help.

PS. My technical ability allowed me to realise the green lump in our garden was for our heat!

Thanks for replies.

Hi just wondering did you have any luck with Pico/Glenergy?

Neither of them replied. I haven't followed them up either. The same week I emailed them both, I heard from someone else who promised last November to order and fit a new tank for me to say that it was being shipped. Coincidence??

• Advertisement

Neither of them replied. I haven't followed them up either. The same week I emailed them both, I heard from someone else who promised last November to order and fit a new tank for me to say that it was being shipped. Coincidence??

Very poor form from both and not inspiring much confidence.
    As for your tank being shipped 7 months later that's just bizarre. Any date/year for an install?
    Is your tank hanging in there?

On a probably unrelated topic...how is your lawn above your collectors? This is only our 2nd spring here and this year the lawn is super soft and boggy in patches. Not sure if that's as a result of poorly laid backfill when the system was put in but it didn't seem anywhere near the Everglades this time last year....

Cyloncity wrote: »
    Very poor form from both and not inspiring much confidence.
    As for your tank being shipped 7 months later that's just bizarre. Any date/year for an install?
    Is your tank hanging in there?

No update yet on installation.

Yep tank hanging in there so far ... just leaking a small bit ... we're shagged if it gets any worse!

On a probably unrelated topic...how is your lawn above your collectors? This is only our 2nd spring here and this year the lawn is super soft and boggy in patches. Not sure if that's as a result of poorly laid backfill when the system was put in but it didn't seem anywhere near the Everglades this time last year....

Can't help here at all ... we're in our house 13 years and haven't had a problem with the lawn TG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Out of interest what water supply are the guys with leaking tanks using? Mains supply or domestic well?

Car99 wrote: »
    Out of interest what water supply are the guys with leaking tanks using? Mains supply or domestic well?

We have our own well. Do you think that makes a difference?

We have our own well. Do you think that makes a difference?

Yep it can make a difference . I'm not sure on the science but I do know that some companies wont give a warranty with their tanks if they are used in a system that uses well water. Fitting a sacrificial anode to the tank can help. I asked a well know tank manufacturer why is well water not covered and he said something about oxygen levels but he didnt explain it in depth. I didnt ask more because I wasnt sure he knew exactly.

I wonder if hardness/limescale in the supply might be another reason. you can see what it does to a kettle so id imagine the tank would be similar. Do you have any issues with limescale/hardness?

I wonder if hardness/limescale in the supply might be another reason. you can see what it does to a kettle so id imagine the tank would be similar. Do you have any issues with limescale/hardness?

I think the timescale would make it less efficient but I wouldnt expect it to cause leaks , 99% of the time a tank leak if not at a connection will be because of corrosion .

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭jimmyging

Car99 wrote: »
    I think the timescale would make it less efficient but I wouldnt expect it to cause leaks , 99% of the time a tank leak if not at a connection will be because of corrosion .

We have a neura geothermal system 10 years now and have had the same problems ,blown inverter ,leaking propane gas from the system ,another blown inverter , leaking tank (which my plumber fixed by removing and getting a friend of his to reseal)
    The leaking tank seems to be heavy metals in our well water corroding the bottom of the tank .We have an anode which needs to be replaced every year which seems to keep the problem at bay but it will be an eventual tank replacement which my plumber has said will be about €800 fitted .
    Great system but antiquated now with the new air to water systems.
    They are very expensive to run though ,does anybody know the COP on them?

• Advertisement

jimmyging wrote: »
    We have a neura geothermal system 10 years now and have had the same problems ,blown inverter ,leaking propane gas from the system ,another blown inverter , leaking tank (which my plumber fixed by removing and getting a friend of his to reseal)
    The leaking tank seems to be heavy metals in our well water corroding the bottom of the tank .We have an anode which needs to be replaced every year which seems to keep the problem at bay but it will be an eventual tank replacement which my plumber has said will be about €800 fitted .
    Great system but antiquated now with the new air to water systems.

Can I ask how you new you had a leaking gas problem? And also had you any issues with the lawn area. Specifically localised poor drainage.
    Thanks

They are very expensive to run though ,does anybody know the COP on them?[/quote]

The brochure I have says...

the compressor requires a certain amount of energy, it does, however, produce 4-5 times the amount of heat which it requires to operate....

That's from the brochure left in the house from the previous owners.

That makes it cop of between 4 and 5 I think?
    Doubt that's the real world value though

The brochure I have says...

the compressor requires a certain amount of energy, it does, however, produce 4-5 times the amount of heat which it requires to operate....

That's from the brochure left in the house from the previous owners.

That makes it cop of between 4 and 5 I think?
    Doubt that's the real world value though[/QUOTE]

Thats interesting thank you as I have long lost the manual I'm afraid .
    I have no drainage issues on the lawn over the geothermal but the green tank has tilted which I dont see anymore as I have surrounded it with tall grasses.

I knew we had the leak as the house was freezing ....

I can put up a few pics from what I have if you like. It's more of a flyer/brochure than a manual though. Nothing of any real detail in it. About 8 glossy pages on they different types of pumps neura did and how they work in principle. Would love to see an actual manual if one existed as I inherited the system I never got one.
    I'm expecting something to go wrong with ours soon so if you had details of who did any work for you on it that you wouldn't mind sharing that would be great.

Hi all , just a quick question on my neura geothermal heat pump . This is the energy usage during the night and as you can see it’s calling for heat 3-4 times an hour . There are thermostats in most rooms in the house which I suspect is the problem . I could change the thermostats to digital but I don’t think that would change anything or just disconnect the stats and go with one main thermostat . Any advice would be hugely appreciated .

I wouldn't know much about it but if I had to guess have you one room that's maybe less insulted/more exposed? If it was struggling to maintain temperature then the stat will be calling for heat more often? Maybe worth turning it's stat way down to see if that makes a difference. Also if that's from the last few nights then I suppose it was much colder/freezing and your usage is going to spike surely. That's my thoughts but it's purely guesswork.

Btw that would be similar I think to my usage at 30 units a day if I'm reading it right. I don't have any fancy apps like that only the old ESB bill😀

Turn down one thermostat per night and check what the system does each night . Isolate each rea to see if their is a problem

Thank you for your comments .Yes I think turning off the stats one by one makes sense even though there are a lot of them ....Many thanks again for the advice .

• Advertisement
Advertisement