Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone vaccine hesitant?

• 13-05-2021 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

The vaccines are new and nobody knows what the long term effects will be. There may be absolutely none. For me, there has been virtually no mention or discussion of any of this in the media or just in general.

For example, if you develop something else that's not related to Covid, how might your immune system or other systems respond if you have that spike protein response the vaccine gives?

I am not a scientist or medically trained so I am just speculating. Of course we trust people with various aspects of life, so why not here.

One reason is there is very much this narrative of "we want to get back to normal > the vaccine will get us there". That's fine but ultimately there are a vast number of healthy people who are getting it who would likely only get a mild dose of Covid, if they got it.

And yes, I realise that herd immunity helps those who can't get the vaccine for one reason or another - I do get it!

Then there is the vaccine passport element, and that is concerning because it's fine if it runs alongside a negative test being ok to travel. But having a vaccine passport as THE requirement to travel is not a route we want to go down, for obvious reasons.

Who knows if it will be a requirement a year from now though? And will long term effects of the vaccine start to emerge then, or later?

I know these are "what-ifs". I am not anti-vax, but I am also someone who thinks critically and doesn't just go blindly along with a narrative. I believe it's best to make an informed decision and I hope that's what people are doing.

So, are you vaccine hesitant or not?

Are you vaccine hesitant or all for it? 40 votes

I am all for it and not looking at these issues much or at all
    77% 31 votes
    I am all for it but considering these factors in my decision
    17% 7 votes
    I have not yet decided to take one / am not taking any of the Covid vaccines
    5% 2 votes
    I have reviewed all the medical advice and decided that it's perfectly safe, like all the other vaccines I've had in my life
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

I am - I know that the benifits far out weight the risks. but the long term effects of the Vaccine are not truely known yet.
    So we do not know if the long term effect out weight the risks.

However if I was at high risk myself I would not be hesitant. Thanks OP for letting me get that off my chest.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

There's no option for "I have reviewed all the medical advice and decided that it's perfectly safe, like all the other vaccines I've had in my life".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Just so everyone is aware, the OP has made disingenuous, scientifically inaccurate and probability illiterate posts in the vaccine megathread. The OP has also refused to engage with posters who have refuted his claims, pointed out his inconsistencies, lack of knowledge or misunderstandings. The OP seems to have no real intention of doing anything other than spreading vaccine scepticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭lastusername

Just so everyone is aware, the OP has made disingenuous, scientifically inaccurate and probability illiterate posts in the vaccine megathread. The OP has also refused to engage with posters who have refuted his claims, pointed out his inconsistencies, lack of knowledge or misunderstandings. The OP seems to have no real intention of doing anything other than spreading vaccine scepticism.

“Probability illiterate?”. Hilariously ironic.

Focus on the topic at hand please. I responded to all previous false claims and am simply asking questions. Stop trying to derail by making false and baseless claims. It IS possible to debate and ask questions without having to be labelled as this that and the other. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,088 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I responded to all previous false claims and am simply asking questions.

Just Asking Questions. Thats what moon landing deniers and 9/11 truthers always said.

JAQing off, I believe it is called.

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    There's no option for "I have reviewed all the medical advice and decided that it's perfectly safe, like all the other vaccines I've had in my life".

The others you’ve had weren’t approved in the space of weeks. None of the current vaccines have formal approval anywhere in the world, only conditional and emergency approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Focus on the topic at hand please. I responded to all previous false claims and am simply asking questions. Stop trying to derail by making false and baseless claims. It IS possible to debate and ask questions without having to be labelled as this that and the other. Thanks.

Lol, you didn’t respond to all previously false claims. You were lambasted in the vaccine thread and rightly so. Whenever refutations were made against your arguments, you just said “I’m just asking questions man, you have to question the official narrative!” You’re not a medical professional, you have next to no idea what you are talking about. You didn’t debate in good faith in the previous thread.

My typo in my previous post was due to autocorrect on my phone.

Just Asking Questions. Thats what moon landing deniers and 9/11 truthers always said.

JAQing off, I believe it is called.

Interesting you know the term, hadn’t heard of it myself...

There’s a middle ground.

Lol, you didn’t respond to all previously false claims. You were lambasted in the vaccine thread and rightly so. Whenever refutations were made against your arguments, you just said “I’m just asking questions man, you have to question the official narrative!” You’re not a medical professional, you have next to no idea what you are talking about. You didn’t debate in good faith in the previous thread.

My typo in my previous post was due to autocorrect on my phone.

Are you a medical professional then? So nobody who is qualified in a field can ask questions or question a narrative? You must just go along with whatever you're told so, good for you.

I did debate in good faith and as far as I could see got no response to my most recent posts. Are you saying that the vaccines aren't new and couldn't have long term side effects? Are you saying anyone not going along with mainstream narrative / consensus should be "lambasted"?

Whatever about typos, don't call someone's post illiterate before proofreading your own, lol. I am perfectly literate and articulate, thanks!

Again, answer the questions and debate them in an open way, instead of just trying to shut down people because you're scared or just happy to go along with the consensus.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭bladespin

All for it for me but my children won't be getting it for a good while (if they do decide to give it to children that is), I'm happy with the minute risk myself but there's always a risk.

• Advertisement

Your poll options are completely off.

You're assuming anyone who is comfortable with taking a vaccine is ignorant of any potential issues, which is clearly ridiculous.

rtron wrote: »
    I am - I know that the benifits far out weight the risks. but the long term effects of the Vaccine are not truely known yet.
    So we do not know if the long term effect out weight the risks.

However if I was at high risk myself I would not be hesitant. Thanks OP for letting me get that off my chest.

Thank you for voicing your opinion and for saying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Nope, stick it in me. We don't know the long-term effects of Covid either and I don't know if I'd be one of the fortunate ones that gets off with a mild dose or is worse off.

🤪

Flying Fox wrote: »
    Your poll options are completely off.

You're assuming anyone who is comfortable with taking a vaccine is ignorant of any potential issues, which is clearly ridiculous.

I was in a bit of a rush posting but I doubt anyone is ignorant in that sense and that those choosing option 1 are still aware just haven't looked closely at it (which is fine).

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Nope, stick it in me. We don't know the long-term effects of Covid either and I don't know if I'd be one of the fortunate ones that gets off with a mild dose or is worse off.

True, have thought of that myself!

I was in a bit of a rush posting but I doubt anyone is ignorant in that sense and that those choosing option 1 are still aware just haven't looked closely at it (which is fine).

You can look closely at it and conclude that you're comfortable taking a vaccine.

You're making a massive assumption that anyone who looks closely at the data will agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I have done as much research as I can and am all for it. I am due my second vaccine in the next week due to my job. As far as I have read, the reason the vaccine approval could happen so quickly is because all the usual funding and grant requests, waiting for approval at various stages and other red tape issues were side lined to allow it to be used sooner, but the usual testing and checks were all done as usual.

Flying Fox wrote: »
    You can look closely at it and conclude that you're comfortable taking a vaccine.

You're making a massive assumption that anyone who looks closely at the data will agree with you.

I am not looking for people to agree with me, I am looking to hear what people think. Not sure why I would want them to agree. I am interested to hear what their view is, having considered these issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Why are you asking us the questions? Do you think we will know? We have access only to the same information you do. You're 'simply' trying to sow seeds of doubt in the minds of complete strangers. It's pretty petty and ****ty behaviour I have to say. Make up your own mind and stay out of other people's decisions.

As for my choice, you wonder why it's needed when most people will have mild reaction to COVID. That's completely true, but more than a few people have a poor reaction to it too and experience bad illness. Why take the chance. Far more have a very bad reaction to COVID than from the vaccine. Based on that risk I will get it when offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bb12

got a text from gp this morning that vaccine is now available to me. however i also have doubts about the speed that these were developed. i'm not anti-vaxx per se but i'm happy to go to back of the queue before deciding whether to take it or not.

• Advertisement

I have done as much research as I can and am all for it. I am due my second vaccine in the next week due to my job. As far as I have read, the reason the vaccine approval could happen so quickly is because all the usual funding and grant requests, waiting for approval at various stages and other red tape issues were side lined to allow it to be used sooner, but the usual testing and checks were all done as usual.

True, I know that. I am not sure what the approval timeline was for the range of other common vaccines out there - I would need to research that. I have little doubt all or the vast majority were in trials for many months or years before approval though, as that's standard.

Any adverse effects have been observed within 6 weeks of innoculation though historically, which is reassuring. mRNA vaccines are new though.

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Why are you asking us the questions? Do you think we will know? We have access only to the same information you do. You're 'simply' trying to sow seeds of doubt in the minds of complete strangers. It's pretty petty and ****ty behaviour I have to say. Make up your own mind and stay out of other people's decisions.

It's possible to have a discussion on a topic without an agenda, right? How does having a debate or discussion have anything to do with making decisions?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,088 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

bb12 wrote: »
    got a text from gp this morning that vaccine is now available to me. however i also have doubts about the speed that these were developed. i'm not anti-vaxx per se but i'm happy to go to back of the queue before deciding whether to take it or not.

My thought is that when people talk about the long term effects, really they are talking in terms of years. Like thalidomide or asbestos, where the damaging effects weren't really known about until years or decades later.

So I don't see much value in waiting another few months before deciding, the level of information available isn't going to be that much different between now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I am all for it but have hesitations where my kids are concerned.
    I got jabbed on Tuesday, but then I'm 50, have three children and dont want more so and neither does my wife.
    Maybe there will be issues down the road but my body my choice.
    The little un's, particularily the two girls I'm very on the fence about, who knows what the future might bring there? I'll go with the science as much as possible but they won't be first in line.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

I’m on the fence, I’m not high risk of a serious outcome form the virus so I’ve not decided yet, my children won’t be getting it as like they’ve always said it’s not serious for children who are not high risk.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,125 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

You can discuss vaccines in the vaccine megathread

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058177414

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement