Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Huawei P Smart 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭long_b

NB
    "The P smart 2021 is powered by Huawei Mobile Services and does not feature Google Mobile Services which means it will not come with apps like YouTube or Gmail installed"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭cena

long_b wrote: »
    NB
    "The P smart 2021 is powered by Huawei Mobile Services and does not feature Google Mobile Services which means it will not come with apps like YouTube or Gmail installed"

Can't they downloaded off Google play store

cena wrote: »
    Can't they downloaded off Google play store
    It doesn't have any google services. So no play store.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

It very straight forward to side load play store/services.

It's not ideal but a 5 minute process with plenty of YouTube tutorials available that will show exactly how it's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

Jacksie66. wrote: »
    It doesn't have any google services. So no play store.

Strange, I have the 2019 version and it has all the google apps. i got it on special as well for about 100 when it was new 2 christmases ago and i still use it as I dont need anything better. Really good value for the money, still runs really snappy, has never gone laggy or run out of memory. Chrome crashes the odd time but thats probs cuz i have a gazillion tabs open. Cameras are quite adequate, not as good as iphone but good enough to put up on your socials etc.

But I dunno how they expect to sell a phone without those standard apps. I guess I wont be buying a huawei next time. I know they're a shady data robbing crowd of you know what's but for the price on offer they can have at it. I don't know how to side load though so if there's no play store that's a problem for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 gallygof

Are these phones locked to vodafone? Vodafone say yes but got pixel 3a in previous offer and was unlocked

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

gallygof wrote: »
    Are these phones locked to vodafone? Vodafone say yes but got pixel 3a in previous offer and was unlocked

Pixels (google) are generally unlocked but they're the exception.

My previous p20 lite was locked and just to note Huawei phones are generally more expensive than other brands to unlock (€40 & 7 working days approx).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I unlocked a Huawei phone maybe 18 months ago and used DC Unlocker and it cost about €5.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

i got a Xiaomi and previously a pixel off vodafone and it was unlocked. these phones are off the shelf. no vodafone apps etc pre-installed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

long_b wrote: »
    NB

I got rid of a P40 pro for this reason. I was able to downgrade the OS. install google services, upgrade the OS again. I had all working but then notifications wouldn't work for some apps. I installed apps to combat this but it was a pain. Then to top it all off Microsoft Authenticator would not work on it and I needed it for work.

I loved the phone but it broke me I have to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

yabadabado wrote: »
    I unlocked a Huawei phone maybe 18 months ago and used DC Unlocker and it cost about €5.

Yeah. DC doesn't work on the newer models anymore with locked bootloaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Buffman

The lack of NFC on this put me off more than the lack of Google support, I put the extra €30 onto it and went for the Redmi Note 9 for €100 instead.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Site Banned Posts: 21 greenfarm

Buffman wrote: »
    The lack of NFC on this put me off more than the lack of Google support, I put the extra €30 onto it and went for the Redmi Note 9 for €100 instead.

No NFC is massive, crazy oversight

Advertisement