Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cycle to the sea!

• 12-05-2021 7:05pm

Hi all, I am planning on cycling to the coast for a day, just to do something different, I’ll be coming from Blessington direction and going over Sally gap or Wicklow gap, but I’m not familiar with the roads past there, beyond Laragh etc , which would be the best route to cycle to get to Wicklow coast? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

If you come over Sally Gap you will end up in Roundwood and from there it is an easy cycle down to Newtonmountkennedy and on to Newcastle to the coast. From Roundwood you can also go to Wicklow town via Ashford
    If you go over Wicklow Gap you will end up in Laragh and from there you could get to Rathdrum and on to Brittas Bay.
    You are probably talking 60kms from Blessington itself so a round trip of 120kms to Brittas and probably 90 or 100kms to coast north of Wicklow. Plenty of climbing too. Especially on the way back!!

Roads are pretty good although busy at weekends.

thanks Seaswimmer! was looking at a route on Strava and was getting close to 125kms with nearly 2km of climbing which would be a good day out. Might give it a shot in 2 weeks when I have some time off work

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Just remember you need to go back

• Registered Users Posts: 14,716 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

head for Greystones, plenty of places to get coffee and cake to fuel your ride back.
    here you go: https://goo.gl/maps/kvrHziXG3JCGLLms7

• Registered Users Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Roundwood - Newtown - Kilcoole would be (marginally) the shortest from Mullinavague (where the Sally Gap road hits the R755).

Coffee and Beer (Wicklow Wolf Tap Room) in Newtown.

• Advertisement
Advertisement