Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wear & tear on leather seats

• 12-05-2021 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭

Hello All,

I have a question for you as to how to stop/delay the Wear & Tear on leather car seats.

Last year I bought a 2015 Jaguar XF car which I am quite pleased with apart from a few small quibbles.

Yesterday, I noticed the Wear & Tear starting to appear on the driver's seat. I have attached photos of both the seat and a close up of the issue. Is there any way to halt this - treat the leather etc ?

Overall the seats are quite tight to get in/out of which is one of my quibbles. Another being on a wet morning, if you go to sit in, water runs off the roof while the door is open as you get in.

Your help or suggestions with either issue would be quite welcome.

Regards,

Chevy RV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

First off you need to give the leather a good scrub with Gtechniq I2 Tri Clean or Colourlock Strong Leather Cleaner and a medium stiffness bristle brush to remove dirt and grime build up.

Then apply 2 coats of Gtechniq L1 Leather Guard or Colourlock Leather Shield leaving an hour between coats.

Is the middle section of those seats leather or cloth?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Leather cracking is usually because it dries out. Seat covers would prevent direct sunlight from causing this drying out while the car is sitting up. They will also prevent any damage caused from the driver getting in and out especially if its a tight squeeze.

As for repairing the current damage. Its cracked so not just cosmetic were a little touch up will fix it. I use a product called Colourlock which comes in many combinations but its a cleaning and treatment more so than repair. Regular enough applications especially during summer months helps keep the leather supple and prevent cracking, but seat covers are your friend.

It may need a professional fix but better to do it now before it gets hold and becomes worse.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭bmwfan

That looks like a crack in the leather you will need to get that fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Chevy RV

Thanks MerzgerMeister

The centre part of the seat is Suede.

Are those products you mentioned easily available?

Regards,
    Chevy RV

Chevy RV wrote: »
    Thanks MerzgerMeister

The centre part of the seat is Suede.

Are those products you mentioned easily available?

Regards,
    Chevy RV

Yes, you can get both from Peter in OCD Detailing. He also does leather repair on-site. You could send him those pics and see if he can do anything with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Chevy RV

Yes, you can get both from Peter in OCD Detailing. He also does leather repair on-site. You could send him those pics and see if he can do anything with it.

I am based in either Tipperary or Cork. Does anyone know anyone in those areas that could repair it?

Chevy RV wrote: »
    I am based in either Tipperary or Cork. Does anyone know anyone in those areas that could repair it?

AT Autostyle in Kilkenny are the only ones I know of closest to Tipperary.

I have seen their work on a fully retrimmed BMW E46 interior and the quality of the work is amazing.

Advertisement