Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Traveller Wedding - Breaking Tenancy & Covid Rules

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

You could also apply that to Judges, politicians and employees of our national broadcaster.

I think it has been with equal amount of rage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Northernlily

After the absolutely pathetic fines dished out to the Longford rule breakers the other day he's going to plough on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Just read it before coming here. You just couldn't make this stuff up... Where's my popcorn:)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Another one?!?
    Fecking brazen

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭PunkIPA

The marquee looks very swanky! Lovely floral arrangement and tasteful furnishings inside. I wonder what line of business the father of the groom is in to be in a position to provide such a generous wedding gift to the happy couple?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

HAHAHA. They run the country theres no mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclette

I think the thing to point out here is, that any anger is directed at the behaviour not the background of the people involved.

If this was done by Dublin Dentists, Donegal Doctors, Tullamore Teachers or Roscommon Rugby Players, many people, myself included, would still be aghast at the behaviour and attitude.

Why should the rest of us put up with this sh y te? It does appear as if they think they are superior to the rest of us. That they can do what they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,809 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I don't care who does it, this is so wrong

Bicyclette wrote: »
    I think the thing to point out here is, that any anger is directed at the behaviour not the background of the people involved.

If this was done by Dublin Dentists, Donegal Doctors, Tullamore Teachers or Roscommon Rugby Players, many people, myself included, would still be aghast at the behaviour and attitude.

Why should the rest of us put up with this sh y te? It does appear as if they think they are superior to the rest of us. That they can do what they like.

Law and Order is far from consistent in this country that's for sure.

Break the rules consistently by travellers and day to day petty criminals its a slap on the wrist. White collar fruad, a slap on the wrist if you know the right people.

However middle income, pay taxes, abide by the laws, contribute all round to society... If you step out of line in a similar fashion you're paying for it, make no mistake. If Tom the builder from Lucan has a marquee with 200 people for his daughters wedding he's probably doing jail time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

If theyre vaccinated let em at it. trust in the science

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lmkrnr

If theyre vaccinated let em at it. trust in the science

If they are not let them at it. Darwinism.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,125 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The problem is a very large cohort of travellers are used to disobeying the law and living with the conquences.

TBF this judge has given the LA sweeping powers to inform those attending and those involved of the conquences. No solicitor can come before him with a plaintiff and make a case his client did not know. This was the get out of jail card that was used in the the last case to limit liability to the groom, his father and father-in-law and the food proivider

In this case anybody entering the tent will be liable to a 3k fine. As well the judge has given powers to the LA to use a contractor to remove the marquee. This court order is much more sweeping than last week's one. Finally I expect the Gardai to be more willing to be involved this time and that enough numbers will be there to enforce it

Slava Ukrainii

Lmkrnr wrote: »
    Enda Kenny said this is a proud day. Special status for our beloved minority.

I say that was tongue in cheek

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

You can socially embarrass , financially penalise and impose the law on most if not all of the professions mentioned above and most other citizens for that matter but you cant embarrass or impose financial penalties on those who claim to have nothing and live their lives in social and family circles where the law means nothing unless it's in their favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Let the wedding go ahead but send CAB,Revenue,customs and the ERU to the reception

Let the wedding go ahead but send CAB,Revenue,customs and the ERU to the reception

Unfortunately most of those attending seem to be from NI

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/judge-says-marquee-must-be-removed-ahead-of-wedding-reception-planned-for-this-evening-40418258.html

Total disregard for anything. During a global pandemic, certain members of community feel laws don't apply to them...

Hope it gets taken down ASAP and the parents are fined for breach of tenancy.

There is no mechanism to fine people for breach of tenancy.

They can be fixed for breech of Covid-19 restrictions, but some people aren't going to be fussed about that.

The ethnicity of the people concerned is irrelevant in this case, exactly the same sequence of events would happen for some buffers.

Being discussed on rte radio 1 now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I thought 50 people were allowed at weddings?

50 in the church 25 or 6 at the meal I not sure which

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

not at a reception

It isn't a wedding it's the afters...the wedding is in co Armagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/judge-says-marquee-must-be-removed-ahead-of-wedding-reception-planned-for-this-evening-40418258.html

Total disregard for anything. During a global pandemic, certain members of community feel laws don't apply to them...

"He told the Circuit Civil Court that when told he was breaching regulations, Mr Connors replied: “I know all that. I know I’m breaching my tenancy but it is my son’s wedding and he has no other place to go.”

Hope it gets taken down ASAP and the parents are fined for breach of tenancy.

Yet another week day wedding.

How do these lads manage to get up for work the following morning. :confused:

I wonder which chipper in Sandyford, Stillorgan, Leopardstown is catering ?

San Marino in Leopardstown is offering 10% off for online orders so maybe they will get the business. :D

wd0661 wrote: »
    breach the rules of social housing in this way they should be removed from the site and barred from ever getting social housing again

isnt that fair ?

Will never happen. They will get thrown from a social house and get another Irish Tax funded organisation to fund the next house. Revolving door of left wing policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

The important thing is that we're all in this together.

WrenBoy wrote: »
    The important thing is that we're all in this together.

No thanks, im not going near that Marquee.

jmayo wrote: »
    Yet another week day wedding.

How do these lads manage to get up for work the following morning. :confused:

I wonder which chipper in Sandyford, Stillorgan, Leopardstown is catering ?

San Marino in Leopardstown is offering 10% off for online orders so maybe they will get the business. :D

Sur, Sur, Sur.....can I have 120 beef burgers, 60 chicken burgers, 20 .fish. I take 200 large chips as well as 100 portion of onions rings and 100 sausages I be back in 30 minutes.......by the way give me a portion of battered sausages and a small chips now extra salt and vinegar on the chips now

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 10,189 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Unfortunately most of those attending seem to be from NI

What's new? They've already had numbers coming from the UK at Christmas and at various other funerals and weddings and so on. *mod snip - no need*

What proportion of travellers have been taking up hospital care as a result of covid? Compared to the society as a whole?

Can't get my head around why this family figure they can just carry on like this despite knowing it's not permitted and following advice from traveller rights groups and so on.

Furze99 wrote: »
    What's new? They've already had numbers coming from the UK at Christmas and at various other funerals and weddings and so on. *Mod snip*

What proportion of travellers have been taking up hospital care as a result of covid? Compared to the society as a whole?

Can't get my head around why this family figure they can just carry on like this despite knowing it's not permitted and following advice from traveller rights groups and so on.

Because they have gone unchecked, are lawless and know the state will ultimately back down.

There is nothing more I would love this evening than the guards/army in with a machine this evening to rip the whole thing down with the bucket. Let them clean up the mess themselves. A strong message needs to be sent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭AlfaZen

Furze99 wrote: »

It's very simple and like with any other law of the country that doesn't suit them

THEY. DON'T. CARE.

They would be the first to bring a case if an establishment declined to host their wedding due to the risks involved.

Advertisement