Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Used car options - Golf rust?

• 11-05-2021 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

Hi all,

Considering buying a golf 2008, 1.4, Auto at 5K. I would expect some issues with 13 Years old car, but being a first car need seek your advice.

car 1 : Is this rust normal? Steering response was not excellent.

Car 2 : It has Paint Lacre is coming off.

Both are 2008 Golf Autos.

Car requires service and new tyres.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

2008 Golf needing a service and tyres for €5k sounds very extreme, price wise.

TSI petrol and DSG gearbox in that vintage Golf would be a mega high risk combo for big bills too.

From what you've said, the whole thing is best avoided IMO.

That bit of surface rust, not an issue at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭dubliniift

2008 Golf needing a service and tyres for €5k sounds very extreme, price wise.

TSI petrol and DSG gearbox in that vintage Golf would be a mega high risk combo for big bills too.

From what you've said, the whole thing is best avoided IMO.

That bit of surface rust, not an issue at all.

Thanks a lot.

Extreme i.e very high? Mileage is 40K only may be that is why. Whats is the usual number. Service records were missing too.

Well, high bills is said :-(. I'm not sure which auto car to pick then. Santro is so sad.

How about Honda Insight sold at 6.5 to 7K - Japs import. I want a trouble less car than a powerful one.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,076 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If the auto box is dsg regular oil changes of the gearbox are essential.

Where you want to look for rust on Golf's of that era is in the front wheel arches where paint may blister.

Looks something like this...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Honda jazz or civic would be an option., Reliable....
    Are you set on a style or size?

Toyota Corolla or auris.
    Renault Clio or megane
    Hyundai i20 or i30
    Kia ceed

€5k for a 2008 is mad money to be honest.

Honda jazz or civic would be an option., Reliable....
    Are you set on a style or size?

Toyota Corolla or auris.
    Renault Clio or megane
    Hyundai i20 or i30
    Kia ceed

€5k for a 2008 is mad money to be honest.

Thanks a lot. I'm.new to country so not aware or Right prices. Reliability is more important than style.

Cannot locate any civic auto or Jazz auto which is cheap. All are imports and not sure reliable. Please suggest.

I thought Golf being an automatic and driven for 40k and hence seller is asking 5k. Thanks, I ll drop the idea.

Thank you so much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Just be aware that a lot of automatic Golfs, particularly 1.4 TSI, are Japanese imports too.
    Ones with ultra low mileage are most likely Japanese

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Just be aware that a lot of automatic Golfs, particularly 1.4 TSI, are Japanese imports too.
    Ones with ultra low mileage are most likely Japanese

Thanks. Checked on motorcheck.ie. it showed it in not an import. I'm dropping idea to buy this as everyone said is expensive at 5k and also because service records were missing.

If you only need a small car I’d look for a Hyundai i10 or i20 or Kia Picanto.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'd be getting the modules read to check the mileage...

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭DeeTee100

Yeah for a small reliable car I would definitely recommend the i20. I've had one for a few years and its never given the slightest bit of trouble. You could probably get a 2012 or 2013 model for the price of that Golf too.

• Advertisement

DeeTee100 wrote: »
    Yeah for a small reliable car I would definitely recommend the i20. I've had one for a few years and its never given the slightest bit of trouble. You could probably get a 2012 or 2013 model for the price of that Golf too.

I'll search. All I noticed on donedeal are above 5k specially automatics.

Appreciate your suggestion. Thanks

Prius? insight?

Look at Yaris even....

Hybrid are mostly auto so that may help in your look out.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2010-honda-insight-automatic-hybrid-nctd-4550/27994864

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

That is terrible value for money . Its amazing how people will pay any amount for something with a Volkswagen badge, they are a bag of ****e in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

dubliniift wrote: »
    Thanks. Checked on motorcheck.ie. it showed it in not an import. I'm dropping idea to buy this as everyone said is expensive at 5k and also because service records were missing.

The milage would definitely need to be checked out.
    I have a 2008 Golf Mk5, and only 50k on it, so they are out there. I just wouldn't trust anyone selling one.

I had an older car with DSG gearbox and it gave me awful trouble. Very hard to get anyone independent that can work on them I found.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Thanks a lot. Insight or prius are fine ��

Just remember that seller is a motor trader, he has a good few other cars for sale also if you check out his other adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭User1998

Dodgy seller. Will try meet you in a car park and won’t give out address. Sells damaged cars

User1998 wrote: »
    Dodgy seller. Will try meet you in a car park and won’t give out address. Sells damaged cars

I was just putting up as an idea as at 1st there was no mention it must be auto.... Obviously go in to any sale fully wide open eyes....

There are plenty of Prius going for good prices.

Idfully recommend the op gets a proper check done on the car by someone with knowledge on them.

Weird that the imported thing isn't ticked on the green light

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭User1998

Yeah I agree Honda Insight/Toyota Prius are good choices.

Was just pointing out not to buy that particular car

Yeah I agree Honda Insight/Toyota Prius are good choices.

Was just pointing out not to buy that particular car

Has he form I'm guessing, I didn't do my homework was just throwing up ideas, good to know though, he obviously must be doing alright, seems to have plenty to sell.

Thanks. I was about to ring him. Met 2 both said have full history none had it.

Anyone gifting a car here...lol

Has he form I'm guessing, I didn't do my homework was just throwing up ideas, good to know though, he obviously must be doing alright, seems to have plenty to sell.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2007-fiat-punto-automatic-low-mileage-nct2-22/28113102

Pretty sure that’s the Duallogic gearbox, which makes it a bit of a gamble to say the least.

They've a €5k budget so up the years and something a bit nicer is what I'd be looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭finalfurlong

Got a kia picanto for my father who is mid 70s.Very reliable,sips fuel and well suited to town driving.Engine feels livelier to drive than you would think from a 3 cylinder

Advertisement