Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Gaming, General & Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I have always thought it was complete troll, at first it was 'type this word' and it would be so blurry you couldn't make out a W from an X, then they threw numbers in and some would be clear, some faded, some blurry. Then they added images and it's just a complete joke - 'Click the squares with a fire hydrant' - There'll be just the one but taking up multiple squares, one square will seem to have a teensy piece of a corner of it, do I click this or no?? the stress!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Its funny how they use the one thing ai is really great at, pattern recognition.

A lot of captchas are stealth machine learning educaters, you are teaching their ML or at least ML interested/paying clients how to perform image recognition. As you pointed out though this ends up being a paradoxical conflict of interest. Good old capitilism.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Probably not worth a new thread but the classic Rome: Total War is getting a remastered release which comes out on the 29th April.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/885970/Total_War_ROME_REMASTERED/

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Probably not worth a new thread but the classic Rome: Total War is getting a remastered release which comes out on the 29th April.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/885970/Total_War_ROME_REMASTERED/

I watched Heir of Carthage's preview play of it last night. Very much a remaster rather than a remake. I was disappointed he didn't do a lot to explain the quality of life changes that have been made. They're all optional AFAIK though, so you can play it like classic RTW, warts and all.

And it's half price if you own the original on Steam!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    I watched Heir of Carthage's preview play of it last night. Very much a remaster rather than a remake. I was disappointed he didn't do a lot to explain the quality of life changes that have been made. They're all optional AFAIK though, so you can play it like classic RTW, warts and all.

And it's half price if you own the original on Steam!

I watched a bit of LegendofTotalWar's stream. Looks interesting but I think we'll have to wait until the review embargo lifts to know more about what's new and what was left the same. I found Rome II nice to look at but a bit tedious so I'm hoping this doesn't change too much of the original.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Just spotted it by accident while browsing the Steam store. Cannot wait!! :D

Another good part about it as well is, even if you don't own Rome 1 (I think I'm right), you will still get a copy of Rome Gold Edition free with your purchase of Rome Remastered, as they're removing it from the store anyway.

But sure look, if you're a TW fan, chances are you will already have Rome in your library. I just hope it sells well, and if it does, I pray we get a Remaster of Medieval 2.

I'm absolutely buzzing for this. Much prefer the original to Rome 2.

I think I'd prefer Medieval III to a remaster.

Just spotted it by accident while browsing the Steam store. Cannot wait!! :D

Another good part about it as well is, even if you don't own Rome 1 (I think I'm right), you will still get a copy of Rome Gold Edition free with your purchase of Rome Remastered, as they're removing it from the store anyway.

But sure look, if you're a TW fan, chances are you will already have Rome in your library. I just hope it sells well, and if it does, I pray we get a Remaster of Medieval 2.

I'm absolutely buzzing for this. Much prefer the original to Rome 2.

Didn't know that. I'm wondering if it's still the old Rome engine. If it's the remaster then it probably would be. Rome II used an incredibly terrible matched combat system where the men in each unit would pair up and fight. It also made cavalry not work properly.

Found a video here:

They'd better not touch Jeff van Dyck's soundtrack.

Definitely not. The later historical titles have been boring as sin. Attila is a patch or two away from being great IMO but that's never going to happen. I've no interest in Three Kingdoms and I didn't even get Troy when it was going for free.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

They're apparently working on a new historical title.

This is just a bit of milking of their existing stable of titles for minimal effort.

Gbear wrote: »
    Definitely not. The later historical titles have been boring as sin. Attila is a patch or two away from being great IMO but that's never going to happen. I've no interest in Three Kingdoms and I didn't even get Troy when it was going for free.

Much preferred 3K to the Warhammer titles. It's the best game they've done in a long time (excluding Alien Isolation!).
    Gbear wrote: »
    They're apparently working on a new historical title.

This is just a bit of milking of their existing stable of titles for minimal effort.

Yeah, they've so many teams now that there are always 2-3 titles being worked on at any one time, and that excludes RTW remastered which isn't being handled inhouse.

• Advertisement

Much preferred 3K to the Warhammer titles. It's the best game they've done in a long time (excluding Alien Isolation!).

It's subjective of course. Playing Warhammer 2 is as much fun as Rome and Medieval II were back in the day. I'd love it if they could tweak Attila a bit more but that's just never going to happen.

Never played Alien: Isolation. Might give it a go.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

The later historical titles have been boring as sin. Attila is a patch or two away from being great IMO but that's never going to happen. I've no interest in Three Kingdoms and I didn't even get Troy when it was going for free.

Atilla was an absolute trainwreck, and it still is. It runs absolutely terribly. Rome II is fine, but I just remember enjoying Rome 1 much more than it.

Shogun 2 is my favourite, even though it should be Three Kingdoms (I wanted a Three Kingdoms TW game for years before it was even announced) but I haven't sunk enough time into it to properly enjoy it.

I have little care for the Warhammer games, and TWWH2. Not because I think they suck (I have WH2) but I just cannot get into any of the characters or factions, and I'm not familiar with the franchise so I can't appreciate anything those two games throw at me. I've played and beaten one Warhammer game in my life, and that was the original Dawn of War, and I barely remember anything about it.

I have Thrones of Britannia in my wishlist, purely because I wanna play a TW game with vikings in it (been watching Vikings the TV series the last few weeks, so I'm high on the subject matter :D )

Medieval II is probably my 2nd favourite game if I had to put them all into a list. It's the only one that lets me play an entire campaign based on the Scottish Wars of Independence (Kingdoms expansion) and being a Scot myself, the bias is strong.

I enjoyed the simpler mechanics of the older titles, so it'll be nice to get an upgraded version of one of them.

Atilla was an absolute trainwreck, and it still is. It runs absolutely terribly. Rome II is fine, but I just remember enjoying Rome 1 much more than it.

Shogun 2 is my favourite, even though it should be Three Kingdoms (I wanted a Three Kingdoms TW game for years before it was even announced) but I haven't sunk enough time into it to properly enjoy it.

I have little care for the Warhammer games, and TWWH2. Not because I think they suck (I have WH2) but I just cannot get into any of the characters or factions, and I'm not familiar with the franchise so I can't appreciate anything those two games throw at me. I've played and beaten one Warhammer game in my life, and that was the original Dawn of War, and I barely remember anything about it.

I have Thrones of Britannia in my wishlist, purely because I wanna play a TW game with vikings in it (been watching Vikings the TV series the last few weeks, so I'm high on the subject matter :D )

Medieval II is probably my 2nd favourite game if I had to put them all into a list. It's the only one that lets me play an entire campaign based on the Scottish Wars of Independence (Kingdoms expansion) and being a Scot myself, the bias is strong.

I enjoyed the simpler mechanics of the older titles, so it'll be nice to get an upgraded version of one of them.

How did I fail to mention that Attila runs like cement? Out of Thrones, Rome II and Attila I liked Attila the best but it needs work that it sadly will never receive. This is tragic IMO as it does something unique out of all the TW games in that you can start as a huge empire and try to hold it together instead of conquering the map as usual. Once you do that, there are the invading hordes to contend with.

I liked Shogun 2 but I only did one campaign. Had wonderful aesthetics and a gorgeous soundtrack. For a game with so many factions with near identical unit rosters it was a lot of fun. Easily the best post-Medieval II historical title IMO.

I had zero knowledge of Warhammer lore before playing the Total War games. It isn't remotely necessary as long as you have a vague idea what an orc, an elf or a dwarf is. The Skaven alone are just insane amounts of fun. If you own it, do give it a go.

Thrones of Britannia... It's a game with Irish factions and the map is the best a historical title has done. However, it resembles Attila too much as it's based on the Attila engine and is too streamlined and that's after Rome II and Attila were already very streamlined. Maybe get it on sale?

I'd love a Medieval II remaster. It's such a great game.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

From what I remember of Rome II, the combat is just a heap of melee infantry which made it very boring. The number of different types of units in TWW2 make it so good imo. No two factions play the same which is remarkable given how many there are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,270 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 12,270 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Just had a game revoked from Steam again
    looks like a shady publisher sold 30k keys including some to Fanatical and the devs have now cancelled the keys 3 years later because they don't know which are legit or not

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/mhv95b/overfall_keys_purchased_through_a_fanatical/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Skerries wrote: »
    Just had a game revoked from Steam again
    looks like a shady publisher sold 30k keys including some to Fanatical and the devs have now cancelled the keys 3 years later because they don't know which are legit or not

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/mhv95b/overfall_keys_purchased_through_a_fanatical/

Not the brightest bunch of devs around it would seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

What an amazing way to finish the post:
    This is why we had to revoke them without knowing where those keys have been sold.

We're very well aware that you're aggrieved.

Take care all.

The second edit makes it a bit better but jaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭Glebee

Having major problem trying to get my voice chat working, using it mainly connecting to xbox chat and for what ever reason no matter what I do I cant get my chat to work. I can hear the xbox chat no probelm but they cant hear me. I think I had this problem before but ive no idea what I done to solve..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,725 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

How is the RX480 (8GB) for 4K gaming?
    Getting the LG CX 55 tv and will be used with my PC (as well as PS5 and others).
    Won't be upgrading my PC any time soon and no problem continuing to play in 1080p, but just curious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

It struggles @ 1440p for me on a lot of modern or heavy games (so I usually end up @ 720p because I need dem frames). I can only do 1440p on much older titles. If you can tolerate it you could probably framecap to 30, medium/low settings and get away with slightly modern games like Witcher 3. 8GB version might allow a stable 30. I'm at the point where I'm looking to upgrade now, though. I'll probably sell this 480 or the whole system.

Sure would just be a bonus anyway. Wasn't thinking it would work on more modern games.
    Seeing the talk about all cards, including 480, selling at higher prices I'd be tempted to sell myself. Main problem is I don't have a card to replace it with and the cost of new cards would defeat the purpose.

Ah it'll be fun messing around with the new tv anyway, not just for games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I'd be tempted to sell myself. Main problem is I don't have a card to replace it with and the cost of new cards would defeat the purpose.

I'm just thinking of selling to offset the cost of new build (€1700).
    Ah it'll be fun messing around with the new tv anyway, not just for games

LotR 4K blu ray set might be worth looking into. Heard it's amazing. I've enjoyed the screen real-estate that 1440p offers, for work and play. Unfortunately haven't had anything but ancient games be able to run native on it. Just one of the reasons I need a new system.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

How is the RX480 (8GB) for 4K gaming?

Does your card support this?

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh-010

After the tv, my next large expense will likely be car upgrade so no new PC build any time soon.

And don;t tempt me with the LotR 4K box set. It may be when I finally do the Extended Edition marathon

dreamers75 wrote: »

It's on the list anyway.

Will be experimenting when the time comes anyway. New toy and all that.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

MadYaker wrote: »

Can get a wired Xbox for less and basically due to DXinput works on pretty much every game without any crap.

For a few quid more the wireless 360 (have 3 connected to my PC with my main pad being the wired one)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭Homelander

The Xbox One controller is by far the best option for PC, whether you go for official (about €60) or unofficial (start around €23).

Obviously bit different if you're choosing PS4 because you're a PS4 player and prefer that layout, but if it's just a general controller you want and you've no particular allegiance, Xbox is the way to go.

Advertisement