Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda Clearance

• 10-05-2021 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Good morning everyone

I'm currently at clearance stage for a job opportunity. Unfortunately I have been waiting for the garda clearance for over 25 weeks.
    I tried to find out what's going on but no luck.

Is anyone here facing the same issue?

I have no criminal records.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭niallb

Have you lived outside of Ireland for more than 6 months?

The garda could be waiting for confirmation back that you have no criminal record in another jurisdiction.
    No way of telling how long that can take, but might be worth calling them if that's a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Is it for a civil service position? Clearance should be back in a few days unless you need enhanced vetting.

You can always give them a bell:

Garda National Vetting Bureau

Address: Racecourse Road, Thurles, Co. Tipperary, E41 RD60

Telephone:+353 504 27300

Email: vetting@garda.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 26 mariemoon

Is it for a civil service position? Clearance should be back in a few days unless you need enhanced vetting.

You can always give them a bell:

Garda National Vetting Bureau

Address: Racecourse Road, Thurles, Co. Tipperary, E41 RD60

Telephone:+353 504 27300

Email: vetting@garda.ie

Thank you..yes it is for the public service , but what they need is the clearance, its not the normal 5 days vetting. I got that one done already

niallb wrote: »
    Have you lived outside of Ireland for more than 6 months?

The garda could be waiting for confirmation back that you have no criminal record in another jurisdiction.
    No way of telling how long that can take, but might be worth calling them if that's a possibility.

I did live abroad, but I have done this clearance before and got it back in less than 8 weeks. I don't know why is taking so long this time.

25 Weeks is a long time but it's not unheard of for enhanced vetting / full clearance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭niallb

I've a friend who lived in India for a while and it took over a year!
    She had to let the job go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

What is enhanced vetting? What job would require enhanced full clearance? Currently working in a children’s charity that works with extremely vulnerable children and my department processes the vetting applications and I’ve never heard of this? I personally don’t process any of it but I’m curious to know. I thought vetting was only for those working with children and vulnerable adults so is it possible it is a different type of clearance?

For us any employee who would come in contact with any of the children, even a cook - requires Gardai Vetting which takes a couple of days and then clearance from any other country they’ve lived in for more than 6 months. I always thought the Gardai processed these too but you actually need to seek the clearance yourself from the embassy mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

mariemoon wrote: »
    Good morning everyone

I'm currently at clearance stage for a job opportunity. Unfortunately I have been waiting for the garda clearance for over 25 weeks.
    I tried to find out what's going on but no luck.

Is anyone here facing the same issue?

I have no criminal records.

My security clearance took 22 weeks. It was for a role with AGS.

Love2love wrote: »
    What is enhanced vetting? What job would require enhanced full clearance? Currently working in a children’s charity that works with extremely vulnerable children and my department processes the vetting applications and I’ve never heard of this? I personally don’t process any of it but I’m curious to know. I thought vetting was only for those working with children and vulnerable adults so is it possible it is a different type of clearance?

For us any employee who would come in contact with any of the children, even a cook - requires Gardai Vetting which takes a couple of days and then clearance from any other country they’ve lived in for more than 6 months. I always thought the Gardai processed these too but you actually need to seek the clearance yourself from the embassy mostly.

Its security clearance, usually for the guards but other departments may need it as well. Checks for links to organised crime amongst other things.

niallb wrote: »
    I've a friend who lived in India for a while and it took over a year!
    She had to let the job go.

I really want this job..it's like my dream job but its taking so long. I have refused other public jobs opportunities because of this particular job that I am on the process��

If I knew what kind of document they are waiting for to finalise my process..i would chase it myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

did you live anywhere far away?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭SFC1895

Love2love wrote: »

If you work in the criminal justice sector, there is an extensive look into your background. Where you live, who lives on your road, is your neighbour involved in organised crime. That kind of thing. Perhaps who you associate with and maybe itemised billing from registered phones etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Valentine01

Does anyone know what can impact enhanced garda vetting? Im waiting on enhanced garda clearance. I have no criminal records, no family involved in criminal activity, But I live in a shared house (not much option in Dublin) and one of my previous housemates was involved in criminal activity. Garda was looking for him, he was involved in some gangsta stuff. They had a warrant to search the house and all.. He flew the country before they came after him. We were not friends just happen to live in a shared house. But im worried that it can impact my garda clearance that i lived in the same house with this criminal. Its not my fault at all, i have no connections with him, my landlord rented the room to him. Does anyone know, could it be a deal breaker?

Advertisement