Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

IMac is very slow

• 10-05-2021 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

Anybody else find the iMac a bit crap?
    Bought one brand new 2 years ago, to replace a 11 year old Sony laptop.

IMac is 21.5 inch, 2.3ghz dual core processor, 8gb 2133mhz ddr4, macintosh HD 1tb Sata.

Takes ages to open any software, the multi colour spinning disk appears for ages when opening any software and loading pages in chrome. My Internet is 30mb download speed, so it's not the issue

Anybody have any idea how to make it run a bit faster?

It's 11 years newer spec from my old laptop and not really much faster. Could have got a Lenovo laptop for 1/3 of the price and be much faster

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

It’s the Hard drive. I had the same problem, where it causes a bottle neck in the system. You need to get it changed to an SSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭robclay26

whiterebel wrote: »
    It’s the Hard drive. I had the same problem, where it causes a bottle neck in the system. You need to get it changed to an SSD.

Would that make a big difference? Would you know where it can be done and what it cost you? Thanks a million

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I bought a kit and did it myself, but I wouldn’t recommend it. Depends on where you are in the country for Apple Authorised service providers, there is a search facility in the apple support page.

Apparently you can also get a USB3.0 External SSD and put your Operating system on to that. Then it just uses the built in HD for storage. Cheaper option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Will definitely make a huge difference.

Not a particularly easy task to do yourself, unless you're used to building PC's etc, but however you do it (or whomever you pay to do it), it will be worth it.

You could try whiterebel's external drive suggestion, and you might be happy enough with that or, for a more streamlined solution, you can go the whole way and get the internal disc replaced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭robclay26

Thanks for all your advice. Will bite the bullet and go with ssd upgrade and extra Ram too. Be like a new computer then

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I upgraded my then 2008 iMac to an SSD in 2014. Boot time went from 75 seconds to 15.

Good luck.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Using a 2011 27" iMac and changed to a SSD lastyear to try and prolong the life of the machine, the difference is night and day and its well worth the money!

I did the upgrade myself and I did manage it but I had awful problems reconnecting the display plug and I'm experience building machines previously, if you aren't I'd recommend you get somebody else to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

I own a 2013 iMac and it was incredibly slow. Upgrading from 8GB ram to 16GB helped a little but I was expecting much more

I'm a fan of DIY jobs but for this I paid a store to do the upgrade to SSD for me.

Is like a new machine, it was worth every euro. Highly recommend an upgrade to SSD

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

the rotating disk will nearly always be the slowest component within your PC/Mac by far... swapping it for an SSD always has the biggest impact.

Effect of doubling memory would mostly go unnoticed. Save for having more apps running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

mikemac2 wrote: »
    I own a 2013 iMac and it was incredibly slow. Upgrading from 8GB ram to 16GB helped a little but I was expecting much more

I also have a 2013 iMac which came with a fusion drive (256GB SSD for system + 3TB HDD for files).

When the HDD failed last year (remember your backups, people!), a replacement SSD made the machine noticeably faster, even though it already had 24GB RAM and the system was already on an SSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

mikemac2 wrote: »

I'm a fan of DIY jobs but for this I paid a store to do the upgrade to SSD for me.

Is like a new machine, it was worth every euro. Highly recommend an upgrade to SSD

Mate of mine did exactly the same, he got the ram and an SSD from memoryc and got Mactivate to put all in. I think they charged about €120 to put the stuff in. Machine is flying now he says...

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Unicorn Milk Latte

Beachball when opening apps is not normal. Your hardware has easily enough power so this should not occur.

First, have a look at this. Chrome installs some software that can misbehave, and cause exactly the issues you describe.

If that does not help - create a new admin user account, and see if the problems occur there as well. This is to narrow down where the problems are coming from. Instructions here.

Let us know how you get on...

Having to use Parallels extensively, I found I was getting beach balls etc again. Got into the habit of restarting every day I had to use parallel/Windows. I bought 16GB RAM on OWC for about €150, and iConnect fitted it today for me for €100.00. Very quick again now, different machine with RAM and SSD upgraded.

Advertisement