Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

One tax thread to rule them all

• 11-05-2021 10:29pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Mod:
    To avoid the question of how to handle taxes to be brought up in every thread this is THE tax thread that all other threads pay tax to. The focus is on Irish tax system for obvious reasons but posters are welcome to ask for any tax system they wish.

Any and all advise in this thread is:
    a) Not legal advise
    b) Not expert advise
    c) Not something you should take as gospel

It's individuals stating a personal view and should be taken accordingly and that view may have changed over time as legislation change as well.

With that have at it! The last person standing with a calculator wins!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,972 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Would it be possible to setup a company like RTE stars and have yourself as employees invester then pay 12%.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,972 ✭✭✭Jeff2

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Jeff2 wrote: »
    Would it be possible to setup a company like RTE stars and have yourself as employees invester then pay 12%.
    But then your company still legally owns all the assets and you have to pay income tax if you ever want to actually spend it.

Should I be doing a tax return every year? Or just the year I realise the gains into fiat? Could I declare €1270 worth of crypto every year by exchanging one crypto for another, thus freeing up €1270? Does that make sense

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Should I be doing a tax return every year? Or just the year I realise the gains into fiat? Could I declare €1270 worth of crypto every year by exchanging one crypto for another, thus freeing up €1270? Does that make sense

Yes but even if you realise a gain even below threshold, you still have to file

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 jimmyjoe98

Recently considering dabbling in cryptocurrency but in a bit of a quandary and hoping someone might be able to help!

Long story short, I have two questions:
    1. I'm on Jobseeker's Allowance. Will that in any way have an impact on my engaging in purchasing (and hopefully profiting from) crypto?
    2. As far as I know, tax allowance is €1650. Does that mean that if I make a profit above that, I need to make a tax report, or does it mean that I need to report it regardless, but just won't pay any tax below that rate? Considering that I'm on Jobseekers, will filing taxes affect that?

Would love advice from anyone in a similar situation or who knows the craic.

Thanks a lot.

Advertisement