Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

'Luxury' car ~15k budget

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Yourmama

bazz26 wrote:
    Here is an example:

With 16'' wheels it's the basic version. They come in 3 different specs and its worth to look around for higher version which has a lot more "toys" and can be get for similar money at this age.

Volvos of that era are unmaintainable. Many of them develop some sort of BCM related issue that makes the car go into limp mode. From experience, and from knowing people who have had them also, it is next to impossible to get them back to a reliable state when it starts to go wrong. Whatever repairs or replacements were done, the car could never be depended on again as it could randomly go into limp mode, or refuse to start.

My mother had an S40 of that era and after 6 weeks or so we had finally had enough and I had to go down to the dealer and bang on the desk to get them to take the car back and give us a refund.

The S40 'of that era' was derived from the Ford Focus and launched in 2004. The S60 was based on an entirely different platform.

OP don't pay attention to what individuals say about reliability online, narrow down cars based on price + how much you like them, then do your own reliability research last.

This forum, for example, has a weird groupthink about mazda diesels based on cars 2 generations old and anecdotes from a decade ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,100 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The OP does 500km a month that is made up of journey's less than 30 mins. They don't need a diesel for that sort of usage. They will be perfectly fine in a petrol or hybrid.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

AMKC wrote: »
    Why? It has 180bhp. Nothing wrong with that. Plenty of power for that car.

180bhp is feck all for a car that heavy, You’d want 220+.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

What would you need 220bhp for? Speeding maybe?
    No need of that kind of power in a road going car. Plus the additional crucifixional cost of tax and insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

kilburn wrote: »
    I was in a similar situation last year my banger Mondeo died a painful death and I wanted to treat myself.

In the end I bought a Skoda Superb estate best car I ever had and can't fault it. The saloon is a nice car also so worth having a look.

Thinking about one atm, what year superb did you buy and at what age would you expect one to start needing repairs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

No need of that kind of power in a road going car. Plus the additional crucifixional cost of tax and insurance.

What am I reading.....

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭v0ldeMort

[QUOTE=Wetasanotter;

This forum, for example, has a weird groupthink about mazda diesels based on cars 2 generations old and anecdotes from a decade ago.[/QUOTE]

Hardly!
    The diesel engine issues for the 2.2 Mazda diesel are still happening.
    The OP's budget is putting him right bang in the 2014-2016 era which are known for the DPF issues.
    Having had one blow up on me personally I think that qualifies me to have that opinion, and the research I did after the fact. Just sorry I didn't ask here before I bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

troll?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭coolbeans

The S40 'of that era' was derived from the Ford Focus and launched in 2004. The S60 was based on an entirely different platform.

OP don't pay attention to what individuals say about reliability online, narrow down cars based on price + how much you like them, then do your own reliability research last.

This forum, for example, has a weird groupthink about mazda diesels based on cars 2 generations old and anecdotes from a decade ago.

Do you own a Mazda diesel? The reputation is richly deserved.

• Advertisement

This is a laughable attitude. You think 220bhp is a lot?

The car weighs almost 1400kg, you want the power to accelerate in a decent way. Especially for safe over taking or changing lanes on a motor way.

they/them/theirs

coolbeans wrote: »
    Do you own a Mazda diesel? The reputation is richly deserved.

No, but I do understand the law of large numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭v0ldeMort

Funnily enough, Mazda sells in small numbers in this country. Through my research a large number of those have had problems. I had a case lodged with other mazda owners regarding treatment of their Irish customers vs. UK where a lot of the issues with the 2.2 diesel engine were fixed under goodwill, unlike here.

I really don't think you have a clue what you are talking about.

I'm sure that will be some comfort for the OP when they are spending their 15k rather than yours on one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Volvos of that era are unmaintainable. Many of them develop some sort of BCM related issue that makes the car go into limp mode. From experience, and from knowing people who have had them also, it is next to impossible to get them back to a reliable state when it starts to go wrong. Whatever repairs or replacements were done, the car could never be depended on again as it could randomly go into limp mode, or refuse to start.

My mother had an S40 of that era and after 6 weeks or so we had finally had enough and I had to go down to the dealer and bang on the desk to get them to take the car back and give us a refund.

Maybe she just got a bad egg. The brother has one and it has been very reliable so far its diesel do.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

v0ldeMort wrote: »
    Funnily enough, Mazda sells in small numbers in this country. Through my research a large number of those have had problems. I had a case lodged with other mazda owners regarding treatment of their Irish customers vs. UK where a lot of the issues with the 2.2 diesel engine were fixed under goodwill, unlike here.

I really don't think you have a clue what you are talking about.
    By all means, post your research then. Otherwise it is literally "my individual anecdote"
    bazz26 wrote: »
    I'm sure that will be some comfort for the OP when they are spending their 15k rather than yours on one.
    I bought a car (rover 75) that once upon a time this forum derided as being absolute junk and sure to fall to peices. Enough other members bought similar models that over time the groupthink here changed and now if someone posts a Rover 75 or MG ZR/ZS/ZT it gets a completely different reaction.

You'll also note that I told the OP to do his own research rather than relying on individual anecdotes - whether mine or anyone elses.

By all means though, do continue completely missing the point and dragging this further off topic because you have an opinion on a specific type of car and heaven forfend anyone disagree with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Well for a start, 220hp isn't fast if it's in a big car. A lot of people don't take into account the weight of a car. The IS300h is 230hp but it's heavier than an A6 so performance is similar to a 150hp Golf. 0-60 in about 8.5 seconds or something. Decent enough power for a daily driver but not quick.

Friend of mine had an IS300h F Sport after an A6, lovely car. Great looking, nice interior. Can't complain about cooled seats either. Bit on the smaller side, think it's similar to a Passat.

By all means, post your research then. Otherwise it is literally "my individual anecdote"

I bought a car (rover 75) that once upon a time this forum derided as being absolute junk and sure to fall to peices. Enough other members bought similar models that over time the groupthink here changed and now if someone posts a Rover 75 or MG ZR/ZS/ZT it gets a completely different reaction.

You'll also note that I told the OP to do his own research rather than relying on individual anecdotes - whether mine or anyone elses.

By all means though, do continue completely missing the point and dragging this further off topic because you have an opinion on a specific type of car and heaven forfend anyone disagree with it.

What's really funny is that you did yourself exactly what you described above - you dismissed opinions of this wider forum as being based on group thinking of random cars from 2 decades ago in your first post, as if you know better just because you didn't share that opinion. Kettle, pot and black....

Ms

Brian? wrote: »
    180bhp is feck all for a car that heavy, You’d want 220+.

The brother has one the D4 diesel and it seems to have plenty of power
    Not sure how much but I think it could be 150bhp or 160bhp and it's more than enough for him to drive fast and overtake slow cars.
    Actually it has 187bhp and can do 0 to 62 in 7.1 seconds. So I for one do not think 180 BHP would be underpowered in it at all. That should easily get a 0 to 60 mph in 8 second more than fast enough for the average driver.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    The brother has one the D4 diesel and it seems to have plenty of power
    Not sure how much but I think it could be 150bhp or 160bhp and it's more than enough for him to drive fast and overtake slow cars.
    Actually it has 187bhp and can do 0 to 62 in 7.1 seconds. So I for one do not think 180 BHP would be underpowered in it at all. That should easily get a 0 to 60 mph in 8 second more than fast enough for the average driver.

What car does he have? What does it weigh?

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
    Ms

No idea what it weighs but it's the R design S60.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I've an S80 D4 from the 2014 facelift model.

181bhp and it's plenty fast for a daily driver. Think the 0-100kmh is 8.1 seconds and it's more than I can use 90% of the time

Ms

No idea what it weighs but it's the R design S60.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

180 is perfect for a normal car but people were only reacting to the guy saying 220 was too much for the road

180 is perfect for a normal car but people were only reacting to the guy saying 220 was too much for the road

180 isn’t “perfect” to me. It’s too sluggish to be enjoyable to drive. It’s completely subjective.

The OP should buy the Lexus anyway. It’s a better car than the S60 in every way IMO.

they/them/theirs

My wife's car is a straight five 2.4L D5 @ 212bhp and leaves mine for dust but, like my own, what's the use in the daily commute.

Both deliver plenty of low range power and comfort

Ms

180 isn’t “perfect” to me. It’s too sluggish to be enjoyable to drive. It’s completely subjective.

The OP should buy the Lexus anyway. It’s a better car than the S60 in every way IMO.

The OP will buy the car that they are happy with. Both the Lexus and the Volvo S60 are great cars some better in some areas like for instance the seats in the Volvo. There is no other car company that makes seats as good or as comfortable

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

bazz26 wrote: »

That yoke is in bits... One of the several I viewed.

OP, my missus has an IS300h F-Sport the last 2 months and it's been excellent bar needing 4x door locks and a fuel flap switch but all replaced under warranty. Seeing roughly 700km to a tank with very little motorway driving. It's comfortable, yet tight enough inside for a bigger fella but in saying that I'm just very used to my own LS460.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Thinking about one atm, what year superb did you buy and at what age would you expect one to start needing repairs ?

I bought a 2016 and will service regularly my family all drive skodas and have them a good few years without issue so hoping to knock a few years out of it before any problems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭allinthehead

I've had an Is 300h since 2016 and it's been a joy to own. All its cost me is an annual service, brake discs/pads, tyres and the small accessory battery. I'm at 180,000kms.

pros- Reliable, relatively fuel efficient(45 mpg), lots of extras(executive model) heated seats, auto everything, keyless entry and start, I quite
    like how it looks, the hybrid system works very well.

Cons- Quite small inside, very low to the ground, wind noise from mirrors at motorway speeds, terrible sound system unless you can get one
    with Mark Levinson, small boot(I had to get a roof box), can be loud when you plant the foot due to cvt box.

OP at 6'4 I think it might be a little cramped, but only one way to find out.

☀️ 10.75kwp.

⚡️5kw SunSynk, 5.95kwp SE, 3.2kwp SE, .8kwp NW, .8kwp SW. 15kwh SunSynk BYD Battery.⚡️

Advertisement