Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lupin [Netflix]

• 30-01-2021 3:27pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Released with little fanfare outside of France (where the Lupin series would be on a par with Sherlock Holmes), and while I've only caught the first episode is a really slick, breezy adventure. Will definitely keep watching the other 4 episodes (apparently there's more to come later this year)

Its weirdly hard to find a French-with-subtitles trailer, all have been English dubbed, thus a bit crappy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,735 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I like it. It's a bit ridiculous but very watchable and Paris looks fantastic as usual. The lead is tres charmant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Enjoyable enough, thank fcuk its dubbed into english

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

This is great fun

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭cal naughton

Loved it very intriguing. Has to be watched in French with subtitles for full effect

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Very annoying it ends at episode 5 right in the middle of the story

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

loved it and yes best watched with subtitles

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ordinarily I'd let people enjoy things how they prefer, but to me, nothing ruins immersion faster and more deeply than dubbing. Jarring to the eyes and ears, it also robs the original cast of their performances, especially if a good performance is replaced with a terrible dub.
    Very annoying it ends at episode 5 right in the middle of the story

For some reason they split the season and the second half is coming later this year during the summer.

I don't know how anyone can watch these things dubbed. Just 'orrible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭moby2101

Hi
    I’m watching Netflix on Apple TV box, how can I change to French audio with English subtitles.

Sorted.... Settings in Apple TV app as opposed to Netflix app

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭trashcan

I won’t even consider watching anything dubbed. Give me subtitles any day. Dubbing is the work of the devil.

• Advertisement

But remember dubbing can be worse. In Poland still and a lot of former Soviet countries they have dubbing done by one person for all roles in the same program.

In Poland called a lector. Now that's something to deal with... Male, female, action, love scenes, etc, all in the same voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Loved this, very slick and looking forward to the end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,730 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

pixelburp wrote: »
    Ordinarily I'd let people enjoy things how they prefer, but to me, nothing ruins immersion faster and more deeply than dubbing. Jarring to the eyes and ears, it also robs the original cast of their performances, especially if a good performance is replaced with a terrible dub.

I always watch the subtitled version but having said that, it's difficult to distinguish a good performance from a bad one if you don't speak the language.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

loyatemu wrote: »
    I always watch the subtitled version but having said that, it's difficult to distinguish a good performance from a bad one if you don't speak the language.

I speak a little French so I'm perhaps in an advantage, but while I may not understand what's said, I feel the projection and way the actor says it. Especially European languages that kinda swim in the same linguistic pool. Like with Dark, the performances felt good, even if I didn't understand the words spoken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

On episode 4 now. Fairly predictable, and breezes along, with the backstories unfolding slowly, but interestingly. Nothing that hasn't already been done before, with everything falling into place perfectly for the wily main character with his capers, but the backstories help with adding some good drama. The lead is charming, and full of panache. All in all, a nice easy entertaining watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

The lead is very good.

Enjoyable first five episodes.

Looking forward to the rest.

Finished this up yesterday and loved it. Breezy, charming fun. Nothing groundbreaking but a great adventure. The cast have great chemistry and little things like an otherwise affable separated family unit made the domestic plotting more digestible, believable. (instead of ploughing the cliché antagonisms between exes).

My only quibble was episode 4 contained a really bad bit of Idiot Ball that had me shouting at the screen. Make a damn copy.my wife

Coincidentally, a Trailer for the second part came out; Netflix US is dubbed again, while Netflix France is only in French lol. So here it is, in French with English subtitles, via Netflix Asia :D

• Registered Users Posts: 60,279 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Trailer for part 2 which drops June 11th.

Part 2 has dropped today :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Watched the second part of this in the past couple of days. Plot holes and conveniences that you could fly a jumbo jet through but an enjoyable romp all the same. The camera work and the music in particular are fantastic.

I assume there will be a second series at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Watched the second part of this in the past couple of days. Plot holes and conveniences that you could fly a jumbo jet through but an enjoyable romp all the same. The camera work and the music in particular are fantastic.

I assume there will be a second series at some stage.

It's loosely based on the books, so plenty of potential seasons

I think there were 10-12 books

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Part 1 was excellent really enjoyed it.

Part 2 was terrible, really let down...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

IrishTimes review was calling the second drop "The Event of the Summer"
    I find it impossible to watch with the awful dubbing, its like they got the cheapest voice actors possible and recorded their audio independently, no sense of them interacting with each other and each desperately trying to put super emphasis on every single word they say.
    A total miss for me I'm afraid, i'd expect the subtitled version to be a lot better.

Yeah, sounds like dubbing; why did you choose that option in the first instance, out of curiosity?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭nc6000

Yeah, sounds like dubbing; why did you choose that option in the first instance, out of curiosity?

We turned off the dubbing and went with the French audio and subtitles. Much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Just watching episode 6 now, or part 2 episode 1. Wow the drop off in quality is massive. Huge elements of the plot in this episode simply make no sense. Its like they had preplanned set pieces and forgot they had to actually explain how they got to that point. And that assassin fella would have been an embarrassment to feckin' stormtroopers he was so bad at his job.

EDIT: 5 mins into episode 6 and it's jumped the shark entirely. It's simply stopped making any sense at all.

I think the show is a bit of a cartoon, and I mean that as both compliment and criticism. It's light and effortless entertainment, but internal logic can sometimes go west. The show got a big "hmmm..." from me when a big plot pivot depended on it never occurring to characters to make a USB backup.

But damnit if the lead isn't the Most Charming Man in France, so I'm along for the ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I think the show is a bit of a cartoon, and I mean that as both compliment and criticism. It's light and effortless entertainment, but internal logic can sometimes go west. The show got a big "hmmm..." from me when a big plot pivot depended on it never occurring to characters to make a USB backup.

But damnit if the lead isn't the Most Charming Man in France, so I'm along for the ride.

It's basically the Pink Panther imo.

The younger kid is the image of Omar Sy also, uncanny resemblance/characteristics/etc.

• Advertisement

Currently watching Part 2 of this and not on par with Part 1 for me.

Advertisement