Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Towns & villages of Galway

• 10-05-2021 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hello,

I am currently saving for a deposit for a house. I am not originally from Galway, however have settled here, in a relationship and secure job. I am trying to identify areas which would be good to buy in Galway (& relatively cheap).

The main towns I am thinking is Athenry (train transport to town, some amenities - nice running areas, restaurants and shops) and Tuam (Burkes Bus, close to Motorway, Supervalu, some amenities and a park).

just wondering is there any towns I may have overlooked that would be considered a good commuter town? (we both have cars & drive)

Any suggestions would be very welcome, if you live in either town any pros or cons would be welcome too!!

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Loughrea.
    Cheaper house prices than Athenry. More choice of houses. Bigger town. Better selection of shops. More going on. A fair few primary and secondary schools ( although Athenrys reputation is probably better )Only a bus service, but it's regular and often.
    An extra ten minutes travel time, but it's motorway and an excellent link road.

Oranmore. Where are you working?
    If you bought in town and got rid of one car would it make a difference?
    The commute from Tuam in would be a grind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Any suggestions would be very welcome, if you live in either town any pros or cons would be welcome too!!

Thank you!

What part of the City/Country do ye work in, and what time you start?

Are you welded to east of the city ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

pg633 wrote: »
    Oranmore. Where are you working?
    If you bought in town and got rid of one car would it make a difference?
    The commute from Tuam in would be a grind.

Second this. Commuting from Tuam is dire.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Snoozecruise

Thanks all, Loughrea was not really a consideration so definitely worth looking into.

Oranmore would be out of our budget really for anything decent.

Both in MNCs Parkmore area, he is on site and is 7-15:30 and I am flexi-time (core 9-16:30pm), currently working from home for the foreseeable.

Our main objective was a good life/mortgage balance hence Tuam but if the commuting is that bad it may be worth the extra on the mortgage!

• Advertisement

Thanks all, Loughrea was not really a consideration so definitely worth looking into.

Oranmore would be out of our budget really for anything decent.

Both in MNCs Parkmore area, he is on site and is 7-15:30 and I am flexi-time (core 9-16:30pm), currently working from home for the foreseeable.

Our main objective was a good life/mortgage balance hence Tuam but if the commuting is that bad it may be worth the extra on the mortgage!

7-15:30 would be a good time to be doing it. I haven't started quite that early in a while but I'd expect traffic to be ok. Maybe someone else would have a better idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭what_traffic

How about Claregalway as you both work in Parkmore? Or are you looking for a bigger town?

How about Claregalway as you both work in Parkmore? Or are you looking for a bigger town?

Looking at Claregalway too, a few houses for sale in River Oaks, we hear Claregalway is fairly flood prone? which wouldn't be great for Irish climate!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭Homelander

Loughrea isn't a bad call if places like Oranmore and Claregalway are too expensive. It's a nice town, plenty of shops/restaurants/etc and you'd fly in and out on the motorway.

It would be worth the extra to get somewhere like Oranmore though if the budget can stretch. Excellent location right on the edge of the city, has the main supermarkets, nice restaurants/bars, excellent bus service and there's a train station as well, Renville Park is superb and just down the road, good local schools and amenities as well.

I've lived in town the past 12 years but moving back to Oranmore now. It's really a great place to live. Claregalway is nice and excellent location too, but Oranmore has way more facilities and amenities.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,381 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Looking at Claregalway too, a few houses for sale in River Oaks, we hear Claregalway is fairly flood prone? which wouldn't be great for Irish climate!
    Claregalway hasn't had a major flood since 2011 - the OPW have invested a lot in river works there.
    That said, things are getting pricy around the village as with a lot of places in fairness.
    It would still generally be a cheaper option than Oranmore though.

• Advertisement

kippy wrote: »
    Claregalway hasn't had a major flood since 2011 - the OPW have invested a lot in river works there.
    That said, things are getting pricy around the village as with a lot of places in fairness.
    It would still generally be a cheaper option than Oranmore though.

All true, but it should be noted the worst thing about Claregalway is the road through the middle of it

Thanks folks. Lots of great suggestions and advice! Really considering closer to the city given the commute and assesability to work. Glad I posted this thread as I was very pigeon holed in my choices.

Hopefully the restrictions lifiting will bring more houses on the market! 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Don't think River Oaks ever had a flooding issue and the work they did on the river should reduce the risk even more.
    Very good primary and secondary schools from what I've heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Wompa1

If you go a bit further, you'll get better deals. Areas like Kiltullagh and New Inn are a short drive to Loughrea and Athenry.

Turloughmore and Corrandulla aren't far from Galway City, ClareGalway and Oranmore.

Headford is very close to Galway City and the roads have improved a lot. Also has a large supermarket and a few different takeouts.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    If you go a bit further, you'll get better deals. Areas like Kiltullagh and New Inn are a short drive to Loughrea and Athenry.

Turloughmore and Corrandulla aren't far from Galway City, ClareGalway and Oranmore.

Headford is very close to Galway City and the roads have improved a lot. Also has a large supermarket and a few different takeouts.

The problem with going outside even the small towns is you are basically consigning yourself to living on a virtual island. You can't do anything without the car and its miles to anything beyond a small shop and you are taking your life into your hands if you try going for a walk or a cycle

It all depends what your priorities are

DaCor wrote: »
    The problem with going outside even the small towns is you are basically consigning yourself to living on a virtual island. You can't do anything without the car and its miles to anything beyond a small shop and you are taking your life into your hands if you try going for a walk or a cycle

Yeah for sure, we are already residing in the Attymon area, so close to a small town within walking distance to good public transport is a huge priority! Even if you run low on milk your driving 5k for a shop!

I know the country is more bang for your buck but after WFH for a year and a half its not fun having nothing but boreen roads outside our door.

I know the country is more bang for your buck but after WFH for a year and a half its not fun having nothing but boreen roads outside our door.

Exactly this.

Yeah for sure, we are already residing in the Attymon area, so close to a small town within walking distance to good public transport is a huge priority! Even if you run low on milk your driving 5k for a shop!

Bicycles are hugely popular now and don't have to live somewhere where the only thing in walking distance is boreen roads. Plenty of options.

DaCor wrote: »

I'd honestly feel safer cycling out in the country than in the city. Even with the new cycle lanes.

Bicycles are hugely popular now and don't have to live somewhere where the only thing in walking distance is boreen roads. Plenty of options.

In reality though - are people taking all these "options" you speak of? CSO stats dont show that
    "Safer" - is very subjective, and it really depends on where in the Country you are talking about, big difference between boreens of Woodford v's Claregalway (East of Corrib) and Bearna v's Carna (West of the Corrib)

• Advertisement

In reality though - are people taking all these "options" you speak of? CSO stats dont show that
    "Safer" - is very subjective, and it really depends on where in the Country you are talking about, big difference between boreens of Woodford v's Claregalway (East of Corrib) and Bearna v's Carna (West of the Corrib)

Options in terms of places to live I believe the poster meant.

thanks, I have met many bikes while driving on country roads and it wouldn't be for me unfortunately. Maybe some day however the bike solution wouldn't compensate for the lack of urban living which is the main priority.

thanks, I have met many bikes while driving on country roads and it wouldn't be for me unfortunately. Maybe some day however the bike solution wouldn't compensate for the lack of urban living which is the main priority.

Well at least you know what you don't want. Should help narrow things down.

xckjoo wrote: »
    Don't think River Oaks ever had a flooding issue and the work they did on the river should reduce the risk even more.
    Very good primary and secondary schools from what I've heard.

A work colleague of mine lives there - really likes the estate and Claregalway + the convenience of the work commute (we both work in Parkmore).

I can only see public transport connectivity improving between Galway City and Claregalway in the years ahead.
    One downside of Claregalway is volume of the through traffic.
    Personally think it was a disaster for County Council to put all eggs in the M18 motorway; Claregalway still needs a bypass, it needed one 25yrs ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,659 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

A Claregalway still needs a bypass, it needed one 25yrs ago.

Claregalway needs MOAR ROADS but nowhere else does? Really?

You obviously live in Black and White world - you don't see all the shades inbetween. :D

Claregalway hasnt had a new road since as far back as I can remember.
    I'd agree however a proper bypass isn't the answer to the city's or Claregalways traffic problems.
    Light rail from Tuam, with stations in Tuam, Corofin, Claregalway, Carnmore airport, Parkmore, GMIT, and existing station in town may be the answer coupled with plenty park and ride.

That or a free regular bus service subsidized by the hundreds of millions saved on new roads or above rail solution with the same stops is the answer.

Either way OP. Claregalway is a great place to live from what I have heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

And here we go again on another bikes, roads, traffic thread.
    I'm sure the OP is aware of the traffic situation in city and county and I know travel to and from home will come into their consideration. But by Christ we have a talent on this forum for diverting every topic and thread down a transportation rabbit hole.

Anyway, just a comment on Claregalway... have family there and it's very nice and the traffic is improving, especially at the times you're travelling, but prices have rapidly increased in the last 2-3 months.

Anyway, just a comment on Claregalway... have family there and it's very nice and the traffic is improving, especially at the times you're travelling, but prices have rapidly increased in the last 2-3 months.

Any examples?

• Advertisement

Any examples?

The poster is correct - prices are increasing due to demand and a serious supply issue - same as most places tbf.
    Most of the village is within walking distance of 2 national schools, a secondard school, shops, pubs, and amenities are improving.
    It's an area in demand.

Advertisement