Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What Golf clubs to buy

• 10-05-2021 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi I started playing golf around 2 years ago since then I have gotten lessons which was the best well worth the money .

I'm now looking for a good set of golf clubs budget of around 1k something that will last a good while its hard to choose as there are so many. Does anyone recommend any brands also what do you think is the best steel, titanium or other ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Neewollah

Hi OP,

To be honest all the top brands are excellent and great quality. Personally I'm a big Taylormade fan myself. Find they last and are very forgiving

Are you talking about just a new set of irons for 1K or a whole new set of 14 clubs altogether?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭blue note

I'd imagine they'd be delighted to put you on one of the machines if you're thinking of spending that sort of money - check you out and get some sort of an idea of what sort of shafts might suit you and the like. And they should let you try what you're looking at before buying I'd assume.

But you can't go wrong with any of the leading brands. I think Wilson irons tend to have slightly more bang for their buck than others, but if you shop around you'll find deals on cobras or callaways or whatever. Second hand is always a good option. I have my irons for over 10 years and they're great clubs. If someone else had a set for a couple of years they're most likely absolutely fine.

I wouldn't spend too much of your budget on the putter. Again - Wilson have options around the €110 mark and they're supposed to be excellent.

And don't feel you have to get 14 clubs. You might rarely use a 3 and 5 wood, a 3h could be a better option. When you think about it, I'd say the clubs that you definitely need are driver, something else relatively long from the tee and fairways (a three wood perhaps), 5-9 iron, PW, SW, putter. That's only 10 clubs. I'd say make sure you get stuff you're happy with for those clubs, and if you can add a 4h, or a gap wedge then great. But I reckon if you found a set of irons you like that would leave you a couple of clubs short of 14, you'd be better off going for them instead of compromising on the irons for the sake of a 3 and 5 wood that you might not even use every round.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭StephenRy30

Neewollah wrote: »
    Hi OP,

To be honest all the top brands are excellent and great quality. Personally I'm a big Taylormade fan myself. Find they last and are very forgiving

Are you talking about just a new set of irons for 1K or a whole new set of 14 clubs altogether?

A whole new set , what taylormade set do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭StephenRy30

blue note wrote: »
    I'd imagine they'd be delighted to put you on one of the machines if you're thinking of spending that sort of money - check you out and get some sort of an idea of what sort of shafts might suit you and the like. And they should let you try what you're looking at before buying I'd assume.

But you can't go wrong with any of the leading brands. I think Wilson irons tend to have slightly more bang for their buck than others, but if you shop around you'll find deals on cobras or callaways or whatever. Second hand is always a good option. I have my irons for over 10 years and they're great clubs. If someone else had a set for a couple of years they're most likely absolutely fine.

I wouldn't spend too much of your budget on the putter. Again - Wilson have options around the €110 mark and they're supposed to be excellent.

And don't feel you have to get 14 clubs. You might rarely use a 3 and 5 wood, a 3h could be a better option. When you think about it, I'd say the clubs that you definitely need are driver, something else relatively long from the tee and fairways (a three wood perhaps), 5-9 iron, PW, SW, putter. That's only 10 clubs. I'd say make sure you get stuff you're happy with for those clubs, and if you can add a 4h, or a gap wedge then great. But I reckon if you found a set of irons you like that would leave you a couple of clubs short of 14, you'd be better off going for them instead of compromising on the irons for the sake of a 3 and 5 wood that you might not even use every round.

I wouldn't mind second hand save a bit of money, would i get a good set of golf clubs for around €500 ? Just looking at options.

I started off with a set of Wilson

Yeah I think your right I don't need a set of 14 just the important ons

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Neewollah

A whole new set , what taylormade set do you have?

I have a SIM driver and p790 irons. Got fitted for them last year. Cost me around 1600 in total. Got Callaway wedges and 3 wood also.

Loving all the new clubs other than the 3 wood. Still having regular arguments with that :D

You could get good value on a set of p790s now as they are not the current Taylormade product. I love them...very forgiving and love the feel and flight on them. Shaft has a lot to do with it though.

If you are going to play a lot of golf going forward I would invest that 1000 into a new fitted set of irons for yourself and in the short term maybe pick up a good 2nd hand driver that suits your needs until you feel happy to invest further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭big_drive

I'd seek advice from whoever gave you lessons as they'd know your game and what would suit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭OEP

I wouldn't mind second hand save a bit of money, would i get a good set of golf clubs for around €500 ? Just looking at options.

I started off with a set of Wilson

Yeah I think your right I don't need a set of 14 just the important ons

You can get some great clubs at great prices on Adverts.ie . My whole set was bought there, not at once I picked up bits separately. Probably spent around 500 and they're good clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

Once you have an idea what you want, golf bidder is excellent value and clubs are often better than expected

• Registered Users Posts: 15,823 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

best advice I would give is to buy something you like.

It's all well and good getting fit and advice from shops/internet/pros etc, but you have to be happy yourself.

If you find a set of clubs which you like, then chances are you will be able to tailor/custom/fit them to suit your game

Once you have an idea what you want, golf bidder is excellent value and clubs are often better than expected

Just be careful of the extra VAT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

I was in a similar boat as you OP a couple of years ago when i was getting back into the game....i ended up getting fully kitted out within the 1k budget in American Golf......new set of Cobra F8 irons (end of season or possibly already outgoing model), TM M2 driver, cobra F6 5w and f7 4h, new cleveland SW, trolley and bag......

The only problem with second hand is that they don't tend to have much in the main stores.....however, try golfmarket.ie and golf studio at celbridge driving range.......i'd be very surprised if you didn't get fully kitted out with a quality set of second hand stuff in either.....advantage of golf studio is you can see and try out the clubs there and then....you might not take to certain clubs and 500 odd for irons is a lot to spend without feeling them.....

Re the putter, i think 100 to 150 would get you a very nice odyssey, ping or TM....i recently moved on an odyssey o works marksman for less and 100 for example....golf studio always have a good selection.....

I'm thinking of moving on the M2 driver and maybe a cobra F8 3W if you want to dm me to discuss but entirely up to yourself....i tend to flip clubs a bit...

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭kennethrhcp

spend 100 & head to foregolf. you'll get fitted there & they've lots of brands & shaft types. they'll recommend a set up for you

i priced the clubs recommended and their price couldnt be beat by AG/mcguirks (stock shaft vs fitted shaft even)

no pressure to buy from them but at least you'll have narrowed down your search & can hunt the set you want down then

Advertisement