Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hotels nationwide with charge points.

• 11-05-2021 8:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭

I'll get the ball rolling.

Cork: The River Lee hotel. 2 X tesla (1 Tesla only)

Wexford: Ferrycarrig Hotel. 1 X 3.7kW

Wexford: Coast, Kilmore Quay 2X Tesla (1 Tesla only)

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Kellys Resort in Rosslare have 7 Tesla Destination chargers with 4 of them designated Tesla only. (11+ kW)
    The Armada Hotel in Spanish Point have 3 Tesla destination chargers with 2 of them Tesla only (11+ kW)
    The Radisson Spa in Limerick has 1 and it’s Tesla only. (11+ kW)

Here's a few of the ones in Kelly's Resort, showing the red & grey signs at each charger.. (red sign is Tesla only, Grey sign is any Type 2 Car)

608090.jpg

And here is the Armada Hotel in Spanish Point;

600084.jpg

So in summary, when scouting out charging locations at hotels, and you see Tesla destination chargers, dig a little deeper (in PlugShare App) to see how many there are and if some are open to all EV’s....

Clayton Hotel in Clonshaugh (M1/M50 Interchange) has 4 EasyGo AC chargers.

Seemingly free to use for hotel guests, but quite slow (~3kW)

713954.jpg

Coast Hotel Rosslare - 2 Tesla Destination Chargers (1 is Tesla Only)

Coast Hotel Kilmore Quay - 2 Tesla Destination Chargers (1 is Tesla Only)

Brook Lodge at Macreddin Village (Close to Aughrim, Co. Wicklow)

3 Tesla Type 2 Destination Chargers - (2 are Tesla Only)
    327892.jpg

Renvyle House Hotel & Resort, Connemara, Co. Galway
    (This hotel is in a stunning location)

2 Tesla Type 2 Destination Chargers (1 is Tesla only)
    307926.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,701 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Renvyle House Hotel & Resort, Connemara, Co. Galway
    (This hotel is in a stunning location)

2 Tesla Type 2 Destination Chargers (1 is Tesla only)

Jaysis, you get around a lot, you must be keeping the hospitality industry alive in this country :)

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The Merryman in Kinvara, Co Galway. Telsa chargers (think there might be one that can be used by any car but not in the photo):

394869.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Redcastle Hotel in Inishowen, Donegal has chargers.

2 x 7Kw Tesla
    and
    1 x 7kw type 2

Jaysis, you get around a lot, you must be keeping the hospitality industry alive in this country :)

I've only charged at Kelly's in Rosslare, Armada in Clare, and Radisson in Limerick. All photo's from PlugShare (The one at Kelly's of the white Model 3 is mine though)

I have been to Macreddin Village & Renvyle House, but long before EV's were things....

Not sure if we're allowing UK hotels, but some of them certainly know how to do EV charging

https://www.plugshare.com/location/184983

Holiday Inn/Staybridge Suites, Bath Road, Heathrow, London

34x Pod Point 7kW Type 2 chargers

If I get to go to London at any point this year I'll likely be staying there. Doubt there's any problems finding a free charger :)

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    (think there might be one that can be used by any car but not in the photo)

The key with the Tesla destination chargers is red sign = Tesla only, Grey sign = any Type 2 EV.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The key with the Tesla destination chargers is red sign = Tesla only, Grey sign = any Type 2 EV.

Yeah that's why I said there might be one not in the photo that's usable by non Teslas.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Yeah that's why I said there might be one not in the photo that's usable by non Teslas.

Definitely needs a PlugShare update/check in when/if they open back up this summer... as the few reviews don't look promising!!

Hotels should be all over this now with the ever increasing number of EV's, and coupled with holidaying in Ireland/daytrips/weekend trips etc... they could become very appealing with a bank of 4-8 7kW chargers...

I know when I'm looking at possible places to go and hotels to stay at, ones with chargers end up at or near the top of the list!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I know when I'm looking at possible places to go and hotels to stay at, ones with chargers end up at or near the top of the list!!

Agreed, I will say after a fair bit of staying in Ireland last year that dependability of charge point being working is poor, after install I'd say they are largely ignored by owners inc. fairly decent sized hotels

• Registered Users Posts: 13,756 ✭✭✭✭JPA

There is an ESB charger in the car park for the Station house hotel Clifden.
    Not operated by the hotel but 2 minutes from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭fafy

Is there any single app, that shows ALL charge points, struggling to understand on the 3 apps I have downloaded so far:

EasyGo
    ESB
    Zap Map

Neither, seem to have them all, am i misunderstanding something !??

slave1 wrote: »
    Agreed, I will say after a fair bit of staying in Ireland last year that dependability of charge point being working is poor, after install I'd say they are largely ignored by owners inc. fairly decent sized hotels

On that topic the Fitzwilton hotel in Waterford does NOT have an EV charger anymore

It apparently did at some point and is no longer in service according to the hotel staff. Still on the ESB app however :(

My only guess is that our favourite Waterford petrol station owner put a picnic table in front of it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Belmore Motel, Enniskillen

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Redlim

Are these hotel based chargers generally free to use for guests, including the Telsa chargers on non - Tesla cars?

Also, if booking a hotel would they allow you to book the charger in advance or is it first come first served? Potential to get caught out if it's already in use overnight.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

fafy wrote: »
    Is there any single app, that shows ALL charge points, struggling to understand on the 3 apps I have downloaded so far:

EasyGo
    ESB
    Zap Map

Neither, seem to have them all, am i misunderstanding something !??

Between ZapMap and PlugShare you should be there for full coverage, there's no one single app unfortunately as they are continually out of date.
    For likes of hotels etc ZM and PS are totally dependent on community updates, same with broken charge points

• Advertisement

Redlim wrote: »
    Are these hotel based chargers generally free to use for guests, including the Telsa chargers on non - Tesla cars?

Yes. (but some of the Tesla chargers will only charge a Tesla).
    Also, if booking a hotel would they allow you to book the charger in advance or is it first come first served? Potential to get caught out if it's already in use overnight.

First come first served I'd assume..

Plan to use them, but don't rely on them would be my way of doing it.

Some charge money, some don't, you'll need to ask beforehand

As for booking them, I don't think most hotels let you reserve the charger, but it's always worth asking ahead if the charger is working and if you can use it when you arrive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭fafy

slave1 wrote: »
    Between ZapMap and PlugShare you should be there for full coverage, there's no one single app unfortunately as they are continually out of date.
    For likes of hotels etc ZM and PS are totally dependent on community updates, same with broken charge points

That explains a lot, many thanks, i’m still in “Early Learning” mode !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Lyrath Estate Hotel have two, 17.3kW, 3 Phase (three-times 6.2kW or there abouts). Operated by EasyGo, but free to use (as of early 2020 anyway).
    Sligo Park Hotel have some, unsure of the spec. They aren't listed on https://openchargemap.org/site either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I stayed in the River Lee in Cork before Christmas last year. I was able to book the charger, but when I arrived at the reception, the person checking me in seemed surprised you could do that.

The charge points are in the basement section that is reserved for the hotel, The hotel section was practically empty, as you'd expect during a lockdown, but there was still a diesel car parked in the Tesla only space. :rolleyes:

I had to get out to move the cable left strewn across the parking spot before I could get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭turnfan

Bring a granny cable and an unreeled 13A extension lead would be my advice...

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Redlim

I stayed in the River Lee in Cork before Christmas last year. I was able to book the charger, but when I arrived at the reception, the person checking me in seemed surprised you could do that.

The charge points are in the basement section that is reserved for the hotel, The hotel section was practically empty, as you'd expect during a lockdown, but there was still a diesel car parked in the Tesla only space. :rolleyes:

I had to get out to move the cable left strewn across the parking spot before I could get in.

Yeah I suppose the approach to take is not to bank on it being available (even if prebooked) and only consider it a bonus that it's available/working

Yeah I suppose the approach to take is not to bank on it being available (even if prebooked) and only consider it a bonus that it's available/working

Absolutely. Any time I’ve used a hotel charger, it was a ‘nice to have’, but I wouldn’t have been too upset if I didn’t have the use of it… as in each case I had an eCars FCP or a Supercharger within comfortable range of the SOC I arrived at the hotel with….. the bonus was that I left the following morning at 100% and didn’t need an immediate vicinity charge to keep me on my way…

turnfan wrote: »
    Bring a granny cable and an unreeled 13A extension lead would be my advice...

Already done :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Clayton Hotel in Clonshaugh (M1/M50 Interchange) has 4 EasyGo AC chargers.

Seemingly free to use for hotel guests, but quite slow (~3kW)

713954.jpg

The 4 chargers are 22kw with no load management in place

Advertisement