Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Need help buying car please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Hello.
    So, I know nothing about cars. I've been driving for about ten years and no nothing. I've always had a mechanic who I foolishly trusted and who always got cars for me when I needed one. I bought one off him eleven months ago and it's absolutely frigged. In the first four months it needed a new battery and two new tyres. Turns out he was scamming me so now I need to find a car by myself but I don't know where to start. I do a lot of driving. I mean loads. I have two kids so I need something reliable and spacey for us. I know I won't be able to get much with my budget (€3000) but I need something this week. I have a 08 VW Jetta 2.0 at the moment. Not sure if that's even worth mentioning. But, if someone could help me out I'd appreciate it so much.

Tires and batteries are consumables. Needing two tires and a battery within four months after buying a second hand (2008) car is not unusual and certainly doesn't mean he was scamming you, especially as you noted you do loads of driving which means the tires are obviously going to be worn out quickly.
    When you buy a second hand car, you normally don't get new tires with it so the cost of the tires should be factored into your budget

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭anplaya27

Trust noone.
    Not even yourself.
    Do not buy on impulse
    Money is better in your pocket than a dealers.
    Be patient.

Joking aside. Always bring a mechanic with you. Simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Owning a 13 year old car and all it needed is battery and 2 tyres is not being scammed.

Problem is that every 2nd hand vehicle has issues and even people in the trade can get caught out. But if you have been getting the mechanic to buy your cars for the last 10 years and only had to replace a few consumables on your current purchase then you have a good mechanic

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tbh, buying from a mechanic you know is probably best. I don't know why you think he's scamming you but if you rather buy from someone else then buy from a local dealer, they will give you some warranty (not on battery or tyres though as they are consumables).

Get a small Jap car. They are most reliable and cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭User1998

How did he scam you? Your 13 year old car needed a new battery and tyres. Looks like he done a good job at finding you a good reliable car for the money you paid.

And how is the car ‘absolutely frigged’? Does it need a new set of wiper blades? Or did one of your headlights blow?

And how did he scam your mother?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

OP has deleted their post.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement