Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2021 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Meanwhile Nadal double breadsticked Dmitrov , christ this guy will be winning the French Open when he's 60 - I'm not even exaggerating.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭camz09

And ze Brits at The Tennis Podcast just collectively ejaculated with that Evans win....

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Dan evans with another big win in 3 sets against Goffin

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Rublev get his first win over Nadal, and on clay too. Means nothing in terms of RG obviously, but I'm sure Rublev will take it all the same.

Quite the surprising SF lineup in Monte Carlo this week. Dan Evans beating Hurkacz, Djokovic and now Goffin today. Ruud also having a good run, taking out Schwartzman, Carreno Busta and Fognini.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,582 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Meanwhile Nadal double breadsticked Dmitrov , christ this guy will be winning the French Open when he's 60 - I'm not even exaggerating.

He won’t win FO again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,582 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Fun fact

2000 - 2021 slams:

19 players have shared the 85 slams..

58 of the 85 owned by the big three!!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Tsitsipas off to a flying start to 3-0.4-2 now, but Rublev not at the races yet

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

First masters for Tsitsipas. Would've preferred Rublev to win though. Nadal still favourite for RG methinks.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Fed to play Geneva and the FO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

vsqewq51ebu61.png

Nadal

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    He won’t win FO again!

:D:D:D:D:D:D

That statement might be true after the FO 2024 ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Alcaraz, Sinner and Musetti are the future of tennis.

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    Alcaraz, Sinner and Musetti are the future of tennis.

Hard to disagree. Add Rublev and Tsitispas too, i think.

I see Nadal saved a match point and about 50 break points to robbing another title.

What a disgrace to the game.

They may as well inscribe his name on the next 4 french opens

TomSweeney wrote: »
    vsqewq51ebu61.png

Nadal

*xnip snip ...

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Can see the f*cking syringe there next to the filthy cheat

Hector you should know better. mod alert

Nadal not bulldozing everyone this week, but he will have played himself into sufficient form in a few weeks to be in pole for the FO.
    Tsitispas was pretty good today, until he was faced with the prospect of actually winning it.

Hard to know where the field (par Nadal) is going to be come the FO, Thiem is not playing much, Djokovic is all over the place, that second final spot is really up for grabs.

lostcat wrote: »
    Nadal not bulldozing everyone this week, but he will have played himself into sufficient form in a few weeks to be in pole for the FO.
    Tsitispas was pretty good today, until he was faced with the prospect of actually winning it.

Hard to know where the field (par Nadal) is going to be come the FO, Thiem is not playing much, Djokovic is all over the place, that second final spot is really up for grabs.

I imagine come Paris Djokovic will have righted the ship, I can't see past a Djokovic-Nadal final. I'd be pretty happy with a repeat of what happened the last time tbh! Would love Thiem to be a factor but he seems a bit mentally shot at the moment, there was some interview doing the rounds on Twitter earlier this week that didn't bode well for the weeks ahead.

I'm struggling with tennis overall at the moment tbh, I guess it's the lack of crowds. It didn't bother me at the US Open last year for some reason but the regular events just feel dead. Stuttgart behind closed doors was just miserable. At least for RG we should have some few fans in attendance, and Wimbledon should have a decent atmosphere also.

Pro's should just skip the clay season as it's pointless competing against Nadal, he will always be there ... always always always ...

looking ahead to grass already..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I imagine come Paris Djokovic will have righted the ship, I can't see past a Djokovic-Nadal final. I'd be pretty happy with a repeat of what happened the last time tbh! Would love Thiem to be a factor but he seems a bit mentally shot at the moment, there was some interview doing the rounds on Twitter earlier this week that didn't bode well for the weeks ahead.

I'm struggling with tennis overall at the moment tbh, I guess it's the lack of crowds. It didn't bother me at the US Open last year for some reason but the regular events just feel dead. Stuttgart behind closed doors was just miserable. At least for RG we should have some few fans in attendance, and Wimbledon should have a decent atmosphere also.
    Don't see Djokovic making the final. I think that, despite making the FO final last year and winning the Italian Open, he has actually regressed on clay. Tsitsipas and Thiem (if okay) will pose much more of a challenge.

I know what you mean regarding the crowds, sport in general is a duller spectacle without them. But Barcelona looked to be operating close to full capacity, which was a sight to behold, really added to the tournament I felt.

• Advertisement

Gonna be interesting to see how Osaka makes the improvements she needs to become a factor on clay. So far she's actually doing worse than her last clay season back in 2019. Has slight echoes of Serena and Venus' earlier career, never played clay as a junior and consequently didn't fare well initially on the surface as a senior.

What I don't understand though is how Osaka isn't great on grass either, I'd have thought it suits her game well. I guess it must be to do with the grass being significantly slower than it used to be.

Well at least there wasn't any bagels! Alcaraz wins just three games against Nadal on his 18th birthday. The potential is clear to see though, should be interesting seeing how he progresses over the years. Potential Nadal-Sinner 3rd round looming, but Sinner currently down a set and a break to Popyrin.

Badosa having a nice little run in Madrid, first ever Spanish woman to make the SF's. Has Barty up next, who she's already beaten on clay this year.

Zverev takes out Nadal in the QF 6-4, 6-4. Nadal looked ok in the early part, but then couldn't hit a ball after the first set. Very strange performance.

Only caught the tail end of it but saw Nadal spraying a few wild UE's. I'm sure he'll be grand next week and in Paris.

Only caught the tail end of it but saw Nadal spraying a few wild UE's. I'm sure he'll be grand next week and in Paris.

He will be probably be grand, but he hasn't had such a poor clay court prep in I don't know how long. It may not overly impact his playing level at the French, but he has dropped to no 3 in the rankings, meaning he might end up in the same half of the draw as both Thiem and Djokovic. While I don't think either (or anyone else) would beat him in a final, maybe the possibilities are somewhat more open in a quarter or a semi?
    If he loses early again this week, a few eyebrows will be raised, he generally used these tournaments as a springboard. At the same time, I won't be putting money on anyone else....

Ooh I hadn't thought about the fact he could play both Djokovic and Thiem before the final. Even if he lost in the first round of Rome and got the worst possible draw in Paris he'd still be my pick for the title. Time will tell I guess.

Surprised nobody commented on the Madrid final yesterday, thoroughly engrossing match. Would've preferred Berrettini to win but at least he'd a good week. Great win for Sabalenka too, that's a rivalry that's ripening nicely. Surely she's on course to finally reach a grand slam QF?

Nadal is guaranteed to win the French Open - I would say at a minimum 3 more.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

TomSweeney wrote: »

Dude stole my serve technique! :pac:

• Advertisement

Nadal starting to look a bit shaky on clay. Shapovalov had him on toast yesterday and blew it. Someone should tell Nadal to cop on with his time wasting tactics though. Regular occurrence now to put the hand up because he's not ready. Giving out to the umpire that they have to get their own towels......yeah, a good while now Rafa. So does everyone else.

Advertisement