Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scotland A return. A 6 nations?

• 10-05-2021 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭

Scotland A will face England A at Leicester’s Mattioli Woods Welford Road on Sunday 27 June, before the full national team heads to Europe to face Romania on 10 July and Georgia on 17 July in Test matches.

We havent had an A international in years. Would be interesting to see more games at this level again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The A internationals seemed to be quietly retired a number of years ago. The costs didn't add up I'm guessing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

The A internationals seemed to be quietly retired a number of years ago. The costs didn't add up I'm guessing?

Possibly but costs of most games at most levels dont add up if you look at them on their own. Games in aviva, and other full international games make up so much of IRFU income that without them irfu would be making huge losses overall.

Scots would be more strapped than us so if they are bringing back an A team then we should be able to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Pro X would be hit hard by this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Pro X would be hit hard by this too.

I doubt they would play A games on the same weekend as the Pro16. The league will have less games too by all accounts.

I doubt they would play A games on the same weekend as the Pro16. The league will have less games too by all accounts.
    A games would only be on weekends of 6 nations if there were going to be several every year.
    So pro16 wouldnt then clash if you had 2 international games per country on a weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,929 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I always enjoyed watching the A games. A packed Donnybrook, pints in the Bective clubhouse, floodlights and 80 minutes of open cavalier football on a muddy pitch from players with nothing to lose and whom were out to prove themselves. What more could you want, bar two tickets to the South Terrace?

I always enjoyed watching the A games. A packed Donnybrook, pints in the Bective clubhouse, floodlights and 80 minutes of open cavalier football on a muddy pitch from players with nothing to lose and whom were out to prove themselves. What more could you want, bar two tickets to the South Terrace?

would be nice to have them in other venues. Just like 20s. Bring them to other cities/venues especially as we cant have full tests outside the aviva
    So 20s in Cork, Women in Donnybrook. As in Galway/Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

A games would only be on weekends of 6 nations if there were going to be several every year.
    So pro16 wouldnt then clash if you had 2 international games per country on a weekend.

Wouldn't they have to train together? If they didn't have some sort of training camp I fail to see the point of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

It can only be beneficial to the national team. League games are not high enough standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,929 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

would be nice to have them in other venues. Just like 20s. Bring them to other cities/venues especially as we cant have full tests outside the aviva
    So 20s in Cork, Women in Donnybrook. As in Galway/Belfast.

I agree. One of the best moves that IRFU took was to move the Under 20's outside of Dublin. The Women's games did well in Ashbourne until circumstances prevailed but again they will benefit the game to move them around the provinces as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement