Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Am I doing something wrong?

• 09-05-2021 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭

Parked on the Carrickbrack road from Sutton to Howth facing uphill (almost opposite the graveyard).

A lot of cars parked with their wheels up on the path, and a couple like me parked with all 4 wheels on the road.

Four cyclists (of of maybe 40+) have made a comment indicating I should be parked on the path… from a guy relatively politely pointing, to two people shouting obscenities.

No double yellows. No signage. Plenty of passing space. Am I missing something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭3DataModem

View of road from google maps

https://goo.gl/maps/FHe23wLtw2Yz5S268

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Where the cars are parked is no parking, single white line, but to answer your question you shouldn’t be parking on the footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

I don't know the road buy please don't park on the footpath, it's really hard for people with push chairs or wheel chairs to get past.

Ideally find a car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Mr Mister

3DataModem wrote: »
    View of road from google maps

https://goo.gl/maps/FHe23wLtw2Yz5S268

I ran up there a few weeks ago and was forced out on to the road because of cars parked on the footpaths leaving very little space, with pedestrians coming the opposite direction. I’d hate to think how a wheelchair user would deal with cars right up on the footpath. So I’m pleased you’re parking on the road, which is where cars should be

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Where the cars are parked is no parking, single white line, but to answer your question you shouldn’t be parking on the footpath.

There’s no single line where I’m parked, there’s no line at all. On the graveyard side it’s mostly double yellows.

• Advertisement

I don't know the road buy please don't park on the footpath, it's really hard for people with push chairs or wheel chairs to get past.

Ideally find a car park.

Of course not, I’ve too many memories of pushing my twin buggy around parked cars years ago. I park on the road and there’s plenty of space for cyclists to pass (and two cars to pass each other, if needed). I’m just getting abuse at the rate of one cyclist every 10 mins, so wanted to check here as it is a very popular route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

There’s no single line where I’m parked, there’s no line at all. On the graveyard side it’s mostly double yellows.

Ah, could be faded or since removed. Google maps has a single white line all along the graveyard.

Regardless cars shouldn’t be parking on the footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ARX

Four cyclists (of of maybe 40+) have made a comment indicating I should be parked on the path… from a guy relatively politely pointing, to two people shouting obscenities.

No double yellows. No signage. Plenty of passing space. Am I missing something?
    No, you're not missing anything. Those four are jackasses and you can ignore them or shout back at them, whichever you prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

Your car presents a hazard because it sticks out in a line of cars. But it’s the other cars that really helped create the hazard in the first place. If you want to avoid possibility of someone getting injured by this situation you could look for somewhere else to park. If there’s no parking restriction you are within your rights to stay there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Lad up near the trailhead to Shielmartin Hill giving tickets to anyone parked on the footpath. Seen him most lunchtimes this past week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Raam wrote: »
    Lad up near the trailhead to Shielmartin Hill giving tickets.

What kind of lad? Parking warden or Garda?

Ideally find a car park.

Closest car park to the graveyard is probably a few km away, so not really a great option there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Effects wrote: »
    What kind of lad? Parking warden or Garda?

Parking warden I guess. Wasn't a garda anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

IIRC parking on a single white line is allowed unless signage indicating local by laws says different

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dowee

IIRC parking on a single white line is allowed unless signage indicating local by laws says different

https://www.theaa.ie/blog/safe-parking/

More specifically, the acts make it illegal to park a private car in the following circumstances:

On double yellow lines at any time
    On a single yellow line, during the times shown on an accompanying sign
    At the side of a road with a single white lane down the middle and/or a “No Overtaking” sign (unless there are 3 or more lanes each way)

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭YakerK

I realise people do park there all the time, but it astounds me that anyone thinks that's OK. Double yellow or not, it's clearly not a safe or appropriate place to park. I always worry about that section when cycling past, there's no accounting for what people will do there.

Obviously parking on the path is a complete non-runner, but parking on the road isn't really any better.

Authorities should provide safe parking location to access the graveyard because it's obviously required!

YakerK wrote: »
    I realise people do park there all the time, but it astounds me that anyone thinks that's OK. Double yellow or not, it's clearly not a safe or appropriate place to park. I always worry about that section when cycling past, there's no accounting for what people will do there.

Obviously parking on the path is a complete non-runner, but parking on the road isn't really any better.

Authorities should provide safe parking location to access the graveyard because it's obviously required!

It seems safe to me, as the road is pretty wide. It just gets hairy when people decide to park on double yellows anyway or double-park to drop off on the opposite side.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Loads of people parked there on both sides this morning as I cycled by. Most cars were half parked on the footpath.
    Doors opening without looking in mirrors and as I was descending the hill, one driver just pulls out, obviously without looking behind.
    Given the large volume of cyclists out that way today and every weekend, its an accident waiting to happen (although it won't be an accident but you get my point)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Just on this stretch, every car on the path was in the wrong. Depending on where you were, you may or may not have been, but the cyclists giving out to you and not the others who are more in the wrong is funny. If you are on the graveyard side, the only parking in either direction is just past the bus stop behind where your google link brings you. On the other side (across from the graveyard), you can park, on the road up as far as the speed limit sign. If you were there, you were grand although I suspect the cyclists were giving out to you regardless and were in the wrong both legally and morally.

Are the ramps along there new or do I just not recall them there before?

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    Just on this stretch, every car on the path was in the wrong. Depending on where you were, you may or may not have been, but the cyclists giving out to you and not the others who are more in the wrong is funny. If you are on the graveyard side, the only parking in either direction is just past the bus stop behind where your google link brings you. On the other side (across from the graveyard), you can park, on the road up as far as the speed limit sign. If you were there, you were grand although I suspect the cyclists were giving out to you regardless and were in the wrong both legally and morally.

I was well down the hill facing uphill, opposite the graveyard (just past the vehicle gate into Howth Celtic, opposite the bust stop). Seems - as I suspected - I was grand legally as well as safely parked.

Loads of people parked there on both sides this morning as I cycled by. Most cars were half parked on the footpath.
    Doors opening without looking in mirrors and as I was descending the hill, one driver just pulls out, obviously without looking behind.
    Given the large volume of cyclists out that way today and every weekend, its an accident waiting to happen (although it won't be an accident but you get my point)

Soccer training was back on since last week so a lot of parents dropping off and picking up, plus the Sunday morning graveyard traffic. The parked cars on the left hand side feel less hazardous because at least the cyclists have visibility from far out and are going slower.

The other side is madness. Cyclists at full downhill speed having to come out to clear the risk of doors and hope that the oncoming traffic doesn’t cross the line. The ramps have been around a few years and do make a big difference.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Are the ramps along there new or do I just not recall them there before?

They're new, I don't remember them being there before Christmas anyway.
    The first one coming down the hill is hefty if you're not expecting it!
    My memory was freshly wiped for it the first time I went down despite going up it first.

I don't think that's correct. I can't recall seeing any signage about it, but often see people clamped when parking on continuous white lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

Dowee wrote: »
    https://www.theaa.ie/blog/safe-parking/

More specifically, the acts make it illegal to park a private car in the following circumstances:

On double yellow lines at any time
    On a single yellow line, during the times shown on an accompanying sign
    At the side of a road with a single white lane down the middle and/or a “No Overtaking” sign (unless there are 3 or more lanes each way)
    you r right.Only skipped quickly through the post and thought the white line was by the footpath which in itself would be strange . that proves i can't speed read

The ramps have been around a few years and do make a big difference.
    eeeee wrote: »
    They're new, I don't remember them being there before Christmas anyway.
    Does not compute

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Does not compute

I thought the ones by the graveyard are new? Maybe they're just resurfaced. I don't remember them being there before, but I've hardly been up that way all year with restrictions, so my memory could be wrong (it's not to be relied upon at the best of times :D ).

I'm the same. Can't remember if they were there before or not.

Does not compute

I could be misremembering, but I drive on that route pretty frequently. May be only a year or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Just because there is no white line doesn't mean you can park there. If there isn't sufficient room for a car to pass without crossing the centre line then you shouldn't be parked there.

Advertisement