Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

buying a ladder advice

• 06-04-2021 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this. Want one for cleaning the gutters/upstairs windows) and painting the house outside etc. Not sure if anyone has any sites to recommend or even if you should buy second hand. (assuming they are legit and not nicked in the first place)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,188 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Are you experienced with ladders?
    they are inherently dangerous so while it will cost a lot more look at a mobile platform.

To answer your question, all the Irish sites are so expensive, I have a 5,3m Ladder Foldable Telescopic Extendable

Multipurpose Aluminium L5 ladder on the way from Germany for c 150 euro, including delivery for 150 lids, versus c 500 lids from Feb 14th.

Its UK company with a Germany base post Brexit

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Horusire

rightmove wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this. Want one for cleaning the gutters/upstairs windows) and painting the house outside etc. Not sure if anyone has any sites to recommend or even if you should buy second hand. (assuming they are legit and not nicked in the first place)

Recently had to rent a ladder to get up to the gutters. The absolute size of the yoke. I reckon it musta cost a fair few hundred to buy and it was huge. Ill be paying the 50 quid to the lad with the ladder to do it next year.

Just my thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Coop Superstore. Good selection and well priced.
    https://www.coopsuperstores.ie/search?q=Ladder

Also worth getting one of these
    https://www.screwfix.ie/p/ladder-stand-off/3571p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Having somewhere to store it is important and could determine if a 2 or 3 piece ladder suits your needs best.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭rightmove

they are inherently dangerous so while it will cost a lot more look at a mobile platform.

To answer your question, all the Irish sites are so expensive, I have a 5,3m Ladder Foldable Telescopic Extendable

Multipurpose Aluminium L5 ladder on the way from Germany for c 150 euro, including delivery for 150 lids, versus c 500 lids from Feb 14th.

If you can PM me the details of the german crowd that would be great or post here if it would benefit others. Thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tails142

As the reference above alludes to Feb 14th, I've been looking at valentine ladders, didn't think they were too overpriced but not sure what they charge for delivery, was looking at a 4m two part, ground to eave is 5.6m so that should do me. I think they had a few different brands for 250-300+ I haven't pulled the trigger yet though, need to check whether I can fit it on the garage wall, might have to go with 3 piece. What are the downsides to a 3 piece, never used one, more wobble? Less stable? Being deeper when assembled I'm thinking maybe more stable? What about the ladders you pull up with the rope, any use? Make it handier to get it up?

Was thinking of the rental option too, 50 quid a week isn't too bad but guaranteed I'd hire it and the rain would move in for the week, I dunno would prefer to own I think, less pressure to perform lol

Will try find that German site to compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭booooonzo

wouldnt mind a pm of this crowd either. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

When it comes to ladders I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for. I have a 3 piece extension ladder with a stabiliser for house work and the occasional job over 20 years and a foldable daily work ladder.
    I know Werner are a little pricey but the foldable one gets used at least once a week and has done that for over fifteen years without any trouble.
    This opens flat then doubles in size to 12 rungs.

75053_PI.jpeg

https://www.wernerco.com/eu/

They have a search menu to find exactly what you are looking for.

Or if it is only occasional use, might be cheaper to hire one from your local Hire shop. It saves on having to store it somewhere secure.

I have ordered a 5 rung version similar to the above as I need it for work, the 4 rung was sold out.
    If you need a pm, ask for it!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I have ordered a 5 rung version similar to the above as I need it for work, the 4 rung was sold out.

Can you PM me please C.
    I’m looking for a ladder for home for gutter and window cleaning. Need to stop borrowing the neighbors :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭rightmove

spotted a nice telescopic which is 4.7 meters 15.5 foot. Should just about do for my stand 2 storey gutters. Not sure if anyone uses telescopics

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭karlitob

And me please cal. Thanks.

Guys, am not following this forum so you need to pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭PMBC

rightmove wrote: »
    spotted a nice telescopic which is 4.7 meters 15.5 foot. Should just about do for my stand 2 storey gutters. Not sure if anyone uses telescopics

I used to use a telescopic for house condition surveys as part of work but just to access attic. Advantage was it was reasonably light and portable and fitted in boot of car. I never felt confident with it to use externally for anything more than cursory use extended to say 1.5 m.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i would buy a stradbbally ladder. definetly worth the extra over cheaper one.
    we have a long 3 piece and its a pleasure to work off of. its rock solid. very little deflection even fully out. my uncle has a cheap co op bought ladder that is half as long and it bends when you climb it. its a death trap.
    if your not used to ladders i think the stability and increase in safety is worth the cost increase.

get a ladder stand off if you are doing gutter work. well worth it

the folding ladders are great if the roof is low. i have a little giant 4 step . its brilliant. amazing around stairs or steps and fits in my van lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭martin6651

fibre glass or aluminium

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Anyone know name of the Germany website?

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Advertisement