Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Insulate between studs of timber frame house

Options
  • 07-05-2021 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi,

I recently moved a socket on an external wall of a timber frame house and took a few pictures with my phone of the area between the wall studs. There doesn't seem to be any insulation between the studs. Is it possible/ advisable to pump foam insulation or beads into the gaps? Would have to be pumped through the plasterboard on the inside

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Not really foam or beads. Would need to understand build-up if construction and how complete breathable felt/cavity on the outside of stud frame is.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 silkey

BryanF wrote: »
    Not really foam or beads. Would need to understand build-up if construction and how complete breathable felt/cavity on the outside of stud frame is.

From what I can see the buildup, starting from the inside is
    Plasterboard
    Timber studs
    A timber board fixed to the outside of the studs
    And I can't see beyond that.

The outer leaf is plastered block work

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

what depth are the studs you see?

it could be a service cavity
    did the wire penetrate the board?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

That would be my thinking, an uninsulated service cavity.

I think it's about 75mm, but not sure.
    I didn't think there was much distance between the inside of the window frame and the board connected to the outside of the stud. Would the window frame usually be in the same plane as the timber frame, or in the cavity?
    I didn't see the cable going through the board, but I wasn't looking for it!
    If it is a service cavity, there should be insulation outside the board, is that correct? Plasterboard isn't insulated.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

How old is the house?

BryanF wrote: »
    How old is the house?

Around 20 years old. Early 2000s

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Is the socket close to ground level ? I wonder was it quilt insulation that may have slipped down ? Can you drill a small hole into the plywood board and see if any insulation comes out with drill bit ? Was it a one off house or part of estate ? Ours is similar vintage, timber framed and part of small estate. Poorly built I have to say. Planning on getting thermal survey and or air tightness test done as I have my doubts re quality of t/f wall construction. Service ducts in repeat houses would not be standard as far as I know at that time. Window would normally be in the cavity zone.

Advertisement