Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Employers struggling to fill positions with hundreds of thousands unemployed

• 08-05-2021 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭

Employers struggling to fill many positions with hundreds of thousands unemployed. E350 a week for many to sit on their ass or work for slightly more, if full time on minimum wage... More genius from FG, who could have foreseen such issues? Any way, take the system for all its worth lads, if you are on PUP, you have at least worked and it wont last forever. There are tens of thousands here, who live off you and I from cradle to grave! luxury apartments, medical card, welfare bonuses, few hundred euro a week cash etc... the more you take, the less that is wasted on wasters! remember that!

there needs to be a proper pay related social insurance scheme introduced, time limited, based on what you paid in and possibly, that you start paying some of it back, when re-employed...

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/you-cant-blame-them-for-taking-other-jobs-hope-of-long-retail-hours-under-threat-as-employers-struggle-to-recruit-staff-40400535.html
    Opening hours will be hit as major retailers try to fill rosters during a scramble for staff ahead of Monday’s reopening.

Despite almost 400,000 people on the Pandemic Unemployment Payment, many employers have found it difficult to hire staff since the announcement that the lockdown will lift.

The country’s largest shopping centre in Dundrum has between 500-1,000 vacancies.

*mod snip - no need to quote the entire article*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Looks like there’s nothing else for it, we need to enter the highest state of “Capitalism” with the introduction of a Universal Basic Income.

The tide is turning…

Generic Boards rant. Would not read again.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Looks like there’s nothing else for it, we need to enter the highest state of “Capitalism” with the introduction of a Universal Basic Income.

And abolishment of zero hours contracts.

This is really really awful.
    I suppose they will just have to increase the wages then.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

We knew this was going to happen, the money won't keep rolling forever, times ahead are going to be extremely difficult for many.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So in effect companies are in a battle against the state subsidy to get a worker. No different that a company claiming price pressure on materials led to a price increase.

So they need to offer more.

€350 a week is €17.50ph for 20 hours. Hardly a massive amount, minimum wage for 40 hours.

And you asking a person to put themselves in potential harms way, certainly more chance of catching covid then when staying at home.

I say tell the owners to stop whinging. Either pay what is needed to get staff or stay closed.

How about they tell their landlords to take a hit, or their suppliers? Much easier to blame lazy workers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭EddieN75

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Employers struggling to fill many positions with hundreds of thousands unemployed. E350 a week for many to sit on their ass or work for slightly more, if full time on minimum wage... More genius from FG, who could have foreseen such issues? Any way, take the system for all its worth lads, if you are on PUP, you have at least worked and it wont last forever. There are tens of thousands here, who live off you and I from cradle to grave! luxury apartments, medical card, welfare bonuses, few hundred euro a week cash etc... the more you take, the less that is wasted on wasters! remember that!

there needs to be a proper pay related social insurance scheme introduced, time limited, based on what you paid in and possibly, that you start paying some of it back, when re-employed...

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/you-cant-blame-them-for-taking-other-jobs-hope-of-long-retail-hours-under-threat-as-employers-struggle-to-recruit-staff-40400535.html

Where is the part that says 6000 people have visited the job advertisement portal and dundrum expect a few weeks disruption before all posts filled?

Nothing to do with lazy people on pup. The problem is the lack of notice to hire so many people.

Fake news

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

People are definitely sizing up their options when considering when to go back to the workforce

I don’t blame them

I was working perfectly fine from home last year when I was threatened and cajoled back to work for no good reason other than- what I could consider a power trip-by management

IMHO part of the reason this guy was so adamant we return to work was because he was exposed and “in over his head” without his team to lean on multiple times a week

Ironically this manager was “rumbled” by his own managers shortly after when it came to light his experience and qualifications (all abroad in distant countries) were complete fabrications.

If i was getting the pup I’d think long and hard before going back. People will weigh up the pros and cons

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

rip off cost of living here, is a government decision... and say minimum wage was increased hugely, there will be many business closures and just more automation when possible...

This kind of rant won’t have them raging in the aisles. Firstly everybody on the pup used to work. Secondly the problem with next week is that many of those people who used to work in retail have moved on and don’t intend to just do retail again. That’s my neighbours position, he is applying to be a train driver.

Good for them. The benefits will be reduced eventually.

• Advertisement

rip off cost of living here, is a government decision... and say minimum wage was increased hugely, there will be many business closures and just more automation when possible...

That’s econ 101 nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Whenever we can't find staff, we up the salary. Then we find staff.

Seems you're all for capitalism except when the product for sale is labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Maybe a lot of people know that retail jobs especially are not a long term good idea so they have moved on to something that might be a better bet in the long run .A career working in a shop now is a thing of the past if you make it to retirment you will have little or nothing put aside especially if you are on your own .

If i was getting the pup I’d think long and hard before going back. People will weigh up the pros and cons

If PUP gives you a better quality of life, then people are going to stay on it. This government is going to have one hell of a battle on their hands when the time comes to wrap up PUP.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

tara2k wrote: »
    If PUP gives you a better quality of life, then people are going to stay on it. This government is going to have one hell of a battle on their hands when the time comes to wrap up PUP.

Unless they extend the legislation it's gone in June anyways, those still on it will be transferred onto Jobseeker's Benefit/Allowance which is payable at the maximum rate of 203 per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclette

If you are on PUP and are offered your job back but turn it down, you can be taken off PUP:

You may lose your payment if you:

Refuse to return to your place of work following lay off
    Refuse an offer of suitable employment
    Refuse or fail to engage with activation measures – this can include training that will help you find a job

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/covid19_pandemic_unemployment_payment.html

Its not just the shops that are having this issue, its hotels as well. A former colleague of my daughter has refused to go back to work. She has been on the PUP since last March, on pretty much the same income as my daughter who has been working several days a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭EddieN75

6000 people have viewed the jobs portal for Dundrum town centre. Management of the centre expect all roles to be filled and disruption to end in a few weeks. It takes time to fill all of the positions

Don't fall for the "people are gone lazy" rubbish

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

It's virtually impossible for an employer to match €350 for a part time worker. Between grossing it up as a full time salary and attaching a value to the expense and hassle of going to work you're probably looking at the equivalent of a salary in the mid 40Ks which is ludicrous for this type of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

If your on PUP and your job opens back up, would your payment not be cut off? Surely they have kept records of who has been claiming and for what?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,225 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Dunno - once the PUP numbers start shrinking, it'll be easy enough to put a finish date on it. If I was on PUP and had a job offer to go back - I'd be thinking better to take it up sooner rather than waiting too long. Last in, first out etc.

The issue maybe people who are on PUP and also working off the books. They'll hang on as long as possible till they're exposed and/or kicked off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Automation is coming regardless...

Look at you local supermarket, off peak about 50% staff compared to what there used to be of checkout staff due to the self service checkouts which generally have one or two people supervising.

Ryanair, online check in, they hit you for colossal baggage fees...weight AND staff costs are why, saving on check in staff plus ramp baggage handlers... you print boarding pass, baggage tags.

Premier inn, self service checkin, ibis, Hilton has too, more besides. Fućk all staff, to encourage you to use.

Gym I go to, only accept online payments since covid, no front of house staff, that won’t change long term post covid... they have a new and VERY user friendly website, pay your monthly fee, book classes, 100% online. You have email and password. They give a handful of online classes, videos too.

Courier companies ! Book a collection online, fill in paperwork/shipping docs online, three have already trialed fully automated vehicles..

business_robots_1198297148.jpg

Automation has arrived, it’s here to stay.. it will become more prevalent....

It’s also going to mean a lot less jobs.

Pre covid, i walk into my savings account bank, I’ve had an account here since I’m a teenager, 20 plus years, the same asshole try’s to stand in my way, literally blocking my access to the clerks, sticks her arm out and try’s to maneuver me to the machines, “ I can withdraw, deposit, yadda yadda...”.im told, about 5 times a year... My answer is always “ no thanks, I’d rather get some assistance over here”... she replies with only an insincere smartarse smile... she doesn’t do it any longer as I said a few times before I’m even contacted by her, and not joking and before she can utter a word.. “ ok STILL no “.... kept asking but got me on a bad day.... “for the 26543rd time, no thank you...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Furze99 wrote: »
    Dunno - once the PUP numbers start shrinking, it'll be easy enough to put a finish date on it. If I was on PUP and had a job offer to go back - I'd be thinking better to take it up sooner rather than waiting too long. Last in, first out etc.

The issue maybe people who are on PUP and also working off the books. They'll hang on as long as possible till they're exposed and/or kicked off.

Could also be a lot got stung in September and at Christmas where they came off PUP only to be back at the dole office 3 weeks later. Might be reluctant this time around

• Registered Users Posts: 7,536 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

We need a great reset ..

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

If I was on the PUP I wouldn't be keen to go back to work in non essential retail until I was vaccinated. Putting yourself at risk so some gob****e can buy tat in Penneys or whatever? fúck that.

I've worked a public facing role throughout the pandemic (public servant) and am unvaccinated and its stressful and a pain in the hole family wise when you inevitably have to restrict movements for 2 weeks and be tested multiple times due to a close contact from work, which I've had to do 3 times. But at least that was providing an essential service and not just so the ceo of a retail group gets a bigger bonus.

sabat wrote: »
    It's virtually impossible for an employer to match €350 for a part time worker.

A part time worker wouldn't be getting €350 anyway.

PUP has three rates, based on previous income. You'd only get €350 if you were making 300+ before the pandemic, I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

If all we've got are McJobs with added Covid risk, then it's past time for a Job Guarantee doing things like building houses, with whatever training is needed, and given a decent wage.

All the people who are so certain the unemployed are layabouts, are allergic to offering them actual decent jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,055 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Strumms wrote: »

I disagree.

It may mean different jobs.

There has never been as much automation as now.

And yet there are massive labour shortages.

We are crying out for all sorts of builders, skilled technicians, etc.

If you have a skill, you will never be idle.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,055 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Strumms wrote: »

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/unskilled-labour-shortage-potentially-harmful-to-economy-employers-say-1.4504745

https://www.cityam.com/us-job-growth-crashes-below-expectations-amid-labour-shortages/

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0413/1209630-meat-sector/

https://www.pharmaceutical-technology.com/comment/labour-shortage-us-slow-economic-recovery/

I welcome more and more automation, as it increases productivity and wages, great, bring it on.

It does not reduce employment, there are labour shortages all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Housefree

We have to start planning for a post work world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

If you are on the €350 PUP you already have a job. If your company is back up and running, you can't just stay on the PUP.

The dundrum shops would have had people on the PUP but many would have found other jobs during that time and the companies haven't been advertising replacements. You also can't just get a new job and go straight on PUP.

Advertisement