Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is the UK now a security threat?

• 08-05-2021 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

The UK media went into meltdown during the week over a peaceful protest by French fishing boats outside the port of St. Helier in Jersey.

https://imgur.com/a/XUkT0WW

The current UK government seems focused solely on domestic popularity so if the media whips up enough outrage, as they did over time about EU membership, is there a danger of them doing something stupid?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

You mean to say, is the UK a security threat again?

Unlike the Chinese, I expect their rockets to hit the target. Starting with Mullingar.

*Sarcasm mode disabled*

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

When has it not been a security threat?

Unlike the Chinese, I expect their rockets to hit the target. Starting with Mullingar.

*Sarcasm mode disabled*

No.

If you are talking about the space rocket then look at Musk. They often fail. I wouldn’t underestimate Chinese technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

Ramasun wrote: »

The current UK government seems focused solely on domestic popularity so if the media whips up enough outrage, as they did over time about EU membership, is there a danger of them doing something stupid?
    No.
    But carry on speculating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,400 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

The UK media went into meltdown during the week over a peaceful protest by French fishing boats outside the port of St. Helier in Jersey.

A threat to who?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Christ British tabloids and the Neanderthals who read them are such f'ing idiots

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,158 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

So? It's what the media do.

What did the military do? They sent 2 patrol vessels to monitor a protest outside a port and when it ended they withdrew them from the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

So? It's what the media do.

What did the military do? They sent 2 patrol vessels to monitor a protest outside a port and when it ended they withdrew them from the area.

Military 'observation' of civilian protests has a poor history, not least in the UK.

Sending in the gunboats has become a crowd pleaser and useful distraction tactic that you'd normally associate with places like Iran or North Korea.

The French also dispatched a warship so obviously they felt there was a security issue.

Military 'observation' of civilian protests has a poor history, not least in the UK.

Sending in the gunboats has become a crowd pleaser and useful distraction tactic that you'd normally associate with places like Iran or North Korea.

The French also dispatched a warship so obviously they felt there was a security issue.

What do you think we would do if it was an Irish port? Send our navy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,158 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

The French deployed 2 unarmed patrol vessels, reported to be Themis (Fishery protection) and Athos (Maritime Gendarmerie)

What do you think we would do if it was an Irish port? Send our navy

We'd probably licence some company to go out and clamp their anchors for being illegally parked. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Define ‘something stupid’ ?

The only thing they’ll be interested in is defending their nation and assets.

If they attack a fellow EU nation they attack the EU...

France have about 35-40% greater nuclear capability then the British.

Also... If they attack a country who is an ally or friend of the US as every EU country would be, with a any weapon and or military .... do you think Biden would stand back and schedule a phone call or just press the button ? Deal with the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Strumms wrote: »

This thread is stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Jersey wasn't this decade's Falklands thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I wouldn't fancy being in, say, a civil rights march observed by British military.

Strumms wrote: »

The only thing they’ll be interested in is defending their nation and assets.

If they attack a fellow EU nation they attack the EU...

France have about 35-40% greater nuclear capability then the British.

Also... If they attack a country who is an ally or friend of the US as every EU country would be, with a any weapon and or military .... do you think Biden would stand back and schedule a phone call or just press the button ? Deal with the problem.

A lot of what the UK has done in the last 5 years leading to this has been stupid or irrational. Michel Barnier has characterised their behaviour as the Madman strategy. That in itself is a security risk on your doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

A lot of what the UK has done in the last 5 years leading to this has been stupid or irrational. Michel Barnier has characterised their behaviour as the Madman strategy. That in itself is a security risk on your doorstep.

So , should we be digging trenches?

So , should we be digging trenches?

If relations with the EU deteriorate further and the UK refuses to apply the Irish Sea border controls we will have to check traffic on the NI border.

..probably with pillboxes rather than trenches.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,555 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

McGaggs wrote: »
    I wouldn't fancy being in, say, a civil rights march observed by British military.

I wouldn't fancy being in a Civil rights match observed by Chinese or Russian military. As bad as you think the British are they are not as bad as them two I just mentioned.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

AMKC wrote: »
    I wouldn't fancy being in a Civil rights match observed by Chinese or Russian military. As bad as you think the British are they are not as bad as them two I just mentioned.

I wouldn't fancy partaking in a Civil Rights march in 13th century Mongolia.

AMKC wrote: »

Yes, all three are bad.

I wouldn't fancy partaking in a Civil Rights march in 13th century Mongolia.

We could make a list of bad places and periods to protest in.

I’d agree 100% with Barnier. But the British have been stupid, mad even, as they’ve shot themselves in the head.

That doesn’t make them a security threat.

Through a democratic decision of their own design, wish and making, they’ve essentially almost annexed themselves, socially and economically...from their neighbors and friends....

Nobody else in Europe wanted that for them, they chose it for themselves..

They can’t be looking anywhere and pointing the finger of blame.

The EU certainly and the maybe the US would not sit back idly and see us invaded... if not just to protect our interests the likes of their own would be at risk...

If you are talking about the space rocket then look at Musk. They often fail. I wouldn’t underestimate Chinese technology.

It didn't fail. It was designed to fall to earth like that, there are 9 more to come

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭POBox19

The UK is a loose cannon now that they out of the EU and see themselves as Great England now. With the next UK general election due before May 2024 I wouldn't rule out the possibility of them having a bit of a fisticuffs beforehand to rouse the troops and whack johnny foreigner back into place so that Blojob can satisfy his Churchillian ego.

POBox19 wrote: »
    The UK is a loose cannon now that they out of the EU and see themselves as Great England now. With the next UK general election due before May 2024 I wouldn't rule out the possibility of them having a bit of a fisticuffs beforehand to rouse the troops and whack johnny foreigner back into place so that Blojob can satisfy his Churchillian ego.

Unlikely...

They are out of the EU.

What then if they get aggressive ? militarily aggressive ?

They’ll be turfed out by the UN.

Centuries old relationship with the US will be in tatters... not to be repaired.

Nobody will want to trade with them. An island nation with zero friends, no economy, everyone looking at them for signs of aggression.

No trust

Allies will be zero.

The Irish Navy might be small but we have a responsibility to control the waters around us and the EU.

If a similar event happened near our shores we'd have to have capability to respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

...The current UK government seems focused solely on domestic popularity so if the media whips up enough outrage, as they did over time about EU membership, is there a danger of them doing something stupid?

Hey OP, Kermit saw this long ago.

Why not join the thread ( https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057828882 ) ?

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭boetstark

Do you reckon it really was a peaceful protest

Advertisement