Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

House insulation

• 08-05-2021 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭

Just about to restore a bungalow. I realise that insulation and the house being fairly air tight is important. Lmecrete flooring has been advised as the best option. Plus an optima dry lining metal stud system sounds really efficient. Any ideas appreciated. TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭selfbuild17

The Optima drylining system is probably your best bet if external wall insulation is not feasible. The system will be wider than an equivalent insulated slab lining system however it is the best way to ensure that there is a functional vapour control layer which will reduce the risk of interstitial condensation and mould growth

In relation to the floors, are you intending on taking them all up? If so, your best option is probably to lay radon barrier, PIR insulation and a concrete slab. I’m not sure why you would just lay limecrete if you are replacing floors?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Biker1

Logo wrote: »
    Just about to restore a bungalow. I realise that insulation and the house being fairly air tight is important. Lmecrete flooring has been advised as the best option. Plus an optima dry lining metal stud system sounds really efficient. Any ideas appreciated. TIA

Without someone doing a detailed survey of the house and giving you the varying options based on your budget you will not know what is best for you.
    An SEAI registered technical assessor can offer this service.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,191 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

The Optima drylining system is probably your best bet if external wall insulation is not feasible. The system will be wider than an equivalent insulated slab lining system however it is the best way to ensure that there is a functional vapour control layer which will reduce the risk of interstitial condensation and mould growth

In relation to the floors, are you intending on taking them all up? If so, your best option is probably to lay radon barrier, PIR insulation and a concrete slab. I’m not sure why you would just lay limecrete if you are replacing floors?

Isover may be all fine and dandy on windowless, doorless walls, and if you look the brochure sfs about dealing with existing window and door reveals, which is where a lot of the action is for thermal bridging

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement