Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Commuting from Wicklow Town Area to Terenure/Rathgar Commute

• 04-05-2021 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi all,

Myself and my partner are thinking of purchasing a home towards Wicklow Town direction and we’re wondering if anybody does this commute on a daily basis and what their experience is of it. Time/duration etc.

Commuting by car would be out mode of transport.

We both need to be in work for 9am and finish between 4-6pm Mon-Fri.

Any info would be grateful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Those times are terrible as you will be in the thick of traffic.

At the moment we aren't anywhere back to normal and traffic can be quite bad, especially with the schools.

If you were to dart and Luas at those times would be much quicker imo, in normal times.
    Greystones dart of course....

With all the cycle poles, lanes made smaller or taken traffic is going to be an absolute nightmare and light sequence messed with too....

• Registered Users Posts: 29 RWNS

At the moment we aren't anywhere back to normal and traffic can be quite bad, especially with the schools.

If you were to dart and Luas at those times would be much quicker imo, in normal times.

With all the cycle poles, lanes made smaller or taken traffic is going to be an absolute nightmare and light sequence messed with too....

Thanks for the info, we both have colleagues who travel in from this direction or near to it and they have said it takes between 45-60mins. I’m just interested to see what others feeling are on it and if it’s sustainable.

We’d both be looking to leave between 6:30-7am in the mornings.

Thanks for the info, we both have colleagues who travel in from this direction or near to it and they have said it takes between 45-60mins. I’m just interested to see what others feeling are on it and if it’s sustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

RWNS wrote: »

Would your route be M50 and off at Tallaght? I would seriously consider trying to park somewhere just off the M50 at Tallaght and jumping on a bike. That bit will be the slowest part of your trip.
    Edit. Or an Escooter

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

for a 9am start? that sounds horrendous, tbf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Getting in for 9am is an awful commute. Shift to 7am or 10am start and you'll be a lot quicker getting in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,716 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

also the N11 could be about to get a lot worse depending on what form the proposed upgrade takes (leaving aside the massive amount of development going on along the N11 corridor that's going to fill up any upgrade almost as soon as it's built).

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Would your route be M50 and off at Tallaght? I would seriously consider trying to park somewhere just off the M50 at Tallaght and jumping on a bike. That bit will be the slowest part of your trip.
    Edit. Or an Escooter

Our commute would be by car via the N11/M11 and then take the Dundrum exit and make way to Rathgar.

Colleagues of mind do it at present and it takes them 45mins to 1hr. (Current Covid travel).

I’d be looking to leave in the morning at 6;30am so it shouldn’t be an issue my only concern is the duration of the commute if I t we’re to extend pass 1hr on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Our commute would be by car via the N11/M11 and then take the Dundrum exit and make way to Rathgar.

Colleagues of mind do it at present and it takes them 45mins to 1hr. (Current Covid travel).

I’d be looking to leave in the morning at 6;30am so it shouldn’t be an issue my only concern is the duration of the commute if I t we’re to extend pass 1hr on a regular basis.

I would imagine if it is taking that time now then realistically you could be looking at 2 hours on a bad day. I suppose nobody knows how traffic volumes are going to go when covid ends and things get back to normal.
    My own personal feeling is that a couple of years down the road we will get back to worse then ever commuting traffic as people return to offices and full time education. We will be looking back to 2020/21 and wondering why we didn't try and sustain home working, develop public transport and improve active travel when we had the chance
    Anecdotally I hear stories of people returning to offices and a lot of my neighbours who have been home working are preparing to return to their workplaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭dbas

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    I would imagine if it is taking that time now then realistically you could be looking at 2 hours on a bad day. I suppose nobody knows how traffic volumes are going to go when covid ends and things get back to normal.
    My own personal feeling is that a couple of years down the road we will get back to worse then ever commuting traffic as people return to offices and full time education. We will be looking back to 2020/21 and wondering why we didn't try and sustain home working, develop public transport and improve active travel when we had the chance
    Anecdotally I hear stories of people returning to offices and a lot of my neighbours who have been home working are preparing to return to their workplaces.

I commuted for years from wicklow town to Dublin 8 on a motorbike. The longest commute time for me was an hour and a half.
    I've heard of people taking 2.5 hours from the m50 to wicklow town on a bad day.

The traffic is bad, but wicklow town is a great place to live nonetheless.
    I know people who drive to Carrickmines luas from wicklow and get luas from there to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Taking the Luas from Carrickmines to Ranelagh and walking to Rathmines would be grand. Having to go on to Terenure would be a bit of a pain.

Trying to cut in at Tallaght or Firhouse from the M50 at that time puts you though some awful bottlenecks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Get in the car with them.
    People always say their commute is shorter than it is.
    I once worked with a guy who commuted from Dunshaughlin to Harcourt street.
    He used to tell us his commute was 20 minutes.
    Another guy working there moved to Dunshaughlin and for the first week got a lift off this guy and suddenly the commute way closer to 1.5 to 2 hours.

Back to your original question though.

A couple of years ago I used to go down to Wicklow town after work some evenings because I was doing some work on the side for a company down there. From getting on the M50 at templeogue exit to getting to the office in Wicklow town would take anything from 1.5 hours to 2 hours. If I left any later than that there was no point going. Its a crawl all the way down after that time.

Dont know what it would be like coming inwards at 7:00am though.

But my bet is that you will be in the car a minimum of 3 hours plus every day. And thats without any incidents on the M50 or M11.
    And dont forget if either of ever changes jobs to anywhere further you will be adding on a massive amount of time to your commute then again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Wicklow Town to Tallaght on a good day with little traffic takes an hour, throw in rush hour and you'd be insane to want to sit in it. Starting at 9am means up at half 5 and out the door half 6 to be in for half 8 and you've already wasted nearly 4 hours of the day.

Move somewhere where your commute becomes shorter... Its amazing how much of a difference it makes to life.

Although... You seem like you trust your colleagues opinion so go for it and report back in 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Declan1965

Let me give you a little advice, I have spent the past 10 years of my life commuting from south kildare to Dublin airport spending average 1.5 hours each way every day before the pandemic.
    It takes its toll on you physically and mentally and long distances are not sustainable over time.
    If you can work from home even 2 days per week then it would be far better to do so.
    Having a job in Dublin for high salary and big house 1 hour away seems tempting but it will over time reduce your quality of life , for me the past 10 years have been work ,eat sleep repeat. Absolutely no quality of life ,no social life and feeling exhausted on my days off.

Declan1965 wrote: »
    Let me give you a little advice, I have spent the past 10 years of my life commuting from south kildare to Dublin airport spending average 1.5 hours each way every day before the pandemic.
    It takes its toll on you physically and mentally and long distances are not sustainable over time.
    If you can work from home even 2 days per week then it would be far better to do so.
    Having a job in Dublin for high salary and big house 1 hour away seems tempting but it will over time reduce your quality of life , for me the past 10 years have been work ,eat sleep repeat. Absolutely no quality of life ,no social life and feeling exhausted on my days off.

And if you ever have to move job, either because your employer shuts down, lets you go or you get sick of the job, you might find you have further to travel to get paid the same.

I know a few people who did this in the last few years. All have regretted it.
    And its so much harder to move from the country to Dublin when you look at the house price difference.

One couple moved to Wicklow in 2015 and commuted to Lucan for work.
    She got laid off and ended up getting a job in Wexford. All of a sudden from commuting together they now had two separate commutes and only ever passed each other in the morning and the evening.

Just think long and hard before you make a jump that is hard to reverse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,961 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Use google maps to estimate the time it will give you a good idea.

Factor in extra fuel, wear and tear on the car servicing and time is it worth it.

I get the housing crisis but moving further out isn't always the answer. Look at what you and could you get a job in Wicklow even for less money or could you move to another town to work and live in?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

You’re looking at 90 minutes each way normally I’d say that’s 3 hours a day in the car. It’s a lot and if you have kids it complicates care for them.

Use google maps to estimate the time it will give you a good idea.

Factor in extra fuel, wear and tear on the car servicing and time is it worth it.

I get the housing crisis but moving further out isn't always the answer. Look at what you and could you get a job in Wicklow even for less money or could you move to another town to work and live in?

I always find its best to add 20 mins on to what google says a commute will take. And thats assuming there are no accidents or spills on the roads, which is often. At least once or twice a week.
    And even that 20 min buffer usually isnt enough.

Advertisement