Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Two of the same club?

• 07-05-2021 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

For the last few years I have carried a 5 hybrid along with my 5 iron. I just find having the hybrid the bag is useful for some shots where the rough is particularly dense. The rough can be fairly unforgiving in parts at my club and I just find the hybrid gets through it easier.

Anyway I never though much of it until my playing partner on Sunday commented on it and he thought it was quite odd. Now i'm over thinking it maybe but does anyone else double up on theirs clubs? I know some pro's are know to carry 2 drivers but that is for different reasons obviously.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

I have 2 x 3 woods in my bag. An old one (Hippo) I use in the rough and a Taylor Made one with a smaller head that I use from the fairway.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,478 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I carry a left-handed 5 iron as well as my usual right-handed clubs.
    I find it helps with awkward shots close to trees etc. I practice with it a fair bit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I have 2 x 3 woods in my bag. An old one (Hippo) I use in the rough and a Taylor Made one with a smaller head that I use from the fairway.

Ya I've a 3 wood and my 3 hybrid but I struggle in the heavy rough with both of them so if you find a club that does the trick life is easier. My 5H has gotten me out of many a tricky spot...ha

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

I would not say a 5H is the same as a 5i.
    I carry both of them too! This is because I can't hit any iron past about 7 tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Currently I have a 58 degree callaway sure out wedge and a 58 degree Cleveland cbx wedge, sure out is lethal from greenside bunkers and cbx is my go to for pitches.
    Probably will have to choose one or the other soon enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

definitely wouldn't class them as the same.

for what its worth tho I am often tempted at packing two putters, one I have is great for lagging but crap at short distances while the other is the opposite. But as someone, I think here suggested, maybe just go spend some money on lessons

willabur wrote: »
    definitely wouldn't class them as the same.

for what its worth tho I am often tempted at packing two putters, one I have is great for lagging but crap at short distances while the other is the opposite. But as someone, I think here suggested, maybe just go spend some money on lessons

Yes I never really did class them as the same until it was pointed out to me as been odd at the weekend....maybe i'm just overthinking it! Oh good putters, I've only one in the bag but think I have 5 more in the shed at my last count :eek::eek::eek:

Snotty wrote: »
    Currently I have a 58 degree callaway sure out wedge and a 58 degree Cleveland cbx wedge, sure out is lethal from greenside bunkers and cbx is my go to for pitches.
    Probably will have to choose one or the other soon enough.

Have the 54 and 50deg cbx's wedges myself. Great clubs!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

I carry 2 putters, a slightly heavier one for off the green putting and a on green putter, neither of them work 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

I used to carry 2 putters sometimes to help with my putting woes.

But right now I'm carrying 5 wedges, the new one being a 60degree xlow bounce that I got for messing around with but seem to be able to use it well for tricky shots around the green. The 58wedge and the 60 wedge are almost idential loft same cleveland brand. Look identical etc.
    I also carry a 2iron so probably a strange setup, In that the irons go from 2iron (then big gap) then 5 iron 6,7.. to pw, 50, 54, 58, 60xlow.

I don't have a hybrid and the 2 iron though good off the tee is hard to hit off the fairway so I try not to leave myself in the 200metre range.

• Advertisement

RoadRunner wrote: »
    I used to carry 2 putters sometimes to help with my putting woes.

But right now I'm carrying 5 wedges, the new one being a 60degree xlow bounce that I got for messing around with but seem to be able to use it well for tricky shots around the green. The 58wedge and the 60 wedge are almost idential loft same cleveland brand. Look identical etc.
    I also carry a 2iron so probably a strange setup, In that the irons go from 2iron (then big gap) then 5 iron 6,7.. to pw, 50, 54, 58, 60xlow.

I don't have a hybrid and the 2 iron though good off the tee is hard to hit off the fairway so I try not to leave myself in the 200metre range.

That is an interesting set up alright. I tried playing with a 2 iron in my younger days as my dad used to carry a 2 iron but I could never hit it. (admittedly my dad played of scratch at one stage in his life and was 10x the golfer I am so maybe that's why I struggled...ha)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

That is an interesting set up alright. I tried playing with a 2 iron in my younger days as my dad used to carry a 2 iron but I could never hit it. (admittedly my dad played of scratch at one stage in his life and was 10x the golfer I am so maybe that's why I struggled...ha)

:D

People think your a ball striker if they see a 2iron. Worth considering putting one in the bag but never actually hitting it and then no one will find out the truth. I'd say also it's fairly easy to grind off the base of a regular 5 iron and an engrave a "1" or "2" there instead. :D

Mine is lovely chrome mizuno. Real shiny. Shiny in on the back and in the base of the club too. Sits great in the bag and mine has it's uses, despite being extremely easy to duff off the tee with high risk of looking stupid. or being no good for playing over water or other forced carries, or use out of rough (even light stuff), or on a downhill lie, or being equally useless for situations where you even just need good distance control. Terrible for where you're approaching bunkered greens also. In reality how often does one of those situations occour though?

RoadRunner wrote: »
    :D

People think your a ball striker if they see a 2iron. Worth considering putting one in the bag but never actually hitting it and then no one will find out the truth. I'd say also it's fairly easy to grind off the base of a regular 5 iron and an engrave a "1" or "2" there instead. :D

Mine is lovely chrome mizuno. Real shiny. Shiny in on the back and in the base of the club too. Sits great in the bag and mine has it's uses, despite being extremely easy to duff off the tee with high risk of looking stupid. or being no good for playing over water or other forced carries, or use out of rough (even light stuff), or on a downhill lie, or being equally useless for situations where you even just need good distance control. Terrible for where you're approaching bunkered greens also. In reality how often does one of those situations occour though?

Like your idea with the engraving, I might even do that if it means that it will stop my playing partners asking me questions about my club set up... :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

For the last few years I have carried a 5 hybrid along with my 5 iron. I just find having the hybrid the bag is useful for some shots where the rough is particularly dense. The rough can be fairly unforgiving in parts at my club and I just find the hybrid gets through it easier.

Anyway I never though much of it until my playing partner on Sunday commented on it and he thought it was quite odd. Now i'm over thinking it maybe but does anyone else double up on theirs clubs? I know some pro's are know to carry 2 drivers but that is for different reasons obviously.

I've a 5i and 5h in the bag for more or less the exact same reason you do. As others have said they're not the same club. My 5i is 23d where as the 5h is 25 which is great for getting out of rough as you say. I'd check the lofts of what you have and I'd say you'll find something similar.

On the same topic, I find hybrid lofts a bit all over the place but I think that's largely due to the strong loft of modern irons. I've a 4H which you would expect to be a 4i equivalent but my 4i is 20d while the hybrid is 22d. I've 3H which is 19d as well so you sort of need to pay attention to your lofts IMO or you end up thinking a club is a replacement for an iron when its not really. I'd rarely carry the 3 hybrids but find they have their uses depending on the scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭coillcam

My 5h and 5i are two completely different animals. The hybrid is 10-15 yards longer, has a much higher flight, and stops pretty quickly. The 5 iron tends to roll out and is much more useful for me facing into wind or punching out of trouble. Out of the rough there is no comparison. The hybrid repeatedly performs miracles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Bought a 2nd 5i myself as a bit of an experiment. Found my 5 & 6 distances in my set were a but compressed.

Bought a Calloway Mavrik 5i off the calloway preowned site.

So I have 2 5i but dont have both in the bag

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Quite ironic that this topic has popped up actually.

I had a set of Taylormade MC irons from 2011 which i done all my chipping from around the greens with the PW.

Got fitted for a new set of Mizuno's there last month and since getting them i just can't get to grips with the new PW around the greens.

So both the new and old PW are in the bag and i've ditched a 54 degree which might have been used once every 3/4 rounds. Still have a 58 in the bag for bunkers!

Advertisement