Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with circa 11 acres

• 07-05-2021 8:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm not a farmer, but I have roughly 11acres of land that I would like to use for other purposes rather than leasing it to a farmer for grazing. Half the land is dry but the other half is wet/boggy for a lot of the year.

I'm thinking of forestry but not sure what type in regards best return? It will be more than likely be the benefit of the kids and not myself so not looking for a quick return (but that would be nice too).

Anyone know which types of trees would be suitable for that area of land in that condition - I think the bottom part would dry out if the drains were cleared. Are there any other options out there rather than forestry? What kind of initial layout is involved to avail of any grants, etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Radiotower wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm not a farmer, but I have roughly 11acres of land that I would like to use for other purposes rather than leasing it to a farmer for grazing. Half the land is dry but the other half is wet/boggy for a lot of the year.

I'm thinking of forestry but not sure what type in regards best return? It will be more than likely be the benefit of the kids and not myself so not looking for a quick return (but that would be nice too).

Anyone know which types of trees would be suitable for that area of land in that condition - I think the bottom part would dry out if the drains were cleared. Are there any other options out there rather than forestry? What kind of initial layout is involved to avail of any grants, etc.

Sounds like the wet bit needs some drainage work
    Before you plant do your homework, there’s lots of agencies that deal in forestry and will be able to advise
    I think the grants are up to 15 years for farmers and less for those without farmer status, then clearfell around year 35 with replanting to take place
    Another option is to sell and use the money to pay off your mortgage / pay for 3rd level education for your children

Hi,

If you visit the NOTS.ie website, they held an online agroforestry conference recently that might give you some ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Why not just rent it out on a lease? Basically tax free income.

Unless it is bad ground I wouldn't be putting trees on it if your goal is to maximize return or value over time. Not on 11 acres. Unless if you want it as a hobby/interest and are going to learn and do all the maintenance on it yourself. The forestry lads on here would be a better source on info, but my understanding is that for a block that size, if you are going to be paying a contractor to do those things then you won't be getting much of an income out of it until you clearfell other than the grants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭older by the day

You should think before setting trees on your land. It may make a suitable site for you or your family in years to come. Who knows growing veg for a country market, or renting out plots for allotments might interest you or your children

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Might sound like a hippie suggestion but would you consider rewinding a portion of it, maybe just the bit that might be costly to make productive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

TheChizler wrote: »
    Might sound like a hippie suggestion but would you consider rewinding a portion of it, maybe just the bit that might be costly to make productive?

What exactly will this do, or what is your aim in suggesting this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

What exactly will this do, or what is your aim in suggesting this?
    Rewilding to allow plants, bees and other animals back.

Rewilding to allow plants, bees and other animals back.

Oh, I know - the suggestion was to rewild the wet, less productive bit...

I’m not an expert on rewilding by any means... But I think people assume that if you close the gate and leave a field then nature will bring back all kinds or plants and animals. And this may be true eventually...
    But if you close the gate on a wet piece of land with rushes, I suspect all you will have for a long, long time is rushes...

You might need to help it along, and you’re into some sort of forestry and maybe some animals then...

Also, I don’t know if rewilding would work on a small acreage?
    By all means leave margins and strips for biodiversity, put in plants and trees that help wildlife along. But this is more farming along with nature than rewilding...

The idea is noble though, whatever label you want to put on it I guess... In my opinion it would still require some work...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I'm far from an expert maybe it's not practical, could be a nice hobby helping it along. Knowing nothing about the OP, maybe they would enjoy it.

TheChizler wrote: »
    I'm far from an expert maybe it's not practical, could be a nice hobby helping it along. Knowing nothing about the OP, maybe they would enjoy it.

Oh, I agree with you, it could be super rewarding - but really you could class this as a form of farming. With the end goal of rearing critters instead of calves, and growing trees instead of turnips...

But I got the impression the OP wants a passive option, which I am not sure this is...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Radiotower

Thanks everyone for the replies. I've seen forestry that has been cleared and the land is in a bad state after it so I don't like the idea of it. I think the first job is to clear the drains and see how dry the land gets. I do like the idea of rewilding or if i got it in some decent shape to grow it as a meadow and cut it yearly to sell bales...

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Thanks everyone for the replies. I've seen forestry that has been cleared and the land is in a bad state after it so I don't like the idea of it. I think the first job is to clear the drains and see how dry the land gets. I do like the idea of rewilding or if i got it in some decent shape to grow it as a meadow and cut it yearly to sell bales...

Just a heads up on the bales lad. And any poster on this forum will probably agree.
    YOU WILL BUY BALES CHEAPER THAN YOU CAN MAKE THEM!
    Best of luck with it anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 MeadowMaker

Edit

• Registered Users Posts: 6,436 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Sacrolyte wrote: »
    Just a heads up on the bales lad. And any poster on this forum will probably agree.

Did bales on 4 acres a few years ago. Between fertiliser and cutting etc I broke even on exchanging it for a nice bullock for the freezer.
    I've rented it out since and he looks after all the costs and pays me. A much better deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Sacrolyte wrote: »

They’re not called lucky bags for no reason though. Wrap covers allot of rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭minerleague

Assume what you saw was forestry that was all cut at the one time, this can look brutal alright. Continuous Cover Forestry is different and might suit you better where you grow different species ( fast growing + slow ) and continually remove small amounts and either plant new trees or allow trees to seed themselves ( If you go forestry route )

Advertisement