Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Electric Bike Recommendations

Options
  • 06-05-2021 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Wouldnt even know where to start when looking for an electric bike, any recommendations? Its just for leisurely cycles (prob round trip 30km), wouldnt be going off a beaten track or anything (around Dublin).

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

What's your budget?

Been thinking about getting an electric bike too, OP. From the little bit of online research I have done, Halford's seem to have the best prices. Can't vouch for how good the bikes are though. They seem to range from about 799 all the way up to 3.5K in price.

What is your maximum budget?

Based on what you said in your post. This seems like it would be a good fit for your needs presuming you don't mind buying from online without having a chance to view the bike beforehand in person.

https://radpowerbikes.eu/products/radmission-electric-metro-bike?variant=32612898799709

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭mel123

Sorry all. My max budget is €1500 as I will avail of the cycle to work scheme. Obviously the lower the better.

Is there anything I should look out for when buying? I guess the time the battery gives you, anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Cheaper bikes will have front wheel or rear-wheel drive, with bikes that are generally considered the best having mid-drive. I'd avoid front wheel drive as the motor is under greater strain without gearing. Rear wheel drive is better but mid-drive means the motor benefits most from the gearing. Mid-drive would be the most expensive and probably outside your price range

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

mel123 wrote: »
    Sorry all. My max budget is €1500 as I will avail of the cycle to work scheme. Obviously the lower the better.

Is there anything I should look out for when buying? I guess the time the battery gives you, anything else?

You probably know this already, but you can top up the €1500 yourself if you want to go a bit higher end.

Advertisement