Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Integrated fridge or free-standing fridge

Options
  • 04-05-2021 10:24am

Hi All.

My wife and I are designing our kitchen for our new home. We have received some neat designs from various kitchen design outlets. All these outlets integrate the fridge into a cabinet as part of their design.

What is your opinion on integrated fridges versus free-standing fridges?

I know some newer fridges come with self-defrosting features, but how good is this compared to the old drag the fridge (+ freezer) outside and let it naturally melt the ice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Panrich

Hi All.

My wife and I are designing our kitchen for our new home. We have received some neat designs from various kitchen design outlets. All these outlets integrate the fridge into a cabinet as part of their design.

What is your opinion on integrated fridges versus free-standing fridges?

I know some newer fridges come with self-defrosting features, but how good is this compared to the old drag the fridge (+ freezer) outside and let it naturally melt the ice?

One thing to bear in mind with integrated fridges is that you will have less capacity and will not be able to choose the American style double door fridges that have become popular.

We have integrated and found that to be a very limiting factor in which fridge we could get. Some that we liked were too tall for the space etc. We have a 70:30 split for our space so that also is a constraint.

I found that the equivalent free standing version of our integrated fridge to be slightly cheaper as well. I’m not sure about defrosting but we haven’t had any issues so far. There’s been no buildup in the first year of operation although we did have several episodes of frost build up on our previous model.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

The more modern looking kitchens definitely have the built-in for the clean look. You can get tall large capacity built in fridges.

If you're really concerned about space just get a second fridge and put it in the pantry or utility for the not used as often stuff. I've worked on large houses where two dishwashers are common and you don't 'unload' the dishwasher. A small freezer in the kitchen with another larger one in the shed or utility is also common.

Do you need a second dishwasher / fridge / freezer? No. Do you need a 'his & her' sink in an ensuite? No but two sinks is also getting more common. A lot of kitchens also have two ovens. Once upon a time a shower was fitted above a bath. Now they're always separate. A second cheaper €300-€400 fridge won't break the bank either in a large kitchen refurb or new build project.

I'm referring to new houses 200 sqm and above. Obviously if it's a 60 sqm house or flat in Dublin space is an issue and the above doesn't apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭forestgirl

I put in the integrated fridge but if I ever (probably not)change my kitchen I would go stand alone because integrated ones are smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ec_pc

We went for integrated as it looks better in the kitchen and it means there are no unsightly gaps around the edges of the fridge. No dirt / dust etc either. We went for a tall larder style fridge and it is massive, perhaps 7 shelves I think.

It really comes down to space and practicality. We put a half height freezer in the kitchen too for convenience, but have a larger freezer in the utility.

Thanks all for the comments.

Seems many people here have new kitchens.

I wonder if anyone has had an integrated fridge over many years and how was the experience.

I'm really floating towards stand-alone, as I like being able to strip something out when needed and put it back to its original space with ease. Things do break, technical problems do occur, and sometime one needs to upgrade a model (more kids, etc.). An integrated space sounds very restrictive.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

We've had integrated in our last 2 places but if we ever change our kitchen again I am 100% going for one of the American style double size ones.

Mainly because the freezer space in integrated ones is very small.

In reality the overall size of an integrated fridge / freezer is not going to be any smaller that a free standing one, certainly in terms of width / depth, but perhaps height depending on your kitchen design.

We had a 50/50 integrated fridge freezer in our last house from new and it was perfect. In later years we also put another integrated one into utility. Left both when moving. I honestly didn't find them restrictive, we didn't have to move the original one in the kitchen once in 16 years.

For a standard size fridge I think you'd be mad not to consider integrated. Obviously its different if you are getting an American style fridge or other non standard type

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

ec_pc wrote: »
    In reality the overall size of an integrated fridge / freezer is not going to be any smaller that a free standing one, certainly in terms of width / depth, but perhaps height depending on your kitchen design.

We had a 50/50 integrated fridge freezer in our last house from new and it was perfect. In later years we also put another integrated one into utility. Left both when moving. I honestly didn't find them restrictive, we didn't have to move the original one in the kitchen once in 16 years.

For a standard size fridge I think you'd be mad not to consider integrated. Obviously its different if you are getting an American style fridge or other non standard type

You say it was perfect but that you then needed another one? Needing two fridges is not a perfect scenario . A single American style and you would only need one fridge/freezer for a family of 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

You do lose some space with the integrated ones but they look so much better, in my opinion. I wish I had integrated but needed a large fridge freezer in the kitchen for now. If I could have managed it I would have got an integrated larder fridge and had a freezer in another space (utility, under the stairs cupboard etc.) but we just didn't have anywhere to put the freezer.

For what it's worth, my parents got an integrated fridge in the late 1990s/early 2000s and so did my aunt and uncle. Both houses sold on now but there were never any problems that I'm aware of. My sister bought a house with one that's probably about 10 years old and it's fine functionally.

I think the ideal would be to get an integrated larder fridge and an integrated larder freezer. As much space as one of the american fridge freezers but better looking. That's what I hope to do whenever we get around to a full extension/kitchen remodel.

Agreed, but I think a standard width /depth integrated fridge / freezer will be no larger than a free standing model. Only variance could be height

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

We have a full length integrated fridge beside a full length integrated freezer. It's perfect. Looks great and plenty of space. The fridge jutting out 15cm beyond the rest of the units for me was the deal breaker!

Advertisement