Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Giro d'Italia 2021

Options
  • 06-05-2021 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭

giro-d-italia-2021-map-c1d0e3455c.png

The Giro starts on Saturday with a lesser spotted prologue in Torino. Lots of points of interest in this year's race with the return of both Evenepoel & Groenewegen (who have been long term absent for slightly different reasons), Simon Yates looking really strong and talking a good game, Bernal sounding far less certain despite being favourite and Dan Martin going in as clear leader of ISN although not fancied by the bookies.
    Then can Joao Almeida repeat last year's breakthrough performance? No spinter for DQS this year, showing how serious they are about Almeida and possibly Evenopoel. We'll also see whether Ganna can return to his incredible form of 2020

GCN preview here

Odds from PP:
    Egan Bernal 9/4
    Simon Yates 7/2
    Remco Evenepoel 7/2
    Emanuel Buchmann 10/1
    Alexander Vlasov 13/1
    Mikel Landa 14/1
    Hugh Carthy 16/1
    Pavel Sivakov 18/1
    Joao Almeida 22/1
    Dan Martin 50/1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Evanepoel 3rd favourite at 7/2 is crazy odds.

Last years runner-up Hindley not even listed, team DSM actually have a very strong team with Bardet as backup.
    2 dark horses.

Odd race for Evenepoel's comeback after 8 months out after that crash.

Israel will have a new Jersey for the race and I quite like it, EF will also have a new one but can't see them beating last years one.

GMxgfyK7Zn6iFxFTvaz5iV-970-80.jpg.webp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Israel will have a new Jersey for the race and I quite like it, EF will also have a new one but can't see them beating last years one.

That ISN one is pretty nice tbf.

EF certainly have a lot to live up to and they're pushing the marketing around it too - "EF Education-Nippo set to unveil new kit that will 'give everyone a warm fuzzy feeling'"
    Team manager Jonathan Vaughters was unwilling to give too much away when talking to Cyclingnews late on Tuesday but the former rider did disclose that the trademark EF pink would be replaced by an even more colourful design.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,867 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

retalivity wrote: »
    Evanepoel 3rd favourite at 7/2 is crazy odds.
    Last years runner-up Hindley not even listed, team DSM actually have a very strong team with Bardet as backup.
    2 dark horses.

Nico Roche is down to ride support for DSM, am hoping we'll get a tour diary.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Is there a Velogames league? If not I'll create one.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Brian? wrote: »
    Is there a Velogames league? If not I'll create one.

A velogames league would be good. If you have a couple of hours free then the Lanterne Rouge preview is pretty good:-

They also have a velogames league going with some cycling gear going as a prize. As to the Giro if Bernal is not up to it then it looks pretty wide open. Yates seems to be the form man, Almdeida probably doesn't have the climbing chops for some of the more difficult climbs, Remco has never done 3 weeks. All in all looking forward to finding out who it will be. Could be a surprise. Love to see Nico grab a stage.

EF jersey has been launched, it's certainly toned down a bit from last year!

Not embedding because picture is huge!
    https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ef-education-nippo-goes-kaleidoscopic-with-giro-ditalia-switch-out-kit/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,349 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Those 2 kits are way more interesting than anything that has been seen in the peleton so far this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Did I see Dunbar listed in the Ineos squad? Or am I making that up?

Hopefully circumstances allow Nico (and especially Dunbar if he's in) to have a crack at a stage or two.

Paddigol wrote: »
    Did I see Dunbar listed in the Ineos squad? Or am I making that up?

Hopefully circumstances allow Nico (and especially Dunbar if he's in) to have a crack at a stage or two.

Making it up unfortunately. He was on the long list but didn't make the final squad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

League created

League Name: 2021 Jambalaya Ethusiasts
    League Code: 432125525

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Nice one. I'm in

Im in but new to this so not sure how good my team is

It's hard for GC putting a team together here. Bernal has been better this year but is he over those back issues? He's looked decent enough so far this year but I'm not sure if he's got a Giro win in him just yet, and if not him then it's a bit of a crystal ball call.

I'm not sure George Bennet is in his best shape for JV either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

If the Giro was two weeks long, I think Evenepoel would be a comfortable winner even if he was only 90% fit. I just don't know how he'll get on in week three after nine months without racing and it being his first grand tour.

This lad is going to frighten people with his ability over the next few years.

The problem for Evenpoel is he's with quickstep is what I'd normally say in dismissing his hopes of a grand tour win but if he was coming in here with racing in his legs and the team they have starting I'd have actually given him a reasonable chance at it.

Masnada is a problem for me based on what I saw of him last year, very slow to help Almeida at times and worried more about his own GC position I thought and I loved seeing Masnada do well in 2019 but I don't think he's the support they need him to be.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Worth keeping an eye on your velogames team. I had picked Will Barta but he is not a starter apparently. I assume he was at some point since he was available to pick but definitely not now.

Things might get even spicier for Groenewegen in the peloton after these comments from Jakobsen.

Fabio Jakobsen: Dylan Groenewegen has not offered a personal apology since Pologne crash
    https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/fabio-jakobsen-dylan-groenewegen-has-not-offered-a-personal-apology/

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Does anyone know if there is a hardcopy Official Guide for this on the shelves this year? The Garibaldi Road book is freely available online but I like the hard copy each year also. Can't see it online but it may be in magazine section in larger bokkshops etc.
    Looking forward to some great racing, my favourite Grand Tour :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

EF jersey has been launched, it's certainly toned down a bit from last year!

Not embedding because picture is huge!
    https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ef-education-nippo-goes-kaleidoscopic-with-giro-ditalia-switch-out-kit/

Well that's some of the nicest kit ever.
    Less black and its it'd be a winner!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

hour long highlights on quest on fta satellite daily at 7pm

If memory serves Quest can be accessed via the dplay app or what ever it's called these days and on their site without geo restriction.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Think I'll be booking Monday May 24th off work - 3 climbs over 2000m right before a rest day

stage-16-profile.jpg

Brian? wrote: »
    League created

League Name: 2021 Jambalaya Ethusiasts
    League Code: 432125525

Just giving this a bump to remind folks to get their team in before entry closes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'm in. I think I went from first or second to worst last year. 2019 with my fantasy sports zenith. Won my football and basketball leagues and possibly the giro, though think I can second

Is there any day to day management to be done in velogames ?

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Is there any day to day management to be done in velogames ?

No none.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Trekky77

Not very exciting predictions!

GC - Yates
    Outsider - Almeida

Mountains - Formolo

Sprint Classification - Sagan
    Outsider- Merlier

Young rider - Almeida

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,867 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Nico tour diary is up... its behind the Indo premium paywall but you can signup to read 3 free articles a month

He will be riding support for Bardet and Hindley with DSM. Should have fair chance of a podium.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/cycling/nicholas-roches-giro-ditalia-diary-a-couple-of-years-ago-i-would-have-been-panicking-now-40400080.html

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement