Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Darina Allen objects to piggery

• 06-05-2021 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭

Chef Darina Allen has joined a campaign to block the development of an industrial-scale piggery with capacity for almost 4,300 animals in east Cork.

The Ballymaloe Cookery School owner claims the development would ‘unquestionably’ harm her business as well as potentially contaminating Ballymaloe’s own spring water well.

In her complaint, Allen said: ‘The pervasive odour from the slurry is also of major concern and has the potential to devastate the integrity and reputation of our [Ballymaloe’s] Sustainable Food Project.’

You'd think they'd be trying to keep a low profile. There are worst things to have in your locality than a piggery. The thing they don't mention obviously didn't "unquestionably" harm her business.

https://evoke.ie/2021/05/06/extra/darina-allen-kicks-up-stink-over-plans-for-huge-pigsty-project

Comments

There are worst things to have in your locality than a piggery.
    I can't think of many.

There are lots of reasons to raise the eyebrows at the Allens. I'm sure we'd all object to a pig farm near us. The smell is indescribably, gag-inducingly rancid.

Edit: 12km away, so not really close-by. Still a filthy, cruel method of industrial farming, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭Treppen

You'd think they'd be trying to keep a low profile. There are worst things to have in your locality than a piggery. The thing they don't mention obviously didn't "unquestionably" harm her business.

https://evoke.ie/2021/05/06/extra/darina-allen-kicks-up-stink-over-plans-for-huge-pigsty-project

Totally right, can't have a piggery beside a cooking school. No shortage of bacon in the shops, do we need more?

But aside their legitimate objections.... carry on with the monthly Allen bashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I can't think of anything worse to have near me, disgusting what goes on in those places

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I misread the title as Buggery and thought we were going to have a very interesting thread

• Registered Users Posts: 14,223 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Depends on how far away. Who the fúck would not object to that being beside them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

12km away according to the report. Shouldn't be an issue at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

That’s only because they keep catching her grandson with drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,223 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Ah here, crazy objecting to that. 12km away she can fúck right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Take enough of what her grandson has and she won't have to worry about the smell, ever.
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

We used to live close to a piggery & the smell was foul when they were cleaning out the sheds. But it was 2Km as the crow flies. 12Km should be fine - as you say, no issue at all!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

She's worried one of her lads will have a go on one of the pigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

NIMBY but sure, no one would want that close.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

A piggery is a disgraceful way to farm pigs. They should be totally banned. Absolute cruelty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

I'd be more concerned with a convicted paedophile in the family than a piggery 12km away but that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

Yes ..unfortunately it's a bit more in size than a pig farm..absolutely huge operation with slurry being spread over a large pre agreed area..but nobody living near any of the designated spreading areas were consulted..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭Allinall

I'd be more concerned with a convicted paedophile in the family than a piggery 12km away but that's just me.

Can you not multi-task?

I'm sure Darina Allen can.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Turbohymac wrote: »
    Yes ..unfortunately it's a bit more in size than a pig farm..absolutely huge operation with slurry being spread over a large pre agreed area..but nobody living near any of the designated spreading areas were consulted..

The farmers will be spreading slurry on the land regardless of where it comes from. Dairy slurry/milk waste wouldn't be much different from pig slurry, both stink. Living in the country you have to put up with smells.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I can't think of many.
    h.

A rubbish tip?

Darins should be promoting vegetarian cooking if she objects to this

As someone with an interest in these things I have read countless tales of absolute horror from these places, here's a one recently in the news where pigs were being hammered to death at a "high welfare" piggery in the UK, Tesco have dropped them as suppliers.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/pigs-farm-animal-cruelty-scotland-b1840471.html

Free range pork isn't much of a thing here but I wish people would reconsider buying meat from these places, they are horrific places and the pigs never see the light of day.
    We already export 65,000 tonnes of pig meat a year, why do we need to be producing more given the cruelty and environmental damage involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

Hi della 2005.. I'm living in the countryside all my life..but theres a big difference between cattle slurry compared to pig slurry..also much less cattle slurry being spread compared to this factory operation. With artic 6000gallon old milk tankers being used to transport the slurry..
    Also compared to cattle or dairy farms this will be a year round constant event
    At least cattle are usually in from November to April only..
    So much less per animal needing to be stored and spread

• Advertisement

I worked in a slaughter house in the US in my youth.The means we had at the time to kill pigs/cattle/sheep was with a bolt gun.Later on it was the electrodes.Neither is humane and in the morning as soon as you killed the first one,the rest would panic in the chutes.One of the worst experiences of my life.

I don't know the practices here but can't imagine it is much different.On a side note,pigs are smarter than dogs and are lovely companions.Sure they make a stink and dig up the place but alot of their personality make up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

How farming associations and the Green Party can allow these things to be built are beyond me. They are a disgrace.

Turbohymac wrote: »
    Hi della 2005.. I'm living in the countryside all my life..but theres a big difference between cattle slurry compared to pig slurry..
    I think they're referring to milk effluent/sludge, which is spread on the land as well as your ordinary (relatively fragrant) cattle slurry.

Milk waste absolutely reeks.
    TXinLK wrote: »
    I worked in a slaughter house in the US in my youth.The means we had at the time to kill pigs/cattle/sheep was with a bolt gun.Later on it was the electrodes.Neither is humane and in the morning as soon as you killed the first one,the rest would panic in the chutes.One of the worst experiences of my life.

I don't know the practices here but can't imagine it is much
    different
    The method for killing pigs here is a carbon dioxide bath. They just fall asleep and are then killed by cutting. It's pretty humane, in fairness.

The cruel bits happen back in the piggeries.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

Does nobody here like bacon?

Ronaldinho wrote: »

Of course but people dont want to think about where it comes from. Cognitive dissonance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I

The method for killing pigs here is a carbon dioxide bath. They just fall asleep and are then killed by cutting. It's pretty humane, in fairness.

The cruel bits happen back in the piggeries.

So they are suffocated pretty much?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Ronaldinho wrote: »

I love bacon. That's why I buy from local free range producer. The difference in quality is huge.

I suspect part of the reason for objecting is that it would affect other less intensive suppliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

I find it so difficult to find higher welfare or free range bacon products in the supermarkets. Local butchers are not much good either.

Any tips on where to source it?

I notice Lidl selling free range this week, but as a promotion. Not as one of their permanent products on the shelf.

I love pork. Is there anywhere to buy free range pork in Ireland? These piggeries are very bad and would rather not support them if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Surely with the volume of slurry and animal products and wastes it must be viable or environmentally sound to treat slurry and use as a fuel or treat animal wastes/by products for some useful purpose other than just spreading it on land for it to leach into groundwater?

Advertisement