Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bike rack for 4 bikes

Options
  • 05-04-2021 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Looking for some opintions on bike racks

At the moment, I have a thule roof rack with 4 bike holders. It works fine however my wife finds it hard to get the 2 centre bikes up and down.
    It is slow-ish to take on and off which we do a bit. We also have the constant fear of crashing into a low parking barrier when we forget the bike rack is on top.

I was thinking about replacing it with a towbar bike rack holder.

There are 2 types I was thinking of:
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/thule-9708-hangon-towbar-bike-rack-4-bike-/rp-prod165295
    and
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thule-VeloCompact-Carrier-TowBall-Tiltable/dp/B01ELC4K0S

From the looks of them, they should be faster to take on and off. Also, the first would will be easier to get a bike or 2 on and off quickly.

When loaded with 4 bikes, the second one looks much stronger and sturdier but is it worth the additional cost.

Any advice, pros/cons etc appreciated.

Right now, I'm leaning towards the first bike rack above.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,730 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

just be aware of towbar weight limits and the nose weight of your car. I have a Halfords 4 bike rack, max total weight is 60kgs, so 4 road bikes is fine but 4 mountain bikes will get close to the limit. Thats also a lot of weight to be hanging off the back of a car, if the car itself isn't a decent size it could affect the steering, suspension etc. Your car manual will have guidance on this.

it's also not that quick to load bikes on and off as you have to take care to avoid handlebars and pedals clashing and then make sure everything is strapped securely.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Don Juan II

Thanks @loyatemu

Good advice there. There will be 2 kids bike and 2 adults bikes so weight shouldn't be an issue.

A lot of the time, it's only 1 or 2 bikes going with us for a journey.

Also, I meant it's slow taking the roof rack on/off at the moment. Once the roof rack is on the car, getting bikes up or down is very quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

I have both types (the exact model hangon Thule rack and a Buzz Rack platform rack).

The main reason we got the platform rack is that we found it very difficult to actually get 4 bikes on the hangon rack, even when it was 2 adult + 2 small kids bikes. It was possible but only if you didnt really care about scratches and scuffs, as the bikes would bang and rattle against each other. When the kids got older and it became 2 adult + 2 medium sized kids bikes, we could only manage to get 3 bikes on max. That said, we have kept the hangon rack to use on short trips where we are only taking 1 or 2 bikes as it is much easier to throw on the back of the car vs the platform rack.

The platform rack takes longer to set up, but we’ve transported 4 adult “pride and joys” on several long cross-country journeys without any scratching or knocking against each other. We have this version... https://thebikerack.ie/products/buzz-rack-buzzquatro-4-platform-carrier

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

https://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bike-racks/towbar-mounted-bike-racks/halfords-4-bike-towbar-mounted-bike-rack-548658.html

I was using the Halfords 4 bike tow bar rack today. Got a towbar fitted by malcoms down in rathmines for €320. The rack is excellent and very sturdy. It has rubbers on the inner bars that protect the bikes from getting scratched. I thought I would be using extra bungee cords but I did not need them. Very secure straps and works perfectly at half the price of other well known brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭cletus

Here's a second (or third or whatever) vote for the Halfords 4 bike rack. It does take a little bit of time, but it's been rock solid for me.

I also have a single bike roof rack for when I'm only bringing my bike.

As noted above, the car that's carrying them is relevant too. I'm driving an Avensis estate, so it's well within my payload, as such

• Advertisement

cletus wrote: »
    Here's a second (or third or whatever) vote for the Halfords 4 bike rack. It does take a little bit of time, but it's been rock solid for me.

I also have a single bike roof rack for when I'm only bringing my bike.

As noted above, the car that's carrying them is relevant too. I'm driving an Avensis estate, so it's well within my payload, as such

I have mine on a 2006 civic 1.8 hatch. The rack is almost the same size as the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Thanks @loyatemu

Good advice there. There will be 2 kids bike and 2 adults bikes so weight shouldn't be an issue.

A lot of the time, it's only 1 or 2 bikes going with us for a journey.

Also, I meant it's slow taking the roof rack on/off at the moment. Once the roof rack is on the car, getting bikes up or down is very quick!

Why not leave it on?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Don Juan II

grogi wrote: »
    Why not leave it on?

It creates a lot of noise (and drag) when driving. It's quite annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jonesy101

You could get a thule 3 bike towbar carrier with the additional extender for a 4th bike. Means that when you said youd be mostly using 2 bikes then its a little bit shorter, a 4 carrier would be that little bit extra longer behind the car.

Does the halfords towbar carrier tip down when accessing the boot? If not id say thats a deal breaker.

Putting bikes on the platform towbar or the hangbar both would take similar time with pedals and handlebars aligning and not scratching. Hang bar the bikes will sway and move around which wouldnt feel as solid or safe when turning or going over bumps and potholes. Does that thule hangbar have a tip over option for accessing the boot?

That hangbar doesnt look to have a locking mech for the bikes, the velocompact does, I got the 3 bike version last year and its excellent. Youll need a towbar and the electrics for the lights and reverse light and another number plate. 3 bike velocompact was about 440 in thebikerack.ie in Cabinteely.

Roof rack needs the bars and then 4 bike holders which are around 130 a piece which is a bit of a bummer. So yeah would create a lot of noise and drag , its not just the cross bars. Its also v hard to put on the middle 2 bikes in the center of the car, especially if its a SUV. And then there are a lot of people who crash the bikes going into a parking, or a motorway services, its pretty easy to forget if you have 2 kids going mental in the back of the car and a full car load and tired after a journey.

You are also able to get bike racks on the biketowork scheme if you wanted to buy within the country.

Jonesy101 wrote: »

Does the halfords towbar carrier tip down when accessing the boot? If not id say thats a deal breaker.

the one I have doesn't tilt but you can open the boot once the bikes are off (you have to fold down the frame support nearest the boot but that takes 10 secs). We can access the boot by folding the back seats down anyway so it's not a big deal, but if you had child seats in the car that would be impractical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

i'm between the Thule 9708 hangon and the halfords 4 bike platform myself...
    I think i'm leaning towards the platform but one of the review comments says it only supports smaller adult bikes. Mine is an XL frame with a wheelbase about 111cm. Anyone know if it fits alright?
    Also no problems going up down hills with it hitting the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭cletus

Scruff wrote: »
    i'm between the Thule 9708 hangon and the halfords 4 bike platform myself...
    I think i'm leaning towards the platform but one of the review comments says it only supports smaller adult bikes. Mine is an XL frame with a wheelbase about 111cm. Anyone know if it fits alright?
    Also no problems going up down hills with it hitting the road?

I have that rack, my bike is 57cm (don't know the wheelbase) and there's no issues with fit. I've had two adult and two kids bike on in on journeys from Kildare to Clare with zero issue re contact with the road, even over speed bumps

I have that rack as well - I've had the bottom of the towbar hit the road a couple of times over ramps, but never the rack itself.
    (it doesn't tilt, this isn't much of a problem for us as we can access the boot via the back seats, but if you have child seats in the car you might want to consider a tilting model)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

For anyone thinking Thule 9708, I had one offered to me earlier this week when looking for a 4 bike rack - however I'm looking for platform type. Check here if interested.

The Halfords advanced rack tilts alright, but at a pretty premium to the non-tilting version. From having used a 3 bike towbar rack for years, tilting is a must for me.

And lastly, I'm also on the lookout for a 4 bike towbar mounted rack and had been looking at the Peruzzo Pure Instinct at Micks Garage (seemingly aborted thread here!) so this thread is well timed...

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

Does anyone use platform racks to carry bikes with deep rims. My current race bike has 55mm rims and whilst i would like to use a platform rack to carry it to races etc, id be worried about wind resistance on the rims or the bike blowing clean off. would be sitting behind an SUV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

Does anyone use platform racks to carry bikes with deep rims. My current race bike has 55mm rims and whilst i would like to use a platform rack to carry it to races etc, id be worried about wind resistance on the rims or the bike blowing clean off. would be sitting behind an SUV.

They aren't going anywhere on a platform rack. The wheels are strapped down too. The bike are well in the strip stream of the car too. I did a few hundred km in Spain with one of these signs held on with twist ties, It's slightly less aerodynamic than a set of deep sections and didn't go anywhere!

11612697.jpg

I have R-p-X8176983 two bike rack for when I'm just carrying one or two bikes. Takes seconds to put in and load. The kids bikes will fit in boot if we're not fully loaded.

For the full holiday trips I have a Buzzrack Buzzwing 4 Have to say I've found it pretty good. Quick enough put on and load but it will take a bit of figuring out the first time especially with kids bikes as handlebars are at different heights and saddle get in the way. I just turn the bars on one bike and take the seats of the kids bikes.

Discontinued now but replaced by the Eazzy 4 which seems to have fixed the main thing I don't like about the Buzzwing the the number plate board and lights are a little flimsy. Towbar clamp is tool-less now old one came with a spanner. Clamp still needs the key to open take it of so is still secure. I will say the clamps to fold the wheel platforms up are a little stiff. It does fold up into a pretty small footprint and is easy lift and carry as it has two handles for lifting.

Sometimes wonder if the Thule would have been worth the extra money. Bit lighter with an led lightboard.
    Paid €360 for buzzwing in LBS. Could have got the Thule for about €500 online but LBS was well over €600
    The Halfords advanced rack tilts alright, but at a pretty premium to the non-tilting version. From having used a 3 bike towbar rack for years, tilting is a must for me.

And lastly, I'm also on the lookout for a 4 bike towbar mounted rack and had been looking at the Peruzzo Pure Instinct at Micks Garage (seemingly aborted thread here!) so this thread is well timed...

Yea tilting is a must when you are full loaded. We're just beyond child seat stage so will be easier getting some bits through the back seats. New dog taking over half the boot means a roof box is the next requirement though!

Not sure I like the look of the arms that clamp to the frames on that Peruzzo. Can imagine it being tricky to get them all lined up through all the bike frame.

552425.jpg

552426.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

I have this on the back of a Ford S Max

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hollywood-Racks-F4-Heavy-Black/dp/B000QJ8C1Y/ref=asc_df_B000QJ8C1Y/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310135571037&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18248811009767951643&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=20482&hvtargid=pla-450046578211&psc=1

Takes 2 adult and 2 bikes for 11 and 13 year old comfortably. I think I would get a smaller 5th bike if needed

Note: Googling Hollywood Racks separately may produce interesting results :)

I can put my carbon giant defy advanced 2 2020 size m/l with hunt aero 33s worth 3 1/2 k on my rack with 2 kids bikes with not a worry in the world. Its very secure and has rubbers to protect the bike from getting scratched.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Lewotsil

Does 320 include the cost of towbar and multisocket ? Often wondered do cars have it pre wired or a port at rear of car for this ?
    byrnem31 wrote: »
    https://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bike-racks/towbar-mounted-bike-racks/halfords-4-bike-towbar-mounted-bike-rack-548658.html

I was using the Halfords 4 bike tow bar rack today. Got a towbar fitted by malcoms down in rathmines for €320. The rack is excellent and very sturdy. It has rubbers on the inner bars that protect the bikes from getting scratched. I thought I would be using extra bungee cords but I did not need them. Very secure straps and works perfectly at half the price of other well known brands.

Lewotsil wrote: »
    Does 320 include the cost of towbar and multisocket ? Often wondered do cars have it pre wired or a port at rear of car for this ?

Yeah the multi socket I got too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭uphillonly

We've had this one for a few years. Carried 4 adult road bikes with no problem many times. It drops down allowing access to the boot with bikes still attached. Very handy on long trips with overnight stops or when you've just forgotten to pack something after fitting all the bikes.

https://www.malcolms.ie/cycle-carriers/witter/zx704

Malcolms (Dublin) installed towbar as well as selling the rack.

uphillonly wrote: »
    We've had this one for a few years. Carried 4 adult road bikes with no problem many times. It drops down allowing access to the boot with bikes still attached. Very handy on long trips with overnight stops or when you've just forgotten to pack something after fitting all the bikes.

https://www.malcolms.ie/cycle-carriers/witter/zx704

Malcolms (Dublin) installed towbar as well as selling the rack.

This looks like it's a rebranded Peruzzo (or Peruzzo rebranded the Witter). Either way the model name is the same and the pics are identical!

Do you have any issues with being able to clamp all of the bikes, I wonder if you find what Ryath is saying above is an issue for you?
    Not sure I like the look of the arms that clamp to the frames on that Peruzzo. Can imagine it being tricky to get them all lined up through all the bike frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭uphillonly

Do you have any issues with being able to clamp all of the bikes, I wonder if you find what Ryath is saying above is an issue for you?

No, it's fairly straightforward. One long arm goes through three of the frames & there's a separate extender that you clamp between the 3rd & 4th bikes. You just have to remember to put the arm through the frames as you load them.

I've had a mix of road, hybrids, kids bikes without any problems. I've never been concerned about carbon frames being clamped. This isn't a load bearing clamp as the bikes are sitting on the carrier with front & rear wheels strapped down. It's just stopping additional movement and them tipping off.

Thanks, on that basis I might give it a go so.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

Any love for 4 bikes on the roof? I’m using 4 Thule pro rides with 2 facing forward and 2 facing backward with good success so far. I put the 2 adult bikes in centre and kids bikes on outsides. Works well so far with no issues except loading and unloading the centre bikes needs some space and practice. I’m not driving an SUV though which might make things trickier.

Total cost of racks and bars etc probably is similar to tow bar option if you don’t already have tow bar on car. One of the main reasons for me to go this direction though was it’s very easy to store all the bits when kit not in use but the tow bar platforms look huge to store (at home or at a hotel etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Mr. Cats wrote: »
    One of the main reasons for me to go this direction though was it’s very easy to store all the bits when kit not in use but the tow bar platforms look huge to store (at home or at a hotel etc)

You can buy foldable 4 bike tow bar racks that tilt down.
    I have one. They are very handy as you can leave it on the car throughout the summer if you wish.

The clamp arms simply fold down when not in use.

To open the boot for shopping you then tilt it down. A handy option if you would be doing a lot of family trips throughout the summer months but don't want to be lifting a heavy platform on and off.

https://www.altitude.ie/accessories/bike-storage-transport/buzz-rack-moose-4-bike-towbar__1291?currency=EUR&chosenAttribute=77-057&gclid=CjwKCAjw-e2EBhAhEiwAJI5jg-vKeKBzdN88ixAXvIpheM7RVvtKKc-BS610Eri1256pEuMfeAOGiBoCdrcQAvD_BwE#miv-1

My reasons for tow bar fitting are that 1) I tend to have towbars anyway because I occasionally tow a trailer! 2) I have a roof box for holidays so roof space is limited (am currently trying to work out if kayak & roof box will fit side by side for holiday in June :D).

Then when it comes to storage I just hang my current 3 bike rack on the wall of my garage where it takes up very little space. If I need to remove it from the car when on holidays etc it fits neatly in the boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

Then when it comes to storage I just hang my current 3 bike rack on the wall of my garage where it takes up very little space. If I need to remove it from the car when on holidays etc it fits neatly in the boot.

Is that just the ‘rack’ style ones though that fold up and not the platform type ones? I mean do the platform ones also fold up? ( sorry if it’s a stupid question, I’m guessing they don’t?)

Mr. Cats wrote: »
    Is that just the ‘rack’ style ones though that fold up and not the platform type ones? I mean do the platform ones also fold up? ( sorry if it’s a stupid question, I’m guessing they don’t?)

Mine is a platform type - the support arms fold down when not in use. I'll be selling it here once my new rack arrives :)

https://www.roofracks.co.uk/rideon-3/p/16

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jonesy101

Interesting concern! The strap might not be long enough to go around the deep rims. Yes itd be safe but might need a different extra long strap. I have a 29in wheel mountain bike which has about 10inch longer wheelbase than any normal bike and struggled a bit initially with short straps, the platform rack isnt really designed for extra long bikes or fat tyres or extra deep rims.

Advertisement