Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Munster vs Ulster, Fri 7th May 8:15pm, Eir Sport

Options
  • 06-05-2021 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭

Munster:
    Mike Haley; Andrew Conway, Dan Goggin, Rory Scannell, Shane Daly; JJ Hanrahan, Conor Murray;
    Dave Kilcoyne, Niall Scannell, John Ryan; Fineen Wycherley, Tadhg Beirne; Peter O’Mahony (C), Chris Cloete, Gavin Coombes.

Replacements: Kevin O’Byrne, Jeremy Loughman, Roman Salanoa, Jean Kleyn, CJ Stander, Nick McCarthy, Ben Healy, Damian de Allende.

Ulster:
    (15-9) Jacob Stockdale, Rob Lyttle, Will Addison, Stuart McCloskey, Ethan McIlroy, Michael Lowry, Alby Mathewson;
    (1-8) Andrew Warwick, John Andrew, Tom O’Toole, Alan O’Connor, Iain Henderson (Capt.), Jordi Murphy, Marcus Rea, David McCann.

Replacements: Rob Herring, Callum Reid, Marty Moore, Sam Carter, Nick Timoney, David Shanahan, Angus Curtis, James Hume.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Reasonably stacked from both sides.

Surprised at Nick over Casey unless he's carrying something?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

That's a reasonably disappointing line-up. Would have preferred Ben Healy starting over JJ, and Salanoa/Knox over John Ryan. Nick McCarthy on the bench too. Would liked to have seen JOS involved as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

wtf Dan...! i thought you said this was a chance to try out other players?

We are basically trying out McCann & Rea with Reid and Curtis on the bench....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Pretty strong Munster team. JP Ferreria mentioned keeping some consistency in selection and it's been mentioned that this is a trophy that's up for grabs so not hugely surprised that it's not a complete overhaul / youth team. Good to see Goggin back in the side (and hopefully we'll see a decent amount of him and DDA beside one another) and Conway/Daly getting a run out. Also hoping that we'll see front row and Healy get a decent chunk of game time.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Conway and Daly both need the run out, as did Scannell. Nice to see Goggin in the set up too. Happy enough with one of the two young THs getting a whirl. Must be Fineen's first start in a while too? Hopefully he asserts himself.

Be interesting to see Callum Reid too - looked fairly powerful for Ulster A whenever I've seen him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Scythica

Really couldn't care for this.

Hope for more academy lads in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

A stupid tournament rendered even more pointless if we're not going to try out new guys.

Waste of everyone's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,713 ✭✭✭✭phog

A stupid tournament rendered even more pointless if we're not going to try out new guys.

Waste of everyone's time.

Wrong thread or just another rant in a Munster thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Very surprised at JJ starting, especially since it would've been a great opportunity to give Healy game time alongside Murray, considering every time Healy has had a start it's been with Casey.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Very surprised at JJ starting, especially since it would've been a great opportunity to give Healy game time alongside Murray, considering every time Healy has had a start it's been with Casey.
    Yeah, outside of being stuck, I wouldn't have any of the players who are leaving in the 23, never mind starting. Good servants, but we should be using this tournament to get minutes into their replacements in preparation for next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Might not even bother watching. Once SA sides could not play in the same competition I lost interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Might not even bother watching. Once SA sides could not play in the same competition I lost interest.

I will. Want to see how the weans go. And am slowly getting over the Leicester debacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I preferred the direction of the lineup against Leinster, where it was full strength but had loaded the bench with young players. I'm not sure why Munster want to persist with JJ at 10 when Carbery, Healy and Flannery are available. That said, given the weekly updates on Ahern's fitness, it seems to me that he would be featuring in these games but for that injury.

It's great to see Goggin available. He's a few years removed from when he was starting against top opponents like Leinster and Exeter but needs to make the most of any minutes he can get. If DDA isn't retained then there may be a spot in the centre for someone at Munster to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Another pretty strong team from Munster, definitely taking the rainbow cup somewhat seriously

From a Munster POV I would have liked to have seen J. Wycherley get a game.

Thought Gallagher was due a game at FB, but with 4 changes in the backs already maybe they are looking for some sort of continuity

Strange that Casey is left out altogether.

McCloskey has done real damage to Munster in the recent past,Scannell and Goggin will need to be sharp in defence

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭OldRio

I may be in a minority but I'm looking forward to this tonight. After all the crap about the cash grab (Lions) this week, it will be nice to see a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,713 ✭✭✭✭phog

OldRio wrote: »
    I may be in a minority but I'm looking forward to this tonight. After all the crap about the cash grab (Lions) this week, it will be nice to see a game.

Why wouldn't you look forward to an InterPro, especially one where Ulster are coming to Thomond with two straight losses and hoping to prove something. We did a job on Leinster in the first round and a win here would set us up nicely for another InterPro next week v Connacht.

Fair enough different teams might have different priorities but I don't get the bashing the new competition is getting. Rugby fans have been relatively lucky during the pandemic in that we have had live sport to watch, GAA for example are only getting going this weekend.

Conway and O'Mahony due big games for Munster.

Hopefully Goggin sees plenty of ball

Really poor from Mathewson there

Addison what are you at?

Scrap.

Silly by Addison

• Advertisement

Mike Haley into the lineout again

Interesting lineout

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Really not good enough from Marcus Rea off that scrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Interesting lineout

Coombes making a play for a late call up to the Lions

We're so lucky to have Gav Coombes coming in with CJ leaving... unreal carry again.

Jesus Coombes

Coombes has to get a cap this summer. No question about it.

Were Ulster going for a choke tackle on Coombes? Felt they could have taken him to ground earlier

Munster putting some good stuff together here, to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Who scored the try?

Advertisement