Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SOTC(state of the collection) thread.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

and buy more bike stuff. :) The water still flows, it finds another path.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭Fitz II

blue5000 wrote: »
    Thanks both of you for sharing. What's on the radar(s)?

At the moment nothing, but there is always another. I will let it find me rather than actively looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

It's been a while since I've shared my modest collection. At that time, I had the Sinn 104 and Stowa Marine 40 (both sadly departed to good homes). As this crazy addiction progresses, I've gravitated towards more modest sized pieces. The ethos of my SOTC remains the same, restrained where possible to two pieces, one steel and one dress to cover most bases (G-Shocks don't count right?)

552275.jpg

Tudor Black Bay 79030N
    Nomos Tangente 139
    Casio G-Shock GW-5000-1JF

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Perfect! A dress watch, a tool watch and a diver, if we could all get back to that adverts would be flooded.

Edt. You just need a chrono and all bases are covered.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Perfect! A dress watch, a tool watch and a diver, if we could all get back to that adverts would be flooded.

Only once you have reached watch collecting maturity, this illness wont allow such restraint for me, but I am trying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,686 ✭✭✭893bet

Fitz II wrote: »
    this illness wont allow such restraint for me, but I am trying.

And you are failing wonderfully

893bet wrote: »
    And you are failing wonderfully

“Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.”

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

In my humble Dave nails it with his collection and has in both iterations.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

To bring this thread into June, here's the current collection, minus a few digitals.

[IMG][/img]51218376621_d41ab1eb94_c.jpgSOTC by

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

No change for me - was sensible and bought a motor vehicle instead. But my 1967 diver has its bezel reshaped and reattached now after a few months out of action and the Legend diver has new shoes (and I'm bored in 'work', so why not!). Hope to add at least one to the collection this year.

554746.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Calculator123

A new convert to collecting and it's a bit of a mixed bag! I find the Slava to be the most interesting of the pocket/stopwatches. All in working order although not sure how to wind the old pocket watch. Love looking at them all

Top from left:
    Pocketwatch from 1889 made in Dublin by William Hug
    Seiko Kinetic circa 2000
    G Shock
    Sólás Starlight

Bottom from left:
    Slava Rattrapante stopwatch from Russia. Prob 1980s, or 90s
    Elgin railroad pocketwatch from 1925
    Hamilton railroad pocketwatch from 1934

554919.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Fitz II wrote: »
    “Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.”

Or, as Quentin Crisp famously said: "If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Or, as Quentin Crisp famously said: "If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style."

There is a blast from the past. An Englishman in .New York.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭LMHC

I've a second hand AP Royal oak jumbo 15202ST I purchased in February and I love it.

And I've a Fitbit Versa 2 and Yonmig Fitness tracker.

Recently went to sheerins in town looking at a Breitling but nothing caught the eye.

LMHC wrote: »
    I've a second hand AP Royal oak jumbo 15202ST I purchased in February and I love it.

And I've a Fitbit Versa 2 and Yonmig Fitness tracker.

Recently went to sheerins in town looking at a Breitling but nothing caught the eye.

Where did you get the AP! That wasn’t cheap. What colour? Any pics?

If you are ever selling let me know! That’s one of the few APs I would buy to make my trilogy.

Where did you get the AP! That wasn’t cheap. What colour? Any pics?

If you are ever selling let me know! That’s one of the few APs I would buy to make my trilogy.

I got the AP in Bethnal green in London. Best place for second hand watches if your willing to spend. Its a blue dial, 39mm.

How do I post pics? I've a few

LMHC wrote: »
    I got the AP in Bethnal green in London. Best place for second hand watches if your willing to spend. Its a blue dial, 39mm.

How do I post pics? I've a few

Nice! Eye watering no expensive though! Host them below and copy the forum link in then

https://postimages.org/

Nice! Eye watering no expensive though! Host them below and copy the forum link in then

https://postimages.org/

What do you mean host them sorry I'm not the most tech savvy. I click the link, post them on that site yes?

Yes. Follow on the on screen instructions and then it will give you forum tags you can copy over and post here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I started with the Stuhrling and Fossil, and was given the Daniel Wellington as a gift. None get much wear these days.
    I started to take more of an interest from there, and sold some other fashion brand watches to pay for the Dan Henry and Tissot Gentleman. Added the Ingersoll Trenton last year which is probably my favourite, and the Seiko Presage Cocktail Mojito which looks a lot nicer in person than it does in the picture.
    I recently got the Orient Kanno just to try an Orient.
    Im aiming for a Bulova Oceanographer and a Seiko SSA231k1 to fill the box, and something higher value next year for a big birthday.

https://postimg.cc/3WnVZWyn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

@SebastienDangerfield: Here you go:
    20210608-222349.jpg

All you need to do is right click the image on the PostImage page, then select copy link to image/image location, or something to that effect.

Then, when you go to post here, click the image icon on the post window, paste in the URL and that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I got a new Watch box for my Seiko’s today in the post .A couple of spaces left in it which will hopefully be filled with a Pogue and a grand seiko of some sort in the future

fdpAvSe.jpg

EpZZgpV.jpg

a59BQUJ.jpg

Might as well put up a pic of my non seiko box as well.That box is a 24 watch box so plenty of space for future purchases.

CzGl4gE.jpg

See the grey chrono second from the top on the right (seiko box) - what's the model number there? Interesting look about it, to me at least.

It’s a 7t62 ( movement ) 0dk0 model , not sure of the exact reference as there is a few different dial colours .It’s a nice cheap and cheerful quartz alarm but one of the more sentimental ones I have.My wife bought it for me out of her last weeks wages when she finished work to raise our kids back in 2002 .

She went back to work just before last Xmas and bought me a Panerai out of her first months salary so she’s definitely a keeper !

That's a nice story, glad I asked now! :)

Current SOTC https://i.ibb.co/CbctB84/Screenshot-2021-08-14-083658.png for high res version. Got the lighting nice and I have kept the camera locked at distance so the relative sizing is correct.

Left to Right

1. Sub No Date Ceramic (wife wears this almost all the time despite having her own collection)
    2. JLC Reverso Grand Date (like this a lot, I am not a leather strap guy, but this has a sport vibe and is something different)
    3. Rolex Hulk (Rebuy, photos dont do these justice)
    4. Patel Rose Gold Aquanaut (no explanation necessary, swoon)
    5. Batgirl (fancy but sporty, colours much better than Pepsi IMHO)
    6. AP Royal Oak Chrono 41mm (glorious)
    7. Daytona White Gold (getting better with age)
    8. Preceramic Kermit (unbelievably undervalued at the moment, bracelet not a patch on the new ones, Bezel colour is brilliant, safe queen)

Got rid of the ceramic Daytona cause it simply was not worth it for what I paid. Various Tudors and Omegas were trade in pawns and all gone now traded on the Reverso.

Have a couple others

1. Seiko SKX on strapcode (there to remind me not to buy any more Seiko's)
    2. Solas Starlight (support for our man Thirdfox)
    3. Tag Aquaracer (wedding watch, maturing with age like milk)

My beaters:

• Casioak
    • Duro

What's next?

• White Gold Day-Date with green dial (want this at retail but fupping expensive)
    • Patek 5968a Chrono Aquanaut on Orange Strap (a man can dream, need to be retail, again this even at retail would hurt)
    • Some sort of Panerai (need to try a Panerai but nothing too expensive)
    • Omega Dark Side of the Moon is nagging at me. Still waiting on a Silver Snoopy.

General Comments

• Market showing little sign of softening.
    • Watches getting harder and harder to get.
    • When I go to sell there is a massive disconnect between dealer asking prices and offer prices.
    • Getting watches at retail difficult.
    • New boards.ie still sucks but slowly getting better.
    • Watchfinder France is very very slow at the moment.
    • A lot of my friend who were a year ago not into watches or only at a superficial level are getting precious metal Daytona's, Heavy hitters etc. Watch collecting is much more main stream now. Watches that were dogs 6 months ago, and now purchased with relish and excitement.
    • So interesting to go back over previous SOTC and see how things change, Highly recommended to all, its like a diary.

Post edited by Fitz II on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Think you've gotten mixed up between 5 & 7 Fitz.

"A lot of my friend who were a year ago not into watches or only at a superficial level are getting precious metal Daytona's, Heavy hitters etc. Watch collecting is much more main stream now. "

LOL.

Nice collection.

Really is an incredible collection.The Tag heuer being the obvious crown jewel …

The what’s next is hard .

The JLC seems a backwards step .Omega the same .I’m a fan of Panerai but is it needed when you have a gold Patek?You’ve all the desirable Rolex’s done (The root beer you had is a grail of mine ) .A nautilus is the obvious direction for you to go as far as I can see.

Have you any interest in vintage?? That minefield would certainly fill the research stage , A Paul Newman or similar would also soak up the finance fairly quickly.

I hope the market is softening soon.My to buy list is growing rapidly and I’d love to see some sort of price slow down.I think it will happen over the next few months ,money is being spent on travel again , shopping trips etc.COVID had a lot of people with excess cash and nothing to spend it on .Life getting back to normal will give plenty of other areas to take that cash.

Thanks, all valid points too. Yes the root beer was a very nice watch and a lot of people told me keep it. Friend of mine got one resently in weirs with basically no history there and only 3 months wait. The JLC and Omega are kinda backwards but the JLC I got to fill that leather strap watch itch and its not so expensive that I am twitchy about the money I am into it. The Omega may be a catch and release.

Nautilus was an obcession of mine for a long time, but I tried a few on and found them less than I would wish for that sort of money. Vintage scares me, not that keen to get into it, I also find vintage watchs not that nice to wear....watches have improved a lot in the last 20 years from a quality feeling and any vintage watch I ever tried feels like a fake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,545 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

there is something about the dark side of the moon. i bought fitz's from him (having owned a grey side and a dstom pitch black previously) its an amazing watch and oddly the one my wife most comments on that she likes as well.

Advertisement