Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tesla Talk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

^^ but this is the whole point of releasing the ‘beta’ version to a select number of Tesla owners......

Tesla are monitoring every interaction every single one of these cars has, from how it performs in real world conditions, to how many times the driver needs to take back control to avert an incident etc......

The best testing is real world testing, and that’s exact what we are seeing......

When folks get the beta version to test, it comes with a huge disclaimer that they must absolutely be ready to take control should the car try and do something silly... and that’s exactly what we are seeing in all these ‘FSD is rubbish’ videos.......

Yes it’s currently rubbish
    But yes, it’s still in beta mode

Don’t think Tesla aren’t capturing millions and millions of pieces of data from every camera/sensor in these FSD cars to use to improve it, as to to so, would be foolish... especially with a product that’s still only in the beta testing phase!!!

It might still be a few years before it gets there, if it ever does.... but they need to start somewhere...

When this eventually starts rolling out in other regions, the system might need a year of local ‘learning’ from the local Tesla fleet before it is able to function...... (though have no doubt that it’s already learning local situations, just by simply being driven around by owners)

A good thing Tesla don't do Covid vaccines then, isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Orebro

KCross wrote: »
    I know its still beta but FSD has a LONG way to go and Tesla have the cheek to charge thousands for it right now!

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a35878363/teslas-full-self-driving-beta-is-just-laughably-bad-and-potentially-dangerous/

Thats on a nice sunny day in a city with decent road markings. Imagine a tight European street in bad weather and terrible markings or the Ring of Kerry or any of our N or L roads.... dont hold your breath for FSD in this country any time soon.

That’s shockingly dangerous - I wouldn’t want to be sharing the road with that! How are they allowed to test this rubbish in public like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

i dont think it should be used in citys or towns,
    maybe they could limit it to rural area,s or motorways using gps.
    As its putting other road users in danger.its simply not safe to use in citys with high levels of traffic ,it seems to find it hard to know what to do when it see,s cars parked in some places and how to safely drive around them
    without putting other road users in danger.
    a human driver would know how to slow down and let cars coming from the opposite direction pass by before trying to drive around a car or some other obstacle like road works

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Orebro wrote: »
    That’s shockingly dangerous - I wouldn’t want to be sharing the road with that! How are they allowed to test this rubbish in public like that?

You probably all ready are - I think Elon promised a million fully autonomous robo-taxis by last year. There could possibly be more by now.

Yep, confirmed:

https://www.engadget.com/ - 1 million robo-taxis in 2020.

They're probably so good, we just haven't noticed them :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Orebro

Kramer wrote: »
    You probably all ready are - I think Elon promised a million fully autonomous robo-taxis by last year. There could possibly be more by now.

Yep, confirmed:

https://www.engadget.com/ - 1 million robo-taxis in 2020.

They're probably so good, we just haven't noticed them :D.

Can't be much worse than some taxi drivers I've encountered I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,703 ✭✭✭✭unkel

To whom it may concern: you can now buy a Tesla with Bitcoin. More interestingly, Tesla will HODL the Bitcoin and stick it on their balance sheet. Not exchange it for USD.

Linky

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

unkel wrote: »
    To whom it may concern: you can now buy a Tesla with Bitcoin. More interestingly, Tesla will HODL the Bitcoin and stick it on their balance sheet. Not exchange it for USD.

Linky

Very clever from Elon. That whole international drug-dealer market is not currently targeted by other carmakers. :pac:

fricatus wrote: »
    Very clever from Elon. That whole international drug-dealer market is not currently targeted by other carmakers. :pac:

99.999% of drug dealing goes on using fiat currency - but bitcoin.

cnocbui wrote: »
    99.999% of drug dealing goes on using fiat currency - but bitcoin.
    correct, it is the nuisance call fraudsters that transport their wealth back to their countries of origin with Bitcoin. Drug dealers couldn't live with the high transaction costs of Bitcoin.
    Still he had to do something to entice the criminals out of their G-wagens.
    replacing chrome with satin black on window trims can only take you so far.

correct, it is the nuisance call fraudsters that transport their wealth back to their countries of origin with Bitcoin. Drug dealers couldn't live with the high transaction costs of Bitcoin.
    Still he had to do something to entice the criminals out of their G-wagens.
    replacing chrome with satin black on window trims can only take you so far.

He's not enticing me to part with any of mine. Can I interest you in some gear?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

330 Tesla's registered in Ireland in Q1 this year....

325 Model 3's
    4 Model S's
    1 Model X

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Q1 figures are out.

184800 vehicles delivered. Looks like Tesla has ramped up more than anyone expected.

/M

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Not strictly a Tesla, but parts of a Tesla.
    This is really cool.

We have a thread about that Gumbo. That series is called "Vintage Voltage", do a search on it here. Well worth the watch, they do a class job converting classic cars to electric. Eye-wateringly expensive though :D

I'm not sure if the adapter is the same for the S/X & 3, so I'll throw this out there, generally.
    Anyone have one, particularly one they're not using & won't be for a while? I've been trying to get hold of one from Sandyford, to no avail :(.

Over 100 minutes on hold today - it's very poor form. It's not like I can pop in - I'm over 200kms from Sandyford & just wanted to know if I could order the cable over the phone for delivery by Friday, or if I ordered online, if it was coming from elsewhere - the UK or Europe etc.

Anyway, if anyone has one & is in reachable from Clare/Tipperary/Limerick/North Cork & could spare it - that'd be great & warrant a pint, post lockdown :).

It looks like this.

LXSXsj5.png

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

try one of these for £6.47 if you are stuck, delivery is quick these days

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003IJAKLE/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

71TdEesn4cL._AC_SX679_.jpg

No, he wants it for attaching to the end of a UMC so it's proprietary connection.
    I thought this was standard supply with a new Tesla Kramer?

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

yeah, I was thinking you connect the normal tesla 3pin adapter to the tesla UMC,

then attach that to the amazon blue adapter and plug the blue adapter into what you need to
    slave1 wrote: »
    No, he wants it for attaching to the end of a UMC so it's proprietary connection.

• Advertisement

I have the 32a adaptor on my UMC. It’s my sole means of charging.

552353.jpeg

bambam wrote: »
    try one of these for £6.47 if you are stuck, delivery is quick these days

71TdEesn4cL._AC_SX679_.jpg

I have that already. Unfortuntely, it's the proprietary Tesla cable I need.
    The UK/3 pin plug limits charge to 10a/2.3kW, whereas the blue adapter allows 16a/3.7kW.
    I've never used any "granny" connector (I've always used type 2) - just in this instance, I need the 3.7kW.

Tesla went on a penny saving exercise in 2019 & removed that connector, auto dimming wing mirrors, the frunk bolt covers & lots of other stuff.
    It's disappointing I've been unable to contact them, in any meaningful way, today. I spoke to someone in sales (in the UK, presumably) - after ringing the Sandyford number again & selecting "sales". He was lovely, said he'd try to get someone in Sandyford to get back to me - nothing.

I had also emailed - no response.

It's very, very poor form & leaves me stuck now. I even considered driving up to collect one first thing in the morning - it really is important I get one urgently, all I needed was confirmation they would have one there.

Anyway, things happen..........not the end of the world.
    But if anyone has one nearby - give me a shout - Limerick/Tipperary etc.

The Sandyford centre is undergoing a refurb, possible reason you couldn’t get them?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Word of warning, there are two different ones. UMC 1.0 and UMC 2.0, they changed in ~2018 and the connector ends are not interchangeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭zg3409

You might be better asking in the Tesla Ireland Facebook group.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

looks like Tesla have been naughty with their range and charging. Disclaimer: I saw this on zerohedge so treat with caution.
    Tesla has been found guilty of throttling charging speed and battery capacity by a court in Norway.

The company is going to "have to pay $16,000 to each of the thousands of owners affected in the country", until it appeals, according to the pro-Tesla lot over at electrek.

Dating back to 2019, electrek had pointed out reports that Tesla owners were seeing drops in range of 12 to 30 miles after a software update. The affected vehicles appear to only be Model S and Model X vehicles with 85 kWh battery packs.

Tesla owner David Rasmussen told the blog at the time: “My 2014 Model S 85 was getting Rated Range of 247 miles until May 13. Now after the next update, it continued to drop to now 217 miles. This is an 11% drop in 5 weeks.”

He even plotted the battery capacity of his Model S, showing the obvious dropoff in capacity around the time of the update.

Around the same time, the DC fast-charging rate at Supercharger stations had also been reduced, the blog notes, stating: "Affected owners are seeing much slower charging sessions."

Tesla, meanwhile, claimed that the update would “protect the battery and improve battery longevity”. The company claimed that range loss only happened for “a small percentage of owners.”

The controversy led to a "series of lawsuits", one of which was in Norway. When Tesla didn't respond to the lawsuit, the 30 owners "were automatically awarded 136,000 kroner (~$16,000 USD) each in compensation" unless Tesla appeals.

But the real devil could be in the forthcoming details: there could be over 10,000 other Tesla owners affected by the update in Norway alone, not to mention owners involved in similar lawsuits in other countries.

The affected update was Tesla’s 2019.16.1 and .2 update.

If this goes global their only way out is to roll back the range drop (what they did was restrict the available battery capacity to create a larger buffer) and SC speeds and then take the risk that more 85 pack batteries will fail under warranty.
    Sad thing is these batteries will be replaced like with like i.e. a reconditioned battery pack of same era
    The proper solution is to replace with the 350v 14/16 100kWh packs (two modules left out), these eliminate the nerfed range and charging but are like hen's teeth and pot luck whether they are available

If this goes global their only way out is to roll back the range drop (what they did was restrict the available battery capacity to create a larger buffer) and SC speeds and then take the risk that more 85 pack batteries will fail under warranty.
    Sad thing is these batteries will be replaced like with like i.e. a reconditioned battery pack of same era
    The proper solution is to replace with the 350v 14/16 100kWh packs (two modules left out), these eliminate the nerfed range and charging but are like hen's teeth and pot luck whether they are available

That’s it. The week mine was in for HV replacement a guy in the uk for the newer 350v battery but I got a reman 400b.

Just luck if the draw!

I'll take that $16k please, thank you :D

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    I'll take that $16k please, thank you :D

You got yours after the update, same with me, so no impact on us

Advertisement