Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Experience with the VRT of Vintage cars

• 04-05-2021 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hey,
    Just wondering if anyone has experience VRTing a 30 year old UK car and putting it on Irish plates?
    If the car has be sorned off the road for the past 5 or so years and garaged while being worked on.
    How would you go about VRTing it if you’ve no proof of purchase, import certs etc? and all you have is the v5 after purchasing it privately on DoneDeal or another site

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

How can it be sorned for 5 years, but its not vrt'ed

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

I assume you mean that it was still on SORN in the UK, if that's possible

You will need to find the hand written receipt from when you bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 michel1234

Testacalda wrote: »

You will need to find the hand written receipt from when you bought it.

Yeah, I mean sorn since it came down from the UK.
    Cool thanks! Thanks for the info, it’s just been garaged for the last 5 years, it would of been pretty hard to VRT a non running project car 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

I can see this turning into a ball of fire ...... VRT, Emission tax, VAT, Duty, Fines, invoices, shipping details all come to mind ....

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Yarisbob

Ive across this nugget of a website

https://www.vrt.ie/faq/vrt-checklist-documents/

is this a scam website or does any of this info still ring true ?

My experience of the VRT was easy going - I had all the documents in order and the lad that came out didnt give a monkeys flute - He only took the V5 and checked the chassis no, then €200, Number generated and it was all over in around 3 mins

Depends on who you get I suppose !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

Yarisbob wrote: »
    Ive across this nugget of a website

https://www.vrt.ie/faq/vrt-checklist-documents/

is this a scam website or does any of this info still ring true ?

My experience of the VRT was easy going - I had all the documents in order and the lad that came out didnt give a monkeys flute - He only took the V5 and checked the chassis no, then €200, Number generated and it was all over in around 3 mins

Depends on who you get I suppose !

All true and if coming in from the UK you need a VAT clearance certificate from Revenue. You might also have to provide proof of transaction like details of an electronic transfer. Remember you can only bring €10,000 cash undeclared into the UK. A new twist from Customs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Have I read this right? the car has been in the State for 5 years and not VRTd and you have just bought it ?

First off, the seller should have dealt with the VRT himself, he was not entitled to sell a foreign registered car in Ireland. I bet he was glad he found a buyer. You may have to prove it was in Ireland pre 2021 or pay VAT etc on the invoice price + transport costs. I don't really know how you will get around having no Customs Declaration without leaving yourself open to late VRT charges. Can of worms comes to mind.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Testacalda wrote: »

SORN = Statutory Off Road Notification = UK

SORD = Statutory Off Road Declaration = IRL

UK SORN started as an annual thing, but then they woke up and saved themselves a load of paperwork and postage by dropping the annual requirement https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/red-tape-challenge-reform-of-road-transport-regulations A SORN on a vehicle remains in place until the DVLA are notified of a change. This change was around 2011/12.

Advertisement