Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Killing of Lindani Myeni (US)

Options
  • 05-05-2021 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

KwaZulu-Natal Social Development MEC Nonhlanhla Khoza demanded justice for the shooting of Lindani Myeni, allegedly by US police, adding that the US government should "hang its head in shame" as it had become a slaughter house for black people.

Myeni's body arrived at Johannesburg's OR Tambo International Airport on Saturday. A prayer session was held at the airport.
    "The hostility displayed by the trigger-happy Honolulu police has revived wounds," she said.

"Today we are supposed to celebrate Workers' Day, instead we are here at OR Tambo, mourning our son of the soil whose shining light was diminished by the brutal hands of policemen."

She added:

This is a sad indictment on Americans that their country continues to be associated with senseless murder of black people by their police. The murder of our son has reminded us of the trans-Atlantic slave trade and public lynching of black people in America, and South Africa's recent past when black people suffered untold brutality at the hands of an apartheid regime and its security forces. The time has come to be vocal and condemning the [violence] of the police who kill people of black descent."
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.news24.com/amp/news24/southafrica/news/lindani-myeni-death-us-government-should-hang-its-head-in-shame-says-mec-khoza-20210501

It would be good to see major states put pressure on the U.S. over the behavior of their police force. This is a civil rights issue, the only way it can be solved is if trading partners of the U.S. take a stand against police brutality.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

Myeni had entered a home, sat down and taken off his shoes, prompting the scared occupants to call 911, Honolulu Police Department Chief Susan Ballard said Thursday.

Honolulu police have released body camera footage showing when officers deployed a stun gun on a Black man and fatally shot him while responding to a call about an alleged burglary.

The footage, though dark and shaky, shows officers struggle with the suspect, use a Taser on him and shoot him three times, all in less than a minute.

When the first officer arrived at the scene around 8:10 p.m., a distraught woman is heard outside the house telling the officer, "That's him." Myeni is seen in the footage getting out of a car and walking toward the officer. Another officer is heard in body camera footage ordering the man to "get on the ground," but Myeni did not appear to comply.

Instead of getting on the ground, Myeni turned and charged at the first officer who arrived on the scene and punched him several times, Ballard said.

The second officer tried to get the suspect off his peer, while a third officer arrived at the scene and deployed his Taser on the target, but it was ineffective, Ballard said. The suspect then charged toward the officer who used the Taser, the chief added.

The first officer on the scene then fired a single round, but it's not clear if it hit anyone.

"Officer two then fired three rounds at the suspect, and the suspect then fell to the ground," Ballard said. "This all happened in less than one minute" from the first officer arriving.

The suspect was transported to a hospital in critical condition and later died.

Myeni had no criminal record and no weapons on him, police said. The Honolulu Medical Examiner's Officer identified Myeni and ruled his death a homicide.

His wife, Lindsay, opened up on her heartbreak and denounced the shooting, telling ABC Honolulu affiliate KITV: "He was gentle and loving, and the best father and husband I could've asked for. There's no reason this should have happened. I'm white and I guarantee he would not have been shot had he been white. This is ridiculous."

"Obviously, he wouldn't burglarize. ... We have money. We have everything we need. We're not looking for anything," she said to Hawaii News Now. "He wanted to talk to them for some reason. It says he took off his shoes. I'm sure he did that as a sign of respect."

She said he is from the Zulu Kingdom, a nation in South Africa, and believes his actions may have been misinterpreted.

"In Zulu culture you can go to anyone's house. You can knock on anyone's door. It doesn't matter if its 9 o'clock -- it's not a big deal. Neighbors are neighbors," she said.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

hawley wrote: »
    KwaZulu-Natal Social Development MEC Nonhlanhla Khoza demanded justice for the shooting of Lindani Myeni, allegedly by US police, adding that the US government should "hang its head in shame" as it had become a slaughter house for black people.

Myeni's body arrived at Johannesburg's OR Tambo International Airport on Saturday. A prayer session was held at the airport.
    "The hostility displayed by the trigger-happy Honolulu police has revived wounds," she said.

"Today we are supposed to celebrate Workers' Day, instead we are here at OR Tambo, mourning our son of the soil whose shining light was diminished by the brutal hands of policemen."

She added:

This is a sad indictment on Americans that their country continues to be associated with senseless murder of black people by their police. The murder of our son has reminded us of the trans-Atlantic slave trade and public lynching of black people in America, and South Africa's recent past when black people suffered untold brutality at the hands of an apartheid regime and its security forces. The time has come to be vocal and condemning the [violence] of the police who kill people of black descent."
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.news24.com/amp/news24/southafrica/news/lindani-myeni-death-us-government-should-hang-its-head-in-shame-says-mec-khoza-20210501

It would be good to see major states put pressure on the U.S. over the behavior of their police force. This is a civil rights issue, the only way it can be solved is if trading partners of the U.S. take a stand against police brutality.

Was the killing racially motivated?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭hawley

JaCrispy wrote: »

It seems like they automatically assumed the worst because there was a black man involved. They escalated the situation way too quickly. Even the homeowner's response was over the top. His wife is suing the Hawaiian police force.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

. Even the homeowner's response was over the top.

How would you advise your mother/wife/sister/daughter to act if a total stranger entered their house?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Laurenf35

Ronaldinho wrote: »
    How would you advise your mother/wife/sister/daughter to act if a total stranger entered their house?
    Tell them to make him a sammich

• Advertisement

7,000 miles. Siri tells me.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭RulesOfNature

Wake me up when breakfast is ready

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You'd think this was an American forum.

Attorneys representing the family of the man shot and killed by police April 14 are trying to question the woman who called 911, her husband and the owner of the home where 29-year old Lindani Myeni died following a fight with three police offers responding to a burglary call.

Attorneys James J. Bickerton and Bridget G. Morgan-Bickerton filed the lawsuit April 22 against the three officers and the city, claiming wrongful death, negligence and assault and battery. The suit alleges that Myeni peacefully conversed with the Wangs and left the property. Police officers initiated the fight by aggressively ordering him to the ground with flashlights in his face and guns drawn without identifying themselves as law enforcement.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.staradvertiser.com/2021/05/04/hawaii-news/myeni-familys-attorneys-want-to-query-occupants-owner-of-home/amp/

He had already left the property when the cops arrived. The homeowner was shouting where he was. In South Africa it's common to call to other people's houses with prior notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

It seems like they automatically assumed the worst because there was a black man involved.

Conjecture overload.

• Advertisement

In South Africa it's common to call to other people's houses with prior notice.
    That depends. SA has a massive home invasion problem and many people lock their houses, have gates and window bars, and have guns.
    But yes, with prior notice people do call around, just like any other country.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Confused11811

I don't see the problem here. The police responded to a call from a woman who was clearly distressed , there was a stranger in HER house uninvited. The man acted aggressively towards the police and assaulted one when they arrived.

All the statements about Zulu culture are BS, he wasn't in Africa. He was in America and should have acted like he was in America, where if you enter somebodies home uninvited don't expect to leave alive.

If his was some white bloke who entered the house and assaulted the police and was killed there would not be any fuss.

biko wrote: »
    That depends. SA has a massive home invasion problem and many people lock their houses, have gates and window bars, and have guns.
    But yes, with prior notice people do call around, just like any other country.

I meant to say it's common to call over to people's houses without prior notice. He might not have understood the culture in America.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

He had already left the property when the cops arrived. The homeowner was shouting where he was. In South Africa it's common to call to other people's houses with prior notice.

In South Africa its common to shoot people who come in to your home uninvited. I remember seeing some documentary where in addition to bars on all the outside windows and doors, they have security gates inside the home to secure the sleeping areas at night time also. The idea that it's a friendly place where people wander willy nilly into strangers homes is completely ridiculous and even if it was, he wasn't in South Africa but in a country where its not acceptable to do that.

I mean, come on. You wouldn't call the police if a stranger came into your home uninvited? It's not the same as simply "calling over" is it?

I’m just hear to say I couldn’t give a sh1t about some burglar in the good ol u s of a who’s now dead.

If it wasn’t for the fact that, once again, Hawley has started a thread with a click bait title, I wouldn’t be posting here at all. How many is that in the past week, hawley, three? I don’t remember any of the names either, oh well.

Unfollow

I meant to say it's common to call over to people's houses without prior notice. He might not have understood the culture in America.
    Lindani Myeni is from Empangeni, one of the most dangerous towns in SA.
    He would be well aware of police and what they can do.

This all reeks of some mental episode. An autopsy should reveal if there is drugs in his system.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,239 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

An enjoyable op, theatrical and funny in equal measure.

Congrats.

As for the violent home Invader who staked a woman, broke in to her house. Attached 4 cops. Injuring all, hospitalizing 1, another with severe concussion before his predatory rampage was stopped.

That worked out well for women in the locality and one especially, not just a good day for society.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,239 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

In South Africa he would have been shot long before it, the roughest part of America is a Pleasure compared to where he was from.

I wonder had he stalked and attacked women there. He won't be doing that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Marcos

biko wrote: »
    You'd think this was an American forum.

Perhaps there should be a dedicated thread for all these US policing deaths/murders/incidents/whatever term people wish to use?

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 TrangiaCoffee

JaCrispy wrote: »

This one is a real juicy one with the African name and being black. They will get a lot of mileage with this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

The homeowner should have shot him long before the police were called.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭gw80

She added:

Anastasios tsakos.
    Theres a name for you, look it up

• Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If a stranger ends up IN my house...” hi, how can I help you today ? ” Won’t be my reaction

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

This one is a real juicy one with the African name and being black. They will get a lot of mileage with this one.

Lewis Hamilton is doing up a t-shirt as we speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Shot because of a culture of calling to random houses and making yourself at home is doing some heavy lifting here.

UrbanFret wrote: »
    The homeowner should have shot him long before the police were called.

Even here you can use force to defend your property and yourself.

When I was about 12 somebody tried to break into our house... I woke up to a noise , my dad did too, I heard him going down stairs with his bat a bang of a door getting hit then voices as he turned on the light, a car door banging and driving off.

Called the Gardai, my dad asked the detective what he should do or could do and the Garda said, if you seriously hurt them on the ground floor of your property, it depends, court and or attending Gardai may not look favorably but....if they come upstairs, my advice is to fück them head first back down it, no question... they are then not just committing a break in they are knowing to them, attempting to access a sleeping area where there are people, yourself, wife and children asleep at 3am. He tried to attack you and in the skirmish he fell, end of...

I always remembered that and however true it might be in today’s limp waisted moral mud-bath #neversupportthevictim2021 I’d be viewing it as the best way of self preservation...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

It seems like they automatically assumed the worst because there was a black man involved. They escalated the situation way too quickly. Even the homeowner's response was over the top. His wife is suing the Hawaiian police force.

The home owner assumed the worst? Because there was a man she didn't know was in her house.

What should she have done? Made him tea?

No matter what colour a strange man is in my house I am ringing the police. And if a strange man is in your house then you would be wise to assume the worst.

Whatever about the police we don't know that yet. You cannot blame the homeowner.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Quite funny to see South Africa lecturing the US on police killings, SA police kill three times more people than the US

Oddly enough that seems to fly under Hawleys radar, I guess geography is an important factor in what black lives matter

• Registered Users Posts: 16,355 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

The home owner assumed the worst? Because there was a man she didn't know was in her house.

No matter what colour a strange man is in my house I am ringing the police. And if a strange man is in your house then you would be wise to assume the worst.

Whatever about the police we don't know that yet. You cannot blame the homeowner.

She should have asked if she was making him feel oppressed and was he there to take her home from her as per the BLM give white houses to black people initiative.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

Yep, my last concern is going to be their ethnicity...

First concern my safety and that of my loved ones, they break in they are not there to get your recipe book to make beef stroganoff.

Advertisement