Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Post Covid Bargains, Price Hikes and temporary Shortages

Options
  • 05-05-2021 5:44pm

Now that it looks as though by September we”ll have a level of normality back, what are your retail and second hand market predictions?

I’d say there will be any number of bicycles for sale given the increased level of interest in taking up the activity during lockdown- people will just lose interest.

Pizza ovens will also be in good supply as many purchased over the last year and used them only a few times.

However work clothes will be in huge demand- shirts suits shoes etc and may lead to price increases and shortages.

What else?

Comments

Ah com'on, it's a fun thread. Don't leave me here on my own :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

You won't be able to get a plumber or kitchen fitter this side of 2030.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

The Travel industry will come back in a massive way once the the vaccine certificate is a reality

If vaccines and treatments eventually smother this b@stard virus to nothing more than the flu then we'll see Hospitality industry do the same (this will happen eventually regardless)

Peloton Bikes and other home gym equipment will be all over the second hand markets

hmmm wrote: »
    You won't be able to get a plumber or kitchen fitter this side of 2030.

Garden patio designers/builders are also in short supply this year and Hugh Mungous prices- I think it might tail off though going into 2022 as people move out of their back gardens to Spain, Land of Grotty etc

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Housefree

ShineOn7 wrote: »

Peloton Bikes and other home gym equipment will be all over the second hand markets

Peloton is having a massive recall so people might just get a refund now and luck out, pulling kids underneath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,364 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Garden patio designers/builders are also in short supply this year and Hugh Mungous prices- I think it might tail off though going into 2022 as people move out of their back gardens to Spain, Land of Grotty etc

They'll be back doing the festival builds for Body&Soul, Electric Picnic and All Together Now festivals next year. Hopefully the price of weed will come down again when we hit some normality :D

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Bicycles, garden stuff, hot tubs - basically anything that kept people entertained at home during the lockdowns will be bargains in a few weeks time on adverts!!!

The other side of the coin is services - hairdressers, beauticians will hike their prices. As will hotels, pubs, restaurants.

The second hand car industry is buoyant right now- between Brexit and Covid good second hand cars in much shorter supply that pre-Covid - that and fewer new sales over the last year will keep second hand car prices above normal for the next year or so- great if you purchased in the last year new- depreciation will be less

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

True - we cant get enough 2012 - 2017 used cars in to sell and what we do get in is making a lot more than they did in 2019

Its definitely a sellers market at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Whatever you do, do not get a patio. Paving is obscenely overpriced right now.

• Advertisement

Oh yeah thought of another one - all those hobbies that people took up (me included) - that stuff will all be going cheap in a few weeks time.

The amount of stupid gadgets I bought in the first lockdown is just ridiculous - I bought or built/rebuilt

1 A full sized arcade machine - gets used a bit...not as much as Id like to though.
    2.Restored loads of 1950s furniture / old gramophones
    3 Oculus Quest - used twice
    4. Games consoles - all gathering dust.
    5.2 drones - havent even flown the f**king things yet.
    6.Numerous power tools for my "projects" - never even plugged in.
    7.Fixed up 3 bikes from adverts I got for free -plan was to sell them on and make a few quid and they are still in the shed.

So yep - all those savings I supposedly made went out the window by hoarding other ****!!!

Vicxas wrote: »
    Whatever you do, do not get a patio. Paving is obscenely overpriced right now.

Going to start a patio business - I have enough power tools!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,760 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The Gigs industry will def benefit when they are permitted in return. People will spend money on drinks/food/merch etc, ticket purchases too (most gigs were rescheduled so people would have tickets already)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭xtal191

Prices of dogs/pets will surely come back down, people have been paying mental money for them during lock down and unfortunately I can see lots wanting to get rid when they return to offices etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

The 3 day wedding making a comeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Hellrazer wrote: »
    True - we cant get enough 2012 - 2017 used cars in to sell and what we do get in is making a lot more than they did in 2019

Its definitely a sellers market at the minute.

I’m looking for a 4ish year old secondhand car right now. Not many bargains to be had alright. Do you anticipate better deals to be had once things start opening up and should I wait, or are things just getting started now and now is actually the time to buy?

I’m looking for a 4ish year old secondhand car right now. Not many bargains to be had alright. Do you anticipate better deals to be had once things start opening up and should I wait, or are things just getting started now and now is actually the time to buy?

Id wait until after 1st July when the second round of reg numbers come in.Should be more used stuff around then.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

Gym membership will take a big hit I'd say

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

Buy new Kia, 7 year warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Have a look now. There were 211 delays due to semi conductor shortages worldwide. A large number of new cars went in the road in the past two weeks, so trade ins have come on stream

• Advertisement

xtal191 wrote: »
    Prices of dogs/pets will surely come back down, people have been paying mental money for them during lock down and unfortunately I can see lots wanting to get rid when they return to offices etc

True about the prices and unfortunately an increase in numbers in the dog pounds too as September approaches- saying that, dog pounds have low numbers right now, relative to normal times so if looking for a dog over next 6 months, do focus on the dog pounds folks- some beautiful loving dogs just waiting for you and quite possibly, no better time to get one, if you have decided you can care for one.

Of course, the tourism business will really raise the yen. It's natural.

Lot's of bargains out there- Ireland was never cheap in the summer time and prices aren't exorbitant- I've got some good deals for later in the summer around Ireland so wouldn't agree this will be widespread- renting a house though in scenic locations will be quite extortionate, but it's been that way for a few years now, not just Covid times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

xtal191 wrote: »

This - there is an expectation already that people will want to get rid of pets so anyone who really wants one should hold off until after the summer and get from a rescue.

If any business in this country needs proper regulation and standards it is the puppy business. Love our animals mehole.

Advertisement