Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Revolut asking for PPS number

• 05-05-2021 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I'm new to crypto and using revolut to buy it and today a message pop out that they are missing some of my revenue information - when I clicked it they are asking to pick up a country and then for my pps number.
    Is it normal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I got that message too.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Looptheloop30

Tax man

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I got asked this week too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,899 ✭✭✭✭GBX

To what level do you need to declare to the tax man? I've been doing small transactions with very small amounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

GBX wrote: »
    To what level do you need to declare to the tax man? I've been doing small transactions with very small amounts.

"The first €1,270 of taxable gains in a tax year are exempt from CGT. If you are married or in a civil partnership, this exemption is available to each spouse or civil partner but is not transferable."

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/tax/capital_taxes/capital_gains_tax.html#:~:text=The%20first%20%E2%82%AC1%2C270%20of,partner%20but%20is%20not%20transferable.

So profits over €1270 are taxed but any losses can be written off against that I believe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

GBX wrote: »
    "The first €1,270 of taxable gains in a tax year are exempt from CGT. If you are married or in a civil partnership, this exemption is available to each spouse or civil partner but is not transferable."

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/tax/capital_taxes/capital_gains_tax.html#:~:text=The%20first%20%E2%82%AC1%2C270%20of,partner%20but%20is%20not%20transferable.

So profits over €1270 are taxed but any losses can be written off against that I believe

Above is correct, but it still must be reported every year even if below the limit.

That's the rules anyway, enforcement is a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ThomondBardamu

loki7777 wrote: »
    Hi
    I'm new to crypto and using revolut to buy it and today a message pop out that they are missing some of my revenue information - when I clicked it they are asking to pick up a country and then for my pps number.
    Is it normal?

I'd get your own wallet and buy from an exchange such as coinbase or binance if you can

You've very little control over your crytocurrency if buying off revolut. The only option is to sell back to Revolut.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bingobars

So marriage or CP doesn’t change a thing? What’s the point in it being mentioned then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭relax carry on

bingobars wrote: »
    So marriage or CP doesn’t change a thing? What’s the point in it being mentioned then?

Because people think it does; so it has to be included so people won't try to double up on the annual exemption. Think of it along the lines of why must we warn people "contents may be hot"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Panrich

I'd get your own wallet and buy from an exchange such as coinbase or binance if you can

You've very little control over your crytocurrency if buying off revolut. The only option is to sell back to Revolut.

The times are a changin' there.

https://www.pymnts.com/cryptocurrency/2021/revolut-debuts-withdrawals-bitcoin/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Canonfan

Sorry to hijack the thread, I'm new to this and looking to add some Cryptocurrency to my investment.

What is the difference between using Revolut and Coinbase, or even eToro?

Thank you in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 evster

What happens if you don't share your PPS number?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

loki7777 wrote: »
    Hi
    Is it normal?
    I haven't come across that before with anyone else but I'd still say that it's the type of thing generally that's normal. It's just a part of their compliance.
    There's nothing for you to fear with this - unless you have some foolish intention of not paying your taxes. During the week, it emerged that the IRS has gotten authorisation from the courts to request customer info from Kraken re. all US customers
    that have transacted more than $20k in crypto between 2016-2020. Expect every tax authority to do the same thing in their own sweet time.
    I had to lie on that Revolut tax residency question as I would imagine they would take my account away from me if I confirmed a tax residency in a market that they don't support. Their product is useful to me right now so I'd prefer not to lose access to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

Is etorro the same as revolut similar system ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

richie123 wrote: »
    Is etorro the same as revolut similar system ?

Yep. If you don't have the opportunity to move "your" crypto into your own wallet and do with it what you want, it's not your crypto. You're renting somebody else's crypto.

evster wrote: »
    What happens if you don't share your PPS number?

They will shut you down

• Registered Users Posts: 45,259 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Why wouldn't you share your pps number?

Panrich wrote: »

Only for premium subscribers

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭phishcakes

I use Revolut out of pure handiness, instant transactions, I’ve heard exchanges like coinbase, binance etc can take days per transaction

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

I'm new to this too, started last month using uphold and bought a few different coins including doge, then I realised that uphold don't give you your wallet address for doge (they do for the main ones)so I moved to binance. Binance is not as straightforward as uphold but I'm getting the hang of it, and at least I actually own my doge now. I tried to setup revolut but they wanted my passport which is currently out of date, so until i get that sorted, i'm using a bankcard to input funds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭harmless

phishcakes wrote: »
    I use Revolut out of pure handiness, instant transactions, I’ve heard exchanges like coinbase, binance etc can take days per transaction
    I don't have Revolut but I believe what you buy on there is more like an IOU, so when it comes to changing back to fiat they can charge you whatever rate they want. So you don't really own crypto on Revolut.
    If you actually own it in your own crypto wallet you can sell on the exchange that gives you the best rate.

As for transaction times for crypto it usually depends on how much you are willing to pay in transaction fees. If the network is not busy you can get a transaction in 5 seconds at a fair rate but like all things crypto price is volatile.
    If you pay more transactions fees it's like tipping the miners to skip the queue as they will proprieties the most valuable transactions fees.
    There are sites to calculate fees and transaction times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭loki7777

So what would be the best place to keep and buy crypto?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Panrich wrote: »

Only if you are a premium subscriber .
    I would avoid Revolut ,their fees are high.
    Binance is one I use regularly and can't fault it.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭harmless

buy/sell on kraken.com used them for long long time

for storage use a hardware wallet such as trezor

dont keep your crypto on exchanges, thats a lesson i learned the hardway over last 10 years

Exodus works fine for me and I'm not locked to any market but I understand it's only as secure as my PC or phone is.

Trezor is much safer of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

dont keep your crypto on exchanges, thats a lesson i learned the hardway over last 10 years

Also look into what you need to move them to and from the wallet. Do small transfers first so you don’t mess up and lose them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,203 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Currently learning this lesson the hard way.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Advertisement