Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Surveyor coming today. Questions to ask ?

• 05-05-2021 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Hi folks. So I grabbed a leaflet in the post office about a month ago for the green hub offers. Emailed and I just got a call saying the surveyor is passing later today so he's going to pop in and see what my work for our home.
    I haven't had time to do the research I wanted so I would be grateful if you guys/gals could give me a few of the obvious questions I should be asking. So what I have so far for two adults and two kids in the house.

*6 year old condensing boiler which I zoned and have tado on so I'm not touching the main heat source but a changing to a bigger tank heated off PV might be an option ?

* Semi D with 9 inch cavity block (can't be pumped). Little or no insulation inside or out, it not a huge house so I don't want to lose 4/5 inches off the internal walls. So I'd love to know what to ask about external insulation.

*I insulated the loft last year with 350mm and floored it so that should be okay. Added tile vents to sort a damp/airflow issue.

*PV is where my knowledge base is pretty low as the last time I checked it out is was a pretty new concept and no doubt it has changed since then.

*Windows are about 8 years old and I replaced all the seals last summer so they don't need to be touched

Again any pointers in what to ask would be fantastic

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

* Semi D with 9 inch cavity block (can't be pumped). Little or no insulation inside or out, it not a huge house so I don't want to lose 4/5 inches off the internal walls. So I'd love to know what to ask about external insulation.

As you are now doubt aware this is your weak spot by a mile, our garage extension/conversion is same cavity block (but I got it pumped) and heat retention even with internal studded wall in addition is bad, thankfully just a large utility room and shower so just somewhere to walk through and not "live in".
    If you are in a semi-detatched I'd be asking how external insulation would tie in with neighbours, any downpipes etc?

Heat retention would be my number one concern, PV can be much later down the line especially considering external insulation is big bucks

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

slave1 wrote: »
    As you are now doubt aware this is your weak spot by a mile, our garage extension/conversion is same cavity block (but I got it pumped) and heat retention even with internal studded wall in addition is bad, thankfully just a large utility room and shower so just somewhere to walk through and not "live in".
    If you are in a semi-detatched I'd be asking how external insulation would tie in with neighbours, any downpipes etc?

Heat retention would be my number one concern, PV can be much later down the line especially considering external insulation is big bucks

On really good terms with neighbors, we've both had construction work done and he gave me a dig out fitting a system link to zone my heating. Good few in the 1979 built eastate have had external insulation done and most look well but I'm not up to speck on materials used etc.
    It will be a couple of years before we buy an electric car as we both work local now, no point buying something we won't use. so yes the PV can wait but I want to increase my knowledge base now if possible :)

Advertisement