Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tom Clancy's Without Remorse - Amazon

• 03-03-2021 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,279 ✭✭✭✭

Drops April 30th on Prime.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Wow, they really did a number on the plot of the book.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

This is really just an excuse to have Tom Clancy in the title - like pretty much everything else with his name attached. I remember the book being somewhat slow and torturous anyway.

That said, I loved both seasons of Jack Ryan on Prime. John Krasinski made a really watchable everyman turned field operative though. I hope this new one isn't all serious-face and one-liners.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This looks almost painfully generic; hitting every cliché in the book titled "Rogue operative gets revenge on Shadow'y Former Bosses". And it seems to be playing it all so straight, it might have some accidental comedy value. Hard to imagine this is birthing from the same pool as The Hunt for Red October.

Seems as well like Guy Pearce is getting an easy pay-cheque, his scenes divorced from everything else going on. I'll take a swing that there'll be precisely one scene where he shares a set with the hero character, otherwise we'll keep cutting back to Washington and various "damnit, just find the guy!" phone-calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,279 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

What is with that sh*tty soundtrack? Ugh.
    Hopefully it's just trailer usage.

I'm assuming Lt Greer is somehow related to James Greer of the Tom Clancy universe.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That's a marginally better trailer than the last, but it still looks so very, painfully generic. The star casting of Jordan, and the Tom Clancy brand, is doing a lot of the heavy lifting here 'cos I don't see anything especially new or interesting.

And on a broader sense, I know why they do it, but is anyone else a little sick of this "he's the best of the best, do you know who you just p^ssed off?" trope? It's funny that as iconic and seminal as Die Hard was, there was very little long-term effect on how action films portrayed its stars. We still rarely see "the wrong guy in the wrong place", instead of persisting with these limp power fantasies.

To it's credit, Amazon's "Jack Ryan" managed to avoid that trope.
    Jack was a convincing pen-pusher before reluctantly finding out he was also good in the field.

But yes, that prison scene in the trailer above is more like something from Watchmen than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the crashed car scene. He sets the car on fire and then sits in the burning car. Taking the opportunity to threaten someone with a handgun.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭amacca

The only thing he has more than kills is medals

Riiiiiight

Luckily the prison service sent enough prison guards in full riot gear to subdue him before taking him for his topless toilet break

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Dades wrote: »
    To it's credit, Amazon's "Jack Ryan" managed to avoid that trope.
    Jack was a convincing pen-pusher before reluctantly finding out he was also good in the field.

But yes, that prison scene in the trailer above is more like something from Watchmen than anything else.
    Clark - the lead character in this series - shows up to do the dirty work for Ryan in the books, so they're a shared universe. Without Remorse is the back story to a supporting character in Clear and Present Danger and I think more or less every Jack Ryan novel.

• Advertisement

amacca wrote: »
    The only thing he has more than kills is medals

Riiiiiight

Luckily the prison service sent enough prison guards in full riot gear to subdue him before taking him for his topless toilet break

It's those stupid monologues about how badass the lead character is meant to be that gets me. They haven't been credible since the days of Segal. Oh he's so tough, you could drop him naked on the moon and he'd still turn up to ruin your day. At least something like John Wick leant hard into the balletic combat, owned the cliché a little through sheer crazy energy. While Nobody looks like it'll subvert it through the casting of Bob Odenkirk. This just looks... Well yeah. Like a Segal movie. Murdered wife n all!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,783 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

pixelburp wrote: »
    It's those stupid monologues about how badass the lead character is meant to be that gets me. They haven't been credible since the days of Segal. Oh he's so tough, you could drop him naked on the moon and he'd still turn up to ruin your day. At least something like John Wick leant hard into the balletic combat, owned the cliché a little through sheer crazy energy. While Nobody looks like it'll subvert it through the casting of Bob Odenkirk. This just looks... Well yeah. Like a Segal movie. Murdered wife n all!

Yeah, it's a really weird - and boring - choice for this sort of film. With Odenkirk, or even all the post-Taken Neeson movies, or Denzel's The Equalizer, or Jackie Chan's The Foreigner it kind of works as it's still an auld lad, and everyone likes to see an auld fella roll back the years, getting banged up in the process. But having a jacked 34 year old Michael B Jordan who is obviously badass, and then telling us at length how badass he is, and then showing us at length how badass he is... what's the point? Like, it's just removed all stakes from the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,279 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

As generic an action movie as you will get and crazy that Amazon paid £200m for it.

It passes 90 minutes that's about really.

Edit: This also has to be the weakest script written by Taylor Sheridan who has had a top class hit rate right up to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Dreadful

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Says not available in my location

Why do I even pay for prime at this rate

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

Its a fine Sunday afternoon movie, does what it says in the tin, the most exciting part was the mid end credits scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭conor678

Whatched this last night. Not the best nor the worst either.

Action scenes were good. Felt Jordon wasn't very relatable. Also found the female navy seal leader character a bit unrealistic as to the best of my knowledge there's no women in seal teams. Overall decent viewing for an evenings entertainment but very forgettable.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Says not available in my location

Why do I even pay for prime at this rate
    Are you in the prime app?

It's honestly also not worth your time tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Does this follow the book at all, or does it just use the name?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Messed up plot, crap film. Looks to me to be a 4 hr film they chopped to ****e, making it incoherent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Absolute muck

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

A very bland film. Had all the ingredients to be a lot better, could've been like a Bourne movie, but the results were very beige.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

conor678 wrote: »
    Whatched this last night. Not the best nor the worst either.

Action scenes were good. Felt Jordon wasn't very relatable. Also found the female navy seal leader character a bit unrealistic as to the best of my knowledge there's no women in seal teams. Overall decent viewing for an evenings entertainment but very forgettable.

Google says only 3 women have ever completed SEAL training so who knows. Strange of you to pick that up though, in a World of fantasy.

Watched it tonight... Absolute dirt and I LOVE these kind of movies usually. What a pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭conor678

Firstly the film was bad for a lot of other reasons for that.

My view on the whole female seal leader thing is that in my opinion when it comes to action films based in reality, such as I feel these types of films are supposed to be, then I appreciate at least some element of grounding in reality and relatability and I felt that such a key role in the film being unrealistic makes the rest of it hard to respect. In this respect that's why I found it hard to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

My view on the whole female seal leader thing is that in my opinion when it comes to action films based in reality, such as I feel these types of films are supposed to be, then I appreciate at least some element of grounding in reality and relatability and I felt that such a key role in the film being unrealistic makes the rest of it hard to respect. In this respect that's why I found it hard to believe.

So you're saying a woman isn't allowed to be in that position in a movie because you don't actually know if there's ever been a female SEAL team leader :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I think you're being excessively harsh there in your expectations. I see actions films as a "leave the brain at the door", and just enjoy the fun. In my opinion, film directors, producers, actors in action films have licence to do whatever they wish (unless the film is specified to be based on true events).
    Otherwise it can be a free for all. It's hard to make an argument that it is wrong for Without Remorse to have a female character as Seal leader, but it's ok (in reality terms) for Tom Cruise to be swinging of the Burj Khalifa building in Dubai.

You can't take action movies that serious. If action films were based on reality, they would be pretty boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,661 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Dades wrote: »
    This is really just an excuse to have Tom Clancy in the title - like pretty much everything else with his name attached. I remember the book being somewhat slow and torturous anyway.

The only decent Clancy movie really was The Hunt for Red October, with Patriot Games being also more or less faithful to the book.

Without Remorse though was a great book and the origin of the recurring Clark character, but a COMPLETELY different plot to what I've read about this. I think I'll skip it as it sounds like it has the title and some of the character names, but that's it.

I love all the Ryan universe books though. The newer ones aren't as good, but still better than the recent-ish TV/movie adaptations IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

There is an end credit scene that hints at
    Rainbow Six

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭plastic glass

I thought she was pretty good in the role and pretty bad a55. Maybe slightly young for the role but thought it was a little refreshing. It wasn’t as if the stuck miley Cyrus in the role

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,957 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

As generic an action movie as you will get and crazy that Amazon paid £200m for it.

It passes 90 minutes that's about really.

Edit: This also has to be the weakest script written by Taylor Sheridan who has had a top class hit rate right up to this.

I didn't know Taylor Sheridan was involved

MBJ looks younger than 34, maybe too young for this action lead

Advertisement