Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bill and Melinda Gates are divorcing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2021/0503/1213572-bill-melinda-gates/

Apparently there was no prenup. This'll be an expensive day out for poor Billy. I wonder will he get shafted in the courts?

What'll happen to Microsoft if his ex suddenly becomes such a significant shareholder?

I don't think Bill is even a significant shareholder these days? Couple/few percent? Or do you mean if she buys s lot of Microsoft stock after the divorce?

The main concern seems to be around the foundation they run. Hopefully they can get through it amicably enough. Despite being a bit, er ruthless lol in the 90s they both seem to do as lot of good.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,471 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Just saying...
    o2l5lt8yx5x61.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,549 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Been seeing this across loads of platforms all day, don't know why it's such big news really. Beyond them being famous, there is no wider impact.

Same as Bezos' divorce, not sure why news organisations think people will care.

Seems like they'd agreed on the division of the estate before announcing the divorce anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

2 very dangerous people, have way too much influence in the world and people's lives.

2 very dangerous people, have way too much influence in the world and people's lives.

I don't think so. I think they genuinely try to use their money for good.

Lots of way worse billionaires kicking around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

You'll have to explain that. What makes the Gateses particularly dangerous people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 TrangiaCoffee

Just a diversion as his great reset attention was getting too hot. People won't expect him to be so rich anymore after this, but it will be business as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

it is dangerous to have anyone that rich, even if they seem to be doing good for awhile

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

She married well

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Just a diversion as his great reset attention was getting too hot. People won't expect him to be so rich anymore after this, but it will be business as usual.

Here we go...

• Advertisement

Zero influence in mine

• Registered Users Posts: 23,656 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2021/0503/1213572-bill-melinda-gates/

Apparently there was no prenup. This'll be an expensive day out for poor Billy. I wonder will he get shafted in the courts?

What'll happen to Microsoft if his ex suddenly becomes such a significant shareholder?

It won’t be an expensive day out for anyone as they are choosing to separate amicably, while remaining as partners in their various philanthropic ventures. Their assets are joined in any case so even if they were to split acrimoniously, they were never all Billy’s assets in the first place. Nothing will happen to Microsoft, Billy stepped away from it years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

You'll have to explain that. What makes the Gateses particularly dangerous people?

It depends on who you ask I wouldn't say their dangerous myself but I do think he has done some harm with some of the policies that they have pursued throughtout the world like in India where he hasn't done much good for Indian farmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Hamachi

She married well

So did he in fairness. She’s a smart cookie, who was a solid partner for three decades and a mother to three intelligent, well adjusted kids by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Housefree

Zero influence in mine

Big tech has no influence on you? Even at the back of Boards some Microsoft server is running.

Housefree wrote: »
    Big tech has no influence on you? Even at the back of Boards some Microsoft server is running.

Indeed.

Never written a Word doc, calculated expenses in Excel, or delivered a presentation in PowerPoint? Microsoft tech is ubiquitous.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I was thinking he found a new missus, younger like the one Bezos. But sure isn't she the same age. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Could be some Epstein revelations on the way, if some accounts are correct. She may be distancing herself or securing some assets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

He stepped away from Microsoft years ago, he doesn't really have all that much influence there.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭ulster

Maybe that explains why this site is so slow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,625 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Bored her into submission in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue screen of death.

But how does it influence me, I dont use boards or any social media because Microsoft has anything to do with it, that's like saying the wright brothers influence me because I flew to ibiza on holidays

Hamachi wrote: »
    Indeed.

Never written a Word doc, calculated expenses in Excel, or delivered a presentation in PowerPoint? Microsoft tech is ubiquitous.

Never did any of that stuff, are they the only company doing that sort of thing

Never did any of that stuff, are they the only company doing that sort of thing

No. But Microsoft has a virtual monopoly in the Enterprise segment. If you’ve ever worked in an office, you’ll have used them pretty much daily.

Hamachi wrote: »
    No. But Microsoft has a virtual monopoly in the Enterprise segment. If you’ve ever worked in an office, you’ll have used them pretty much daily.

I've never worked in an office but I get what you're trying to say, I just think it's like saying Daimler or Ford is influencing you because you drove to work in a car, we use it because it's there, not because bill gates made it, it doesn't influence anything because if they didn't supply the software someone else would

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Honestly I think people try and blame problems in their OWN lives on others instead of addressing their own issues.

I can't think of one thing or problem in my life that gates has anything to do with. And i have a lot of problems !:p

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭kennypowers

Shocked at the news .I got the vaccine last week and he never said a word to me about it.:eek:

Shocked at the news .I got the vaccine last week and he never said a word to me about it.:eek:

The microchips in the vaccine don't get their updates until the first Tuesday in the month.

That's why we are learning about it today of course!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,404 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Will he still be able to afford my paid shill cheque??

Advertisement