Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 - 1000 mile challenge - year 12

• 31-12-2020 11:20pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I think this now makes the thread a moody teenager as we start with year 12 of the 1000 mile challenge, the 2020 thread can be found here, but you'd have to be nuts to want to go back to 2020.

The new 2021 version of the Google Docs spreadsheet can be found here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1emZhVLT-NdMgOVZEYopFcFSctkxeAeft4_pi66uTklU/edit#gid=9

Same as previous years we are using Google Docs again, just click on the link above and enter your boardsie name in column A and then how far your total miles are for the year in column C, or if you count in kilometres enter that in column D. If you want you can also enter you age/ gender category in column B and don't forget to update that if you've passed a significant date as I just copied and pasted from the previous years spreadsheet. Your ranking amongst the boardsies is shown on the Positions sheet.

Do not edit any other columns, except for the completion date when you have done your 1000miles. I have manually added the people who had edit access to the locked tab again for this year, and if there is anyone else who wants access to that then you'll need to PM me your Google email address so that I can enable access.

As always, there will be somewhere that I have messed up with the calculations with the number of days in the year or having the wrong year in one of the lines. I tried to find them all, but let me know if you spot an error and I'll get it fixed.
    Post edited by RacoonQueen on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Thanks for the work on this.

Positions tab not doing anything.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Hmmm, can't fix that on mobile. Will need to wind up the PC to see if I can get that sorted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The positions sheet should be working OK now, needed a couple more rows adding on the bottom for the sort formula to work.

Average Weekly Mileage (in the Enter Total Here tab) is still based on a 2020 start date.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Average Weekly Mileage (in the Enter Total Here tab) is still based on a 2020 start date.

That should be fixed now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Thanks for doing this again, I'll be a bit later getting into it this year as off running for another 10 days but hopefully back to the roads then.

Another bug just fixed as some peoples totals were not getting copied to the positions sheet. Let me know if anything else is spotted that is a bit screwy with the pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

robinph wrote: »
    Another bug just fixed as some peoples totals were not getting copied to the positions sheet. Let me know if anything else is spotted that is a bit screwy with the pages.

Thanks for doing this again. Few things. My name isn't transferred to the totals page.

How difficult would it be to put the 'Enter Totals Here' tab in alphabetical order?
    What's the point in the 'Locked' and 'Combined' sheets' tab?

Dudda wrote: »
    Thanks for doing this again. Few things. My name isn't transferred to the totals page.

Your name appears to be showing correctly from what I'm looking at and your listed in the Positions sheet. Is it another page that you can't find yourself?
    How difficult would it be to put the 'Enter Totals Here' tab in alphabetical order?
    Not sure if I can do that without breaking it, but it would make things far simpler for you guys entering details. I'll try to have a play on a copy of the data and see if it would break anything.
    What's the point in the 'Locked' and 'Combined' sheets' tab?

The locked sheet is a legacy from the early versions where we switched from doing the table directly on boards ( :eek: The horror of BBCode tables :eek: ) and it was assumed that people would vandalise the spreadsheet so it was setup to require you to be logged in to Google to be able to edit. The brief bit of vandalism that we had stopped as it was obviously too boring for them to be bothered with so there is now only a couple of us that still bother entering details on that sheet.

The Combined Totals page is where the magic actually happens, both to merge the two sets of data from the Enter Totals Here and Locked sheets, and to then allow the positions sheet to sort things. Could probably be simplified a bit by this stage, but I'm cautious to mess with it too much. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭ArtieFufkin

:p1000 miles done.
    I think that's the earliest I've reached it so far. Happy to have been able to train very consistently over the last few months. Now, when's the next race? :D

• Advertisement

Ah here.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭curtisbrown

Hit the 1609km last Monday, about a week later than last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Crossed 1,000 miles today, running hard into a sudden freezing hail shower, questioning both my resolve and sanity! Getting to 2,000 miles uninjured will be a significant achievement this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Hoping to hit 1,000 miles myself before the end of May, currently on 879.8 miles. Getting very hot and humid where I am though, which is making things a bit difficult. Will be delighted finishing out the year for 2,000 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Behind the curve due to injury, but hit 1k this evening and hoping to still hit 3k to continue the streak.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Meant to post a couple of weeks back. Hit the 1000 mile mark on April 27th. Was thinking id manage 3k this year but probably looking less likely. Still, very happy with progress...Mileage continuously on the up year on year. Hopefully stay injury free and hit the 2k mark around August

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Hit the 1k yesterday during a failed session - bittersweet :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Hit the 1000 mile mark during today's session. Just over a month earlier than last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Hit 1,000 miles on my first run this morning, was 33 degrees and absolutely roasting. Will hopefully get to 2,000 for the year but don't think I'll be keeping up 200 mile months over the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Hit 1,000 on 29 May during a disappointing DNF in the London to Brighton 100k. Hoping to reach 2,000 this year if planned marathon goes ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Hit 1,000 miles today on a glorious sunny morning! Happy with my training, hopefully the next thousand miles are just as good!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Better late than never - crossed the imaginary 1000 mile line today

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

998.45 yesterday. Bah. :pac: 1008.6 today. Last year it wasn't until August.

1,000th mile today. 10 days earlier than last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Passed the 1000 miles somewhere along the Galtee Mountain ridge today - making the most of the fine weather. A couple of days later than my last effort in 2019. Hopeful I'll squeeze in another 1000 before year's end if weekly consistency improves.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭ariana`

Passed 1000m last Thursday, a month earlier than last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Seeing this pop up reminds me that I past 1,000 miles sometime in the past week, first time ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭opus

Got over the 1k mark during the week, not training for Comrades has certainly caused my mileage to drop not that I'm complaining!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

On 1572km for the year which is 972miles so will break 1000miles later this week. I did miss 10 days back in March with a slight calf strain so should have passed 1000 last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Hit 1000 miles for the first time ever earlier this week, pretty chuffed, I think the lack of races in the last while has resulted in me not overdoing it in training and remaining injury free as a result. There's a lesson there somewhere..

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement