Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Private purchase, how to seal the deal?

• 03-05-2021 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

Looking for a new van, got my current one in 2007 and its so long ago can't remember how to do the deal. And when chatting to private sellers I realise many of them aren't sure how to go about it either.

I gather bank drafts can bounce and most private sellers (probably most sellers full stop) want to see the full amount in their bank account before releasing the vehicle.

Question is what safeguards do you have as a buyer after making the transfer ? How are private vehicle purchases normally completed ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭mk7r

Cash is king

• Registered Users Posts: 81,058 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd do the following...
    Check on www.cvrt.ie that van has a valid test.
    Check if the ownership of the van has changed in the last 3 months, if that's the case it could raise a flag of possibly being a lemon, could also be just someone who flips vans.. https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/changeOwnership.do
    Check is the seller is the owner on the logbook.
    If value is up to say €5k I'd be thinking do it in cash, if over that amount I'd be leaning towards a bank transfer. If I was a seller I'd be iffy about taking a draft unless I could verify it was legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

Looking for a new van, got my current one in 2007 and its so long ago can't remember how to do the deal. And when chatting to private sellers I realise many of them aren't sure how to go about it either.

I gather bank drafts can bounce and most private sellers (probably most sellers full stop) want to see the full amount in their bank account before releasing the vehicle.

Question is what safeguards do you have as a buyer after making the transfer ? How are private vehicle purchases normally completed ?

Some prefer getting vehicle finance and let them deal with a private seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

mk7r wrote: »
    Cash is king

Thats probably fine if you're buying something under 2K

But me hole if I'm giving much more than that in cash to a lad In a car park etc

They may join me in the bank , do a transfer and sign over the logbook there. If their not game then there's other cars out there thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭JC01

Thats probably fine if you're buying something under 2K

But me hole if I'm giving much more than that in cash to a lad In a car park etc

They may join me in the bank , do a transfer and sign over the logbook there. If their not game then there's other cars out there thanks

I’ve bought and sold dozens of cars everywhere from 200e - 20k and I’ve never dealt in anything but cash.

I’d never take anything else as payment and in my experience 95% of sellers would be the same.

Out of curiosity why wouldn’t you deal in cash?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭JC01

WhomadeGod wrote: »
    There is potential of being attacked and money stolen is a big one.

Your not gonna ring a lad and just land out to a carpark with 20k cash though?

Go view, agree a price and feel things out, leave 50e deposit, then meet up after with the cash once both parties are comfortable?

Cash element aside I’ve twice point blank refused to enter certain areas so I do understand the security concern but using your head mitigates that down to pretty much nil.

Only reason I ask is because I’ve never come across a private buyer/seller adamant on doing a transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

As Whomadegod said above

I wouldn't be carrying any cash to a deal. The risk of being attacked, robbed etc.

Very dodge I think. And definitely if it was a vehicle up to around €20K then I'd be going to a reputable dealer who accepts other forms of payments and gives full receipts and warrenties etc. Not a chance would I be giving that cash over to a random bloke without some kind of guarantee.

That's no offense to you and it sounds like you've been lucky but I know an awful lot of people that wouldn't trust that for a second and I certainly wouldn't.

I'd have no issue if the car was under 3K and it all looked legit. But even then I'd be bringing someone with me and leave the cash with them elsewhere not on my person. Just too many dodgy lads out there and scams etc.

I don't see why anyone would have an issue with a back draft, it's as good as cash and cuts out any scam etc because it can be cancelled if something goes wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Meet in a bank, withdraw the cash with them there, get them to sign a receipt pre-printed for it and do it under the cctv camera.

Bank drafts the same - only for larger amounts you may have to give them warning . The draft comes straight out of youe bank account and if they lose the draft then only you can ask for it to be cancelled and the money re-issued into another draft. Do the same with the receipt.

No other way.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Back when I worked in a bank, we would often have people come in to get a draft for the car and then they'd hand it over to the person who was with them, who turned out to be the seller. Seller accompanies buyer to the bank and can witness the draft being done up so they know it's genuine.

You don't have to give notice for large drafts but for large cash amounts you often need to give 24 hours notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Thanks guys. Was wondering was there some 3rd party mechanism I wasn't aware off but it looks like the choice is the usual methods.

One seller doesn't trust drafts and wants a bank transfer. Thinking about it, unlike cash at least with a transfer there is a record of the transaction.

Regarding the logbook, I remember signing it then going with the seller with it and popping it on the post. That way we both new the ownership transfer was in progress.

• Advertisement

I'd do the following...
    Check on www.cvrt.ie that van has a valid test.

Only seeing registration. Would you have the specific link where you can check the test status for any van ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭User1998

Its handy if you and the seller are with the same bank as you can do an instant transfer there and then

Revolut is also good in these situations

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭MayBee

Quick question for sellers accepting cash, would you not be afraid that you’d end up with some dodgy notes ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

As for being robbed of the cash, sure the seller would run the same risk. What is to stop anyone doing a "general" on it, doing the deal, pay the cash, then go straight down to the Garda station to ask some stupid question about transfer of ownership at the counter while you accomplice who waited around the corner headbutts the seller and takes back the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭Hoboo

MayBee wrote: »
    Quick question for sellers accepting cash, would you not be afraid that you’d end up with some dodgy notes ?

Same way as you could end up with a dodgy car. Check them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Hoboo wrote: »
    Same way as you could end up with a dodgy car. Check them.

Absolutly.... get a note pen .... spread them out like a fan and put the pen across them ....

I've always said if persons got nothing to be afraid of then they won't mind

• Registered Users Posts: 81,058 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Only seeing registration. Would you have the specific link where you can check the test status for any van ?

https://operator.cvrt.ie/Vehicle/CRWExpiryTestReminder

Wasn't seeing link on the phone but quite clear on the laptop.

https://operator.cvrt.ie/Vehicle/CRWExpiryTestReminder

is the exact link for anyone else interested

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

How can a bank draft bounce?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭Allinall

How can a bank draft bounce?

There can be forged bank drafts.

Best way is a draft. Finalise the deal during banking hours. The seller can phone the bank and they will vouch for the draft.

Only takes 5 minutes.

It also ensures the seller is genuine, as the draft will be made out to their name, and will have to be lodged .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

good look phoning a bank. Next to impossible.
    half an hour pressing buttons and on hold and eventually you talk to someone only for them to say "oh, soryyyyyyy now, that isn't my department. call customer serrrvicccce"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭Allinall

good look phoning a bank. Next to impossible.
    half an hour pressing buttons and on hold and eventually you talk to someone only for them to say "oh, soryyyyyyy now, that isn't my department. call customer serrrvicccce"

Last time I did it, when buying the draft I asked for a number to ring for verification. Was given a direct line and seller had no problem getting through.

Two more questions guys. Tax is out and a van is bought. Do you have to wait until you receive the registration document in the post before you can tax it ? Or does a motor tax office use an online system and would have access to the ownership change earlier ?

And secondly how long does it take between a doe being done and the new date showing on https://operator.cvrt.ie/Vehicle/CRWExpiryTestReminder ? Is it instantaneous ?

Advertisement