Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cuan Mhuire question

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Thanks guys, hard not really having someone to talk to that has been throu the same.

When I was told I was being discharged yesterday part of me was disappointed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Belkin1975

Hi, my sister is heading to Cuan Mhuire soon. She was sober for a very long time, nearly 20 years and fell off the wagon. Many stresses going on but doesn’t want to be back where she was before she got sober before. She was in Cuan Mhuire before. My question is does Laya cover any of the expenses. Trying to do the research part for her as I’m proud of her realising she has to go back to go forwards so to speak. She is dreading it but it did help her before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Belkin1975 wrote: »
    Hi, my sister is heading to Cuan Mhuire soon. She was sober for a very long time, nearly 20 years and fell off the wagon. Many stresses going on but doesn’t want to be back where she was before she got sober before. She was in Cuan Mhuire before. My question is does Laya cover any of the expenses. Trying to do the research part for her as I’m proud of her realising she has to go back to go forwards so to speak. She is dreading it but it did help her before.

No they don't accept health insurance there. They accept it in private hospitals such as St Pats or St John of God's, or in some private treatment centres such as Smarmore, Tabor Group, the Rutland etc.

If I were her, I'd go for one of those private places rather than Cuan Mhuire. Unless she's especially religious.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭drunk_monk

Last year Cuan Mhuire Athy most definately did take private health care. At least for the men anyway. There are 2 single rooms for private health care use. I'm not sure about the women though but they surely do now with the new building (nearly?) completed?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭MikeCairo78

No they don't accept health insurance there. They accept it in private hospitals such as St Pats or St John of God's, or in some private treatment centres such as Smarmore, Tabor Group, the Rutland etc.

If I were her, I'd go for one of those private places rather than Cuan Mhuire. Unless she's especially religious.

Probably late to the party here. CM does accept insurance, however, the question is why. It dovetails with illness benefit perfectly.

I have health insurance, and had been to Pats, to little avail. A holiday camp was how my partner described it.

Since CM I have been sober 18months - the best 18 months of my life. Their is a religious component to the place, but the programme itself has kept me on the straight and narrow since I left.

I am not religious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Probably late to the party here. CM does accept insurance, however, the question is why. It dovetails with illness benefit perfectly.

I have health insurance, and had been to Pats, to little avail. A holiday camp was how my partner described it.

Since CM I have been sober 18months - the best 18 months of my life. Their is a religious component to the place, but the programme itself has kept me on the straight and narrow since I left.

I am not religious.

That's brilliant news! My OH was there 3 years ago and still sober. It worked well for him. But he still needs to get some sort of support but refuses he still thinks he can do it all himself and maybe he can, maybe he's strong enough. I support him all the way but that fear doesn't leave the partner/husband/wife altogether but I think that's just a way of trying to protect ourselves. He's really done amazing, the routine there really helped him. Not sure I would have been string enough if in his shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Newuser2

Are these places all closed atm

Someone has asked me to enquire about treatment

• Registered Users Posts: 21,103 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Open TMK.

Water John wrote: »
    Open TMK.

TMK?

Sorry, to my knowledge (TMK), pretty sure.

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    Sorry, to my knowledge (TMK), pretty sure.

Thanks you dont happen to if a medical card can get you in anywhere residential

Or are they all cash or insurance

Thanks

Sorry, don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Newuser2 wrote: »
    Thanks you dont happen to if a medical card can get you in anywhere residential

Or are they all cash or insurance

Thanks
    To my knowledge If the person is on the dole(with medical card it's likely) it gets transferred to cuin mhuire and then they pay the person an allowance of 88 a week I think and keep the 100. Might have changed slightly if the dole has gone up over the last few years. The 88 is used to buy tobacco and things like that.
    That'd what i remember from my brother telling me when he went in.

iamtony wrote: »
    To my knowledge If the person is on the dole(with medical card it's likely) it gets transferred to cuin mhuire and then they pay the person an allowance of 88 a week I think and keep the 100. Might have changed slightly if the dole has gone up over the last few years. The 88 is used to buy tobacco and things like that.
    That'd what i remember from my brother telling me when he went in.

Thanks but I presume there's lengthy delays still getting in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Newuser2 wrote: »
    Thanks but I presume there's lengthy delays still getting in?

I've no idea with covid at the moment but the best thing to do is get the person to ring them. Not you the person in question, they will get them to ring back everyday for a few days to show they really want help and then the give you a date.
    If your just looking for info just ring them tomorrow yourself they are used to calls like this.

Coolmine is defo open at the moment, they work with whatever the persons financial situation is. A good alternative if the person isn't into the whole religious thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Coolmine is defo open at the moment, they work with whatever the persons financial situation is. A good alternative if the person isn't into the whole religious thing.

A family member did a stint in chuin bhuire over the summer...unfortunately their back drinking...

I was uneasy about the focus on god, and it seemed to put a lot emphasis on god helping them remain sober. Which to me, really doesn't acknowledge the hard work to remain sober, and demolished the patients efforts...

But the family member is adamant they aren't going back into any rehab facility, as they have work coming on stream soon...

I'm having enough trouble processing the current situation and have no idea what emotions I'm experiencing

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

Hi,

Am I the only one wondering how Petes got on? :o

laoisgem wrote: »
    Hi,

Am I the only one wondering how Petes got on? :o

Yeh I wonder how he got on not sure what way things are working atm with covid restrictions

I ended up relapsing mid February, that lasted about 3 weeks of heavy drinking. I ended up back in hospital for 5 days being detoxed, I also cut my wrists (luckily not deep enough :)), not sure if I wanted to end things or just that I was drunk and impulsive and just didn't want to to drink but couldn't help it.

Fast forward and I reached out to Turas, a place in Dundalk and was able to do most of their program remotely....damn covid.

I go to a weekly men's group (it's a smart recovery meeting) along with counseling and looking after myself from eating to going for walks etc.

Thought I wouldn't have a job after all of the above but I'm back at work 2 weeks, they've been great. Also on anti depressants.

So pretty much throwing everything at it lol.

So, doing okay :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

Sorry to hear about your rough patch Pete, glad things are going well now. Are you still on the list for Cuan Mhuire? do you still intend on going there?

laoisgem wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your rough patch Pete, glad things are going well now. Are you still on the list for Cuan Mhuire? do you still intend on going there?

Not intending on going there, too much religion I think. Going to just keep working at my mental health, relapse prevention techniques and smart meetings :)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭prishtinaboy99

petes wrote: »
    Not intending on going there, too much religion I think. Going to just keep working at my mental health, relapse prevention techniques and smart meetings :)

For me its a spiritual program not a religious one, i mean i know plenty of atheists in AA too so no problem for them. When i first went i was a bit wary of the God thing but needed not be worried about it in the end.

Anyhow good luck with your journey and take care of yourself.

For me its a spiritual program not a religious one, i mean i know plenty of atheists in AA too so no problem for them. When i first went i was a bit wary of the God thing but needed not be worried about it in the end.

Anyhow good luck with your journey and take care of yourself.

Completely understand and everyone's path is different. I still don't like the guise of a higher power in AA when it's still completely transfixed on God.

But if it works for some then it's a few more that has conquered it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CuriousNoob

Hi everyone 👋

I have a family member who is due to have an assessment at Cuan Mhuire in a couple of weeks. Do you know if they would admit someone straight away or is there a waiting period to be admitted?

Thanks 😊

Hi everyone 👋

I have a family member who is due to have an assessment at Cuan Mhuire in a couple of weeks. Do you know if they would admit someone straight away or is there a waiting period to be admitted?

Thanks 😊

Is it for the drug program or alcohol? As far as I remember you're usually waiting longer for the drug program.

If you ring every day you're likely to get in quicker. (Not something I necessarily agree with, as it feeds into the addict's desire for instant gratification, but there ya go! Other programs will go strictly by a waiting list, Cuan Mhuire not so much, whoever shouts the loudest.)

Unless your family member is particularly religious, it's also well worth considering other non-religious programs, such as Coolmine.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭MikeCairo78

petes wrote: »
    Completely understand and everyone's path is different. I still don't like the guise of a higher power in AA when it's still completely transfixed on God.

But if it works for some then it's a few more that has conquered it.

For me, unreligious as I am, it was a case of I havent figured this on my own, I have tried other treatments, Im on my knees, Ive had enough, Im giving myself over. It wasnt to the big G O D or anything, but once I did that I got through I got my family back and am still sober

For me, unreligious as I am, it was a case of I havent figured this on my own, I have tried other treatments, Im on my knees, Ive had enough, Im giving myself over. It wasnt to the big G O D or anything, but once I did that I got through I got my family back and am still sober

Not going to get in to the ins and outs of it. As I said if something works for someone then great :)

Is it for the drug program or alcohol? As far as I remember you're usually waiting longer for the drug program.

If you ring every day you're likely to get in quicker. (Not something I necessarily agree with, as it feeds into the addict's desire for instant gratification, but there ya go! Other programs will go strictly by a waiting list, Cuan Mhuire not so much, whoever shouts the loudest.)

Unless your family member is particularly religious, it's also well worth considering other non-religious programs, such as Coolmine.

Yeh it is funny how things can work for one person but not another. My bf felt he was more committed to going in if he rang at the same time every day it felt like one step closer to getting in and he was desperate to go because he was so weary of feeling so sick and miserable. But others it might feel different.

• Advertisement

Hi everyone 👋

Thanks 😊

For alcohol my bf rang daily but I'm the end he was practically in tears down the phone asking if they could take him earlier and they managed to in fairness.

Advertisement