Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to Shave the legs?

• 03-05-2021 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

Ive looked through some old threads on this and there were mixed opinions on it but the last one was 5 years ago. I'm new to cycling and have never shaved my legs. With the summer coming along is it time to get the Veet / razor out?

Do you shave your legs or not and what are your reasons for doing so?

Shaved Legs, Yay or Nay? 20 votes

Yes, of course, what kind of ridiculous question is that?
    0%
    Eh no
    100%
    Type 17triggermortisloinnsighPlastik07LapierreG1032daragh_meercatMacy0161TheBlaaManbreezy1985vistafinderEamonnatorReality_Check1eeeeeCharlie69koutoubiaOymyakonBiker79CorkGunJonny 20 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭homer911

I'm guessing you are a bloke..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Eh no
    100% shave your legs.

Otherwise forever be branded a Fred.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

Eh no
    homer911 wrote: »
    I'm guessing you are a bloke..

Yes should have stated that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Eh no
    Biker79 wrote: »
    100% shave your legs.

Otherwise forever be branded a Fred.
    A Fred with shaved legs is far more acceptable then a Fred with hairy legs!

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Not a hope I would.
    A pro was discussing it before and said if you come off the bike, it's easier to treat the wound. Other than that, I see no reason why any man would shave their legs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭secman

I'm lucky enough to not have any hairs on my legs at all, used to have to shave about 20 years ago but haven't had to for about 10 years now :) .
    Mates always forget and as soon as shorts come out they usually comment that i shaved. No cuts no nada :)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,093 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

koutoubia wrote: »
    I really do not care - it's not happening with this Fred

Eh no
    Beasty wrote: »
    I really do not care - it's not happening with this Fred

I feel bad for asking but what is a Fred? I feel like asking makes me one :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I rarely bother anymore. I used to alright for the small bit of racing I used to do but now I find I'm so rarely out without leg warmers I couldn't be ar$Ed with the clammy itchiness and the ingrowing hairs. If you've some killer calf definition and tan easily it's worth it but otherwise...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

For the time and effort, no, for nearly all of us there is no risk to not doing it and no real benefit to it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,182 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

have never tried it, never contemplated it. only reason i can think would make it worth it was if i was afraid of getting road rash.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,947 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I feel bad for asking but what is a Fred? I feel like asking makes me one :o
    Take the Sticky Bottle test:

https://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/cycling-fred-bingo-card/

I always thought that the pros only do it to make massages easier :confused:

I don't even shave my face let alone any other part of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Eh no
    koutoubia wrote: »

Correct. Points are awarded for a dignified effort.

Sock height can also mitigate against poorly maintained guns. Not by much though.

You can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear ( ..or something like that ).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,225 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Eh no

I have Fred feet. I think I'm in the clear for the rest

As much as I would love clipless for my long spins I use it for commuting way more so the basic pedals stay

Eh no

Thought I was in the clear but I would be susceptible to the odd coffee and cake stop on shorter rides :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,261 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

question is where do you stop ?

Eh no
    question is where do you stop ?

At the silk purse like Biker79 said above

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭cletus

It doesn't look like I'm a Fred from the sticky bottle website, but I don't shave my legs, I wear ankle socks when cycling, I take pictures of the non drive side of the bike, I measure distance in miles...

There are studies that suggest a saving of between 40 and 90 seconds over 40km by simply shaving your legs. I don't need to save that sort of time.

The massage thing baffles me too. I have particularly hairy legs, and have had leg massages in the past. Once the massage therapist is using enough oil, it's not an issue.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,182 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my beard has gotten long enough that i can now feel a slight drag on my face when going at speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭corelokttikka

I’m still in bib tights however I did a rough shave electrically as when I was getting a massage the hairs we’re getting ripped out so getting legs massaged much better without hairy legs.

Eh no
    cletus wrote: »
    It doesn't look like I'm a Fred from the sticky bottle website, but I don't shave my legs, I wear ankle socks when cycling, I take pictures of the non drive side of the bike, I measure distance in miles...

There are studies that suggest a saving of between 40 and 90 seconds over 40km by simply shaving your legs. I don't need to save that sort of time.

The massage thing baffles me too. I have particularly hairy legs, and have had leg massages in the past. Once the massage therapist is using enough oil, it's not an issue.

Many of the rules are just a bit of fun and I wouldn't worry too much.

But ankle socks are an absolute sin and have no place near a bike

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭cletus

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Many of the rules are just a bit of fun and I wouldn't worry too much.

But ankle socks are an absolute sin and have no place near a bike

If I'm wearing shorts on the bike, then I'm wearing ankle socks. Sometimes they're so low, it looks like I'm not wearing socks at all

All of my socks on or off the bike getting into this time of year when I'll be in some kind of shorts all the time are ankle socks.

I've the added benefit from being out of long socks and trousers of the hair on my lower claves growing back :)

Eh no
    Ye are all evil :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Eh no
    Standards on this Forum have gone off a cliff. Time was you would get PermaBanned for suggesting you didn't need shaved legs at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Eh no
    Shave legs? Yes

Fake tan? No that’s a step too far!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Eh no
    Tan easily
    Use to shave * - loved the feeling!
    Didn't do so in past 2 summers
    Thinking of doing so again **
    ......but might not bother if it looks like I won't get away out foreign this summer

* used to wet shave, ultra cool, but too much trouble and itches like a bitch after 2-3 days so resorted to a trim back to <1mm stubble with a lecky razor and then refreshed every week/10 days;

* keeping it to hair shorts - she fcukin' hates that though ;)

EDIT:
    And as for ankle socks?
    ....get in to the sea with ye!

i actually don't know what people mean by ankle socks - socks that only come up to the ankle? or ones that go a few inches above it?

• Advertisement

Eh no
    i actually don't know what people mean by ankle socks - socks that only come up to the ankle? or ones that go a few inches above it?

They show off your ankle. It's the kind of shameful muck that triathletes would wear

Advertisement